Ombré help-new client colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justkaz

Reaction score
Really need some advise please.

Have a new client coming in on Saturday. She has red all over and wants an ombré colour of a chocolate brown going to a blonde. I will attach some pics of her hair now and what she would like. I have not seen this client in person only through the picture.

Now I have had very little experience with ombré. So am sooo nervous. I have done just a couple of ombres where I have only bleached and toned the mid lengths and ends. They turned out great.

Have also stretched my daughters roots down with a Demi and didn't touch her ends. They also turned out great. But I haven't combined the roots and ends in one sitting.

I have searched you tube and found a couple of tutorials but they smudged the colours down towards the mid lengths but was on virgin hair and it didn't go all the way to the bleach.

Now with this colour been a colour correction I have to colour all the hair. I was talking to my supplier and she said she just smudges the bleach to where the tint/demi will go to.
Because I haven't done this I am worried the bleach sitting on the tint will make a gold brassy mess. She said it doesn't but am feeling skeptical.

Now because it is red I was thinking to give it a cleanse with a bleach bath first to strip out some of the red. Not sure of the condition of the hair so will probably recommend it to be more of a caramel colour on the ends incase the ends won't lift enough. So am using affinage and was thinking 5.01 on roots and depending how much I can lift the ends maybe 7.01 or 8.01 with 6.01 on mid lengths. Or should I forget the 6.01 and just smudge the two colours on mid lengths to create a 6.01.

Or should I do the dark colour first. Wash, dry and then do the ombré then tone?

It's 1:00am so apologies if this doesn't make sense. Was booked out today (Thursday) and again tomorrow and have spent all night on you tube and trying to figure this out. And over thinking. Haha. Anyway as nervous as I am I love a challenge. So would really love to get into ombré, balyage etc. have been barbering for the last few years so am not up to date with the latest techniques. Have a home salon so am bound to get more of this type of work I hope. Am familiar with goldwell and if I think really hard wella.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415287183.518525.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415287201.198738.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415287223.503175.jpg.

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

It would be alot easier to go in with the colour eraser to remove the red tone before starting anything. Do you know what colour your client has been usuing?

It would be alot easier to go in with the colour eraser to remove the red tone before starting anything. Do you know what colour your client has been usuing?

No idea. Im going to presume a box colour. I have only used a stripper years ago. I think affinage have one. Can you recommend a brand? I'm flat out tomorrow so will have to order it first thing tomorrow morning.

No idea. Im going to presume a box colour. I have only used a stripper years ago. I think affinage have one. Can you recommend a brand? I'm flat out tomorrow so will have to order it first thing tomorrow morning.
I find the affinage one nice. It removes the colour without damage. It's best to find out what she has used. No one wants to find sneaky bleach under colour. Or even xxl.

I find the affinage one nice. It removes the colour without damage. It's best to find out what she has used. No one wants to find sneaky bleach under colour. Or even xxl.

Thanks jaymz. I will definitely find out the history to what is underneath.

be aware affinage colour eraser will not work on all home hair dyes due to certain chemical ingredient.
defiantly my go to colour remover for salon colour dyes. i would recommend a strand test in the eraser and a bleach bath and see what happens personally i wouldnt attempt it as it looks like from the photo there's alot of red/violet pigment in the hair and if she has been applying the dye herself it could be very patchy and Over lapped of colour upon colour which will make your work even more difficult

Last edited:
be aware affinage colour eraser will not work on most home hair dyes .
defiantly my go to colour remover for salon colour dyes.

I've used it on quite alot of home hair colours and it has been fine..

I've used it on quite alot of home hair colours and it has been fine..

thats good to know. have you tried it on live xxl??:|

thats good to know. have you tried it on live xxl??:|

Yeah. That's 1 type of home hair colour that won't shift...With anything!!... have you tried it on anything else..

Yeah. That's 1 type of home hair colour that won't shift...With anything!!... have you tried it on anything else..

i haven't but xxl is a absolute nightmare but cant tell the public anything lol they look at the glossy adverts and just think us hairdressers are telling lies.. such a nightmare.
just going back to the 1st post im surprised you would attempt it honestly i wouldn't touch it :sad: just isn't worth the stress

i haven't but xxl is a absolute nightmare but cant tell the public anything lol they look at the glossy adverts and just think us hairdressers are telling lies.. such a nightmare.
just going back to the 1st post im surprised you would attempt it honestly i wouldn't touch it :sad: just isn't worth the stress

The eraser works on quite along of colours tbh. I agree it will be stressful. But yeah the xxl is a nightmare. I read somewhere it's full of metallic salts and fills your hair will silicone so colours just wash straight off.. :/

...Follow my Instagram "Jaymzcutshair"

The eraser works on quite along of colours tbh. I agree it will be stressful. But yeah the xxl is a nightmare. I read somewhere it's full of metallic salts and fills your hair will silicone so colours just wash straight off.. :/

yeah i heard that too in my opinion it should be banned lol

yeah ive got instagram too ive checked yours out you've got mad talent, is colouring your thing?

yeah i heard that too in my opinion it should be banned lol

yeah ive got instagram too ive checked yours out you've got mad talent, is colouring your thing?

Ah thanks. That's just my signature. Colouring is my key thing. But I do the rest as well :)

Ah thanks. That's just my signature. Colouring is my key thing. But I do the rest as well :)

Where in Norfolk are you?

Near kings lynn. Whyy

I'm in Norwich. Your Instagram is blowing my mind.

Wow, your work is amazing!

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Jaymz what colour house do you use?

Jaymz what colour house do you use?

It varies. If you want to know anything dm on instagram with the photo :)

Ok just an update on this colour. I had her booked in yesterday morning. She had stacks of box colour built up in the hair. I'm talking red, violet, black, bleach and the reds had been put in every couple of weeks. Even knowing all this i still went ahead 😱. Considering her hair was still strong and in fairly good condition. As I said in original post I'm inexperienced with this technique but am all about learning and a good challenge. I warned her with her history of colours it may not turn out but there is no way we can achieve the cooler tones. She was still keen and totally understood.

So I started with a bleach bath on roots to midlengths and then through the ends for the last couple of minutes and it lifted to that lovey orange.
Then used 5.01 and 3% on roots and took it down a few inches. Smudge in 1/2 7.01 and 1/2 6.01 and 3% and took down a few inches. Combed it through a bit and used powder and 6% on ends in a balayage technique.

The ends came up nice but the midlengths were still a bit warm. (Was debating using 9% on midlengths) Applied 7.01 and silver concentrate with 1.5% for 25 mins all over. Came up nice.

She was very happy with it but told her she needs to come back in 2 weeks for another toner to really stain the hair. She rebooked and paid in advance.

Is there anything different that you guys would have done? What I did notice was where the regrowth was (about 3-4 weeks) I could still see it if I looked really closely (she wouldn't be able to see it but I could only just see a slight difference). She was about a 6 base but it did lift a little when I put the bleach bath on. Because she went darker I didn't think it would still be noticeable. Should I have used a Demi instead of 3%? And the colour was still quite warm as well (on regrowth). Other then that it looked good considering what we started with.

All opinions/advise is welcome, good or bad 😊
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415490982.646651.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415491005.818735.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415491034.260184.jpg

Latest posts

Back