Onycholysis - safe to treat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perls Beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Firstly I need to know if I am right in thinking that my mum had onycholysis. Her big toe nails have a 'fuzzy' smile line - not too dramatic, but definitely not as they should be. My first thought was onycholysis as in basic terms it looks like the nail plate is slightly separated from the bed a little past the free edge.

Then my mum told me that a chiropodist had been treating her for a bacterial infection in those toe nails!? Now, I am not sure if it is something that has followed on from this, or if she did indeed only have onycholysis in the first place??

I don't see her often as we live almost 200 miles apart, but she is here with me for the week and she wanted me to do Hollywood toes on her ready for her holiday next week. Is it safe to do this??? I see no signs of infection, and there is no swelling or redness, and she says that they are perfectly comfortable.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
L x

Anyone? I just want to check it's OK to do a gel nno? Thx.

Hi Geeks

Firstly I need to know if I am right in thinking that my mum had onycholysis. Her big toe nails have a 'fuzzy' smile line - not too dramatic, but definitely not as they should be. My first thought was onycholysis as in basic terms it looks like the nail plate is slightly separated from the bed a little past the free edge.

Then my mum told me that a chiropodist had been treating her for a bacterial infection in those toe nails!? Now, I am not sure if it is something that has followed on from this, or if she did indeed only have onycholysis in the first place??

I don't see her often as we live almost 200 miles apart, but she is here with me for the week and she wanted me to do Hollywood toes on her ready for her holiday next week. Is it safe to do this??? I see no signs of infection, and there is no swelling or redness, and she says that they are perfectly comfortable.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
L x

If the nails are 'cleanly' separated from the bed and if the separation is not more than 1/4 of the plate, then you can quite safely do your Hollywood toes. Do NOT build an apex on the toenails ... just a thin overlay ... and keep an eye on them ifyou can (or tell her to keep an eye on them so as not to let them get too long or she will encourage the separation to keep going).

A little strange to hear of a bacterial infection under a natural toenail rather than a fungal infection (which is much more common). A fungal infection is most often accompanied by onycholysis along with it as the fungi invade/infest and attack the nail bed beneath the nail.

Fabulous Geeg - thanks, I was hoping you would come to my rescue! :hug:

I thought exactly the same - not sure if mum may have got the info a bit muddled. Any hoo, the nail is clean and it's only a little separation, as you said really, so I have the the hollywoods and they look great!

I did tell her to keep them nice and short, as any length would potentially make it worse, and she is really chuffed with them.

Latest posts

Back