one for the skin geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
I am going nuts, I have a broken ankle, and have had a screw fixation. I had 10 staples in it and I have a removable cast, so I can take it of to flex the joint as it heals and hopefully limit the stiffness.
Now the wound is healing nicely, its not weeping or gunky but the skin is very tight and the whole of my lower leg has very dry skin. In fact my skin looks about 70 years old, has that paper dry thin look, I'm 43 haven't had a tan for years and the rest of me is fine.
My usual skin care is to shower with something like dove moisturizer shower creme and then rub baby oil in while still in the shower. then I'll use dove body moisturizer, or what ever is on offer when I need new.
I'm on statutory sick pay, so going to a beauty salon is out of the question for now. But I do have access to whole sales, I'm not trying to do a diy beauty treatment, just minimize the dry skin and help the sugary wound not to heal up tight. I'm so desperate that I even thought of going to the collage and letting the students help, but then I thought of them touching my ankle and thought better of it. LOL Any way any and all help would be gratefully received.

i know this isnt a proff product but what about using some bio oil?

i know this isnt a proff product but what about using some bio oil?
Oh god if I had a brain I'd be dangerous:eek: I cant belive I'd forgoton that stuff. We used it on my Kayleigh after she had her apendix out. ok, that sorts the scar out, please help with the old looking dry skin:cry:

would it not help with the dry bit. i've found it to be quite good

wold it not help with the dry bit ive found it to be quite good

I supose I could try that but as I recall the bottle wasn't that big and its quite expensive, money is an issue until I go back to work in June. I was realy hopeing for some one to tell me which ingredient to look out for in a moisturier when I'm at the whole sales or maby a realy good brand, for example when lotus blossom told us about the cucumber heel therapy. But I do thank you for your help:hug:

I would try jojoba oil - its not cheap, but its entirely natural, can be used as a moisturiser and it closely resembles the skins sebum.

I had my wrist in a cast for 7 weeks solid at the end of last/beginning of this year, and when it came off (it wasn't removeable) my skin was awful. It really improved very quickly though - so don't worry about it too much.

I would try jojoba oil - its not cheap, but its entirely natural, can be used as a moisturiser and it closely resembles the skins sebum.

I had my wrist in a cast for 7 weeks solid at the end of last/beginning of this year, and when it came off (it wasn't removeable) my skin was awful. It really improved very quickly though - so don't worry about it too much.
Thanks hun will give that a go:hug:

vitamin e is a good oil and has healing properties too the body shop do their own range and a reasonable price

If we are talking non professional products then The body shop do a fab product for very dry skin called HEMP,they do a wide range of products all for very dry skin conditions.

When I had both legs in plaster,years ago,and they took my casts off my legs were exactly the same as yours Susie.It is something that quickly returns to normal but you will need to exfoliate to get all that dry skin then use a really rich moisturiser several times a day to get back to tip top condition.

If there's no open wounds try adding a little oil to a bath,Oilatum is excellent and can also be rubbed into the skin if showering instead.This can be brought over the counter or on prescription.HTH

Hope this doesn't sound too obvious, but what is your diet &water intake like? if you have any kind of illness/surgery, the body puts all of its effort into healing. So the rest of the body can suffer for a while. Although putting moisturiser etc on is extremely vital, are you drinking enough fluid, especially water? The body needs as much of this as it can get at the moment, while it continues to heal. Also think about what natural oils yu are eating, maybe add avacados, oily fish etc. This will help your skin enormously & help your body to heal well. What about exfoliation? You will often find the dry skin just sits on the surface & if you moisturise, you just moisturise dead skin. If you are not doing this already try using an exfoliating mitt a couple of times a week before your shower, then moisturise afterwards. This can make a real difference.
Let us know how you get on.

try mixing Sugar and Olive oil. It great to use all over too. you could even mix in a few drops of lavendar e.o. its very healing and smells great! Vitamin E capsules I have found to be great for scar healing.

If we are talking non professional products then The body shop do a fab product for very dry skin called HEMP,they do a wide range of products all for very dry skin conditions.

I agree with BABSann - Hemp Oil has some wonderful rehydrating properties, the HEMP range is very good. I have their hand cream and it's amazing.

I hope your skin clears up soon - i had a similar problem after an operation and i used baby oil after each shower and hemp oil moisturiser each day to keep the skin supple.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Went to the body shop and have bought shea body butter.
Couldn't have the hemp, it sounds like a silly problem but its actualy serious when you live with it, my hubby has a very good sense of smell so I have to be very careful what sort of sented stuff I wear:) the shea has a mild sent but the lady who served me was very knolagable about her products and very friendly. So takeing everyones help/advice on board I have increased my water intake, and when showering (don't have a bath) I rub well with my scrunchy thing, don't know what its called its a ball of netting:eek: and then I still use the baby oil all over then pat dry and then use the body butter. My skin is much better and the scar not so tight.
Can't get the bio oil yet, until I'm back at work I just cant aford it:cry:
4 weeks today, back to fracture clinic tomorrow so hopefully it's healing well and I'm only a couple of weeks away from phis. Once again thanks to all for your help:hug:

Latest posts

Back