Opened up my first salon in the credit crunch.....AM I MAD???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharlz

Reaction score
Hi people... i'm fairly new to this site, but i've got something to get off my chest........here goes
Well i've been in the beauty industry for 8 years now and i love it! I've worked in salons and department stores and gained loads of experience inc being a salon manager which i've enjoyed, but what ive always wanted is to have my own salon. Well i went on a business course n did loads of research n then i took the plunge.......yes i finally did it! I love it but its bloody hard work! I had my reservations before i started (coz of the credit crunch) but i told myself that im a good therapist, i mean im not niave, im in a great location, reasonable rent/ rates and have a popular hair salon next door, its just that business just seems sooooo slow, some days i might only have 2 customers just for brows.

I don't no wether its just me being impatient? i opened on 31st july, i mean dont get me wrong i'm breaking even/ covering all costs, and i suppose thats ok. i cant afford to take a wage yet tho. I no it will take some time but sometimes i cant help thinking that i should have waited a year or so or perhaps put the money into getting a new car and doing mobile??? but my research did indicate that people in my area prefer to go to salons, rather than someone go to them. Wot do u guys think???
Am i being daft or do you think i've rushed in too soon.

I've done some flyers so i suppose its just a waiting game??

Please give me your honest opinion, oh sorry for writing an essay. x

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE X

Well I think that if you can be breaking even after only a few weeks then good on you - you must be doing something right :).

Try not to get disheartened by the quieter days, we all have them. I've been open nearly 17 years now & some days for us are a disaster. Try not to focus too much on the daily takings but concentrate on weekly figures instead.

There's lots of sound advice been given out already about growing a business. Having a salon with a shop front is usually easier to get bums on seats as people can see you & see what you do in passing by. That's still how we get most of our clients & best of all it's free :). Do you have room outside your salon to have an A board? That helps with clients knowing about your offers.

Keep positive & I'm sure you'll do well

Yeah some people are just breaking even after a year or 2 - so give yourself a well -earned pat on the back.

Everything seems spot on for success - but yes at this stage in the credit crunch it will take a while before you get loads of new clients.

Try a special offer for the salons hairdressers - they will then chat about you to their clients if your doing a good job and clients do listen to reccomendations.

when this credit crunch is over ( a crispier name for a recession don't you think?) you will be flying. Make that your future goal to keep you motivated.

Best of luck.

I'm like you. I opened up at the end of August and last week had two days where I had four clients booked in and only one turned up!! I felt really down about it, then my Saturday girl did a bad treatment and so I didn't charge the client. I have got some bookings for next week to get me through, but it is really hard. The main thing is that you have people coming in, so tell them that your business is promising, but that you could do with more clients and ask them to tell their friends about you or ask them if they would put some leaflets in their workplace. I asked this of a client and she got a leaflet posted on the local councils e-zine. Keep at it, I know its scary, but it sounds like your doing a really good job. Well done!

Hi sharlz, first of all congratulations, well done. I don't think you are daft, you are brilliant, you have a strong business sence and you are very very sensible, because, if you put all your work experiences together and opened your own salon in the middle of a recession I take my hat off to you and wish you all the best, keep us posted :hug:

definetly get in with the popular hairdressers next door.

Heres a few 'off the top of my head' suggestions inconjunction with the hairdressers and local shops:

* ask if you can put leaflets in theirs and you'll put leaflets in yours

* invite the hairdressers in for a 15 minute freebie each (give them a voucher each so you can keep count of whats been done)

* offer a few of their regulars to come in for one complimentary treatment straight after they have had their hair done

I work above a hairdressers, and I think if I did beauty, ie waxing and nails, I would get them popping up for a treatment whilst their colour was taking etc, but as most of my treatments are 30-60 minutes long, they don't.

Hi Sharlz

Well, I'm probably confirming what you already are saying but my answer is yes, I do think its a dodgy time to be opening a salon:eek:. However my feeling is, forget that, you've opened your salon so its too late to second guess, dont waste your energy worrying about decisions you've already made.
AND, on the up side, there are indications that our sector perhaps wont be hit quite as badly as other sectors. Maybe the woman of today are prioritising smaller beauty spends higher than big spends. So people arent getting their house extensions done, or going on hols but many of them will not sacrifice their smaller spend perks, like beauty, its nearly becoming an essential to many.

Its unlikely this will be an easy 12 months ahead, definately made harder by the current credit crunch, but if you can get through it, whilst cultivating your reputation at the same time, then hopefully you'll be flying by the time the economy improves.xx
Good luck.

Yeah your mad!!! Like every business owner who opens their own business are mad, I know Im one of them!

Whether the economy is good or bad people still need time out!

Heres some ideas to get you thinking!

I opened my salon prior to xmas (oct). I had no clients at all. And within three months I was fully booked.

* Make sure you are offering value for money (never ever discount in adverts) value for money means take a look at what your competitors charge and charge the same, but add something extra on. I.E Facials start with a 15 min back massage.
* Start promoting your self through free media. Get the papers to do a story on you as you have just opened and design a signiture treatment to offer them! they do the wright up you get clients.
* Go around all the hair salons that dont offer beauty and promote yourself to them, leave pricelists on their counter and offer there staff an intro offer. I do discount here for one reason. Hairdressers are gossips!!!! Offer them 50% off first treatment then not only may you get a client from her but if your good she will tell a lot of her clients too! If she sends say five clients to you she is entitled to a free treatment. Works a treat for me!
* Go to your local slimming clubs etc and offer a free treatment for the biggest weight loss one week if your leaflets/pricelists are given to all the members.
* Do a loyalty scheme for the slimmers for example free mini mani with every pedi or free back massage with every facial. Offer several options so you appeal to every one.
* Do a half day package and send it to the local school as a teachers only offer during half term.
* Offer your loyalty scheme for nurses too as well as other people with jobs where they can 'promote' you.
* Offer each client a free treatment for every five unique clients they reccomend to you this works to show your appreciation of there kindness.

These are just a few things you can do. There are tons of solutions to survive as a new business and survive this so called credit crunch.

Whilst there are those people tightening their belts its more home buyers who have bought in the last couple of years or who have remortgaged and remortgaged over time. Dont forget those that are on benefits living in social housing who still have a disposable income and are not affected by interest rates. Also target your older market too those that own their homes outright. You also have students, young people etc who still live with their parents.

Good luck with it all you will realise your mad because of the hours you will have to put in but I promise you every minute whether good or bad is sooooo worth it! Why? because its all yours!!!

Kate

Oh Dont forget to get your Vouchers advertised NOW!!

People are going to start thinking about xmas early to spread the cost and if they are cutting back on spending offer some packages too that give them the feeling that even though there spending very little compared to normal there giving something worth a lot more!

People need time out and its also a great way to get your existing clients to sell you to there friends!

Get an ad in your local paper and put some leaflets in the local barber shop to tell men what to buy for their women!!!

Ask every client at point of sale if they want to buy one or put a huge postor up next to the reception desk to promote voucher sales. Put a voucher up to show how nicely packaged they are etc!!

Kate

I think quite a lot of salons are struggling at the moment but any new business MUST advertise to get the clients through the door

Have you done any promotions ? Adverts etc ?

Are your prices reasonable ? Which products do you use ?

It is hard to build up a business and its taken me over a year and a half to get even close to where I want to be.

Latest posts

Back