Online advertising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiffenyColes

Reaction score
Please could you tell me some of the best sites to advertise my beauty salon online for free please?

And also recommend some good providers with whom I can create a free website for my business?

Oh and how do you make a like page on facebook?

Thanks in advance :) xx

Please could you tell me some of the best sites to advertise my beauty salon online for free please?

And also recommend some good providers with whom I can create a free website for my business?

Oh and how do you make a like page on facebook?

Thanks in advance :) xx

gumtree is freeand really good for posting on you ca post everyday for free or you can pay £7 to post once and stay at top of listing x hope this helps

It's not free to advertise on gumtree in london? It's £5 every time to post and the listings go down so fast! :(

gumtree is freeand really good for posting on you ca post everyday for free or you can pay £7 to post once and stay at top of listing x hope this helps

thanks,i'll check it out :)

It's not free to advertise on gumtree in london? It's £5 every time to post and the listings go down so fast! :(

hmm,i'll have a look now x

Here's a list of places to advertise online for free...

Google Local Business Center, http://www.google.co.uk/local/add
FreeIndex - The free UK business directory
Hot Frog - Your UK Business Directory
United Kingdom jobs, cars, property, free classifieds and more - Gumtree.com
Free business listing, free advertising - online UK business directory
London Reviews, London Top Restaurants, Pubs, Shopping, Nightlife, Services and More | Tipped
Scoot | Scoot Home - UK Business Finder
Free Business Directory UK | Advertise Free in UK
London Restaurants, Dentists, Pubs, Beauty Salons, Doctors
London Restaurants, Bars, Gigs, Hotels, Events & more
MoreUK.com
UKs Local Business Directory of Local & National Businesses - Ufindus
Smile Local
Party, Event and Wedding Planning - Plan Weddings, Parties, and Events online

For a *free* website, Weebly is probably the best bet, but you'd be silly not to buy a cheap domain name, e.g. from 123-reg | Domain names | Domain name registration to use with it as that will cost you less than 4 quid a year for a .co.uk domain name and look a lot more professional than a web address with "weebly" in it.

To add a "like" button to your website, the easiest way is probably the Wibiya toolbar, Free Web Toolbar | Wibiya

If you have a Facebook account, you can create a page on there easily enough (which people can "like"), or a group (which people can join).

Ruth,

I've offered to do Tiff a site at cost price (basically £5 per hour, to cover my time as i've got to take a few unpaid holidays off work due to the weather) so am working on it over the next few days, equates to 20hours work over a week or so and includes domain and hosting!)

Would it be OK if I could come back to you regardings to the code for the Facebook Link/Find Us etc if that was OK!?

Ruth,

I've offered to do Tiff a site at cost price (basically £5 per hour, to cover my time as i've got to take a few unpaid holidays off work due to the weather) so am working on it over the next few days, equates to 20hours work over a week or so and includes domain and hosting!)

Would it be OK if I could come back to you regardings to the code for the Facebook Link/Find Us etc if that was OK!?

Sorry Jack, I'm way too busy doing work for my own clients, you're on your own mate.

Ruth,

You really should declare this work to HMRC too, as there will be income tax and NI payable on what you take for the work (minus expenses of course).

Last edited:

For the record, my original post on this thread mentions the Wibiya toolbar too, Free Web Toolbar | Wibiya - which I have recommended as an easy way to integrate Facebook with a website without having to delve into the intricacies of FBXML or whatever. This just requires adding one line of Javascript to each page on the website in order to get it to work. So if you (or anyone else) wishes to integrate Facebook with their website with the minimum amount of hassle, then this is the route I would recommend taking. Full instructions are available on the Wibiya website.

Thanks for all the help and advice ruth :) xx

hi Ruth

thanks for your comments, which I shall take on board. However, unless Tiff acutally request it, then I shall not be using the toolbar, as its all about non-advertising.

If she uses this, she might as well us weebly webs or vpweb.com and go totally free. Each to their own though, I guess :lol:

Thanks for all the help and advice ruth :) xx

That's OK, am always happy to give help and advice... hope the free listings websites come in useful.

in PHP!

He's determined to like but one step at a time! :green:

yea, i looked at that the other day after you initally posted it up! its still double dutch to me! :lol::green:

yea, i looked at that the other day after you initally posted it up! its still double dutch to me! :lol::green:

It's an iframe. You give it a link to another website/web page and it loads the content from that website/web page and shoves it in the frame.

In this case, it's getting some content from a page on Facebook (e.g. a "like" button or a list of people who "like" the page, etc) to display on whatever web page you choose to put the iframe in.

You could literally copy and paste the code snippet into a web page, but change the href parameter from example.com to your own domain name, and you would have a "like" button that people could click on to "like" your website on Facebook. That's it. Job done.

Seriously though, that example is really just basic HTML, not rocket science, and certainly not double dutch! Have a look at W3Schools Online Web Tutorials if you're confused; there's loads of excellent tutorials on things like HTML and CSS on there. I'd recommend learning as much as you can about things like HTML, CSS and Javascript if you're seriously considering a career as a web designer though; there's only so much that one can do with something like Dreamweaver before having to dive in and play with the underlying HTML and CSS in order to get something to do *exactly* what you want.

Latest posts

Back