Opening a new Nail Bar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhanced-Barbie

Reaction score
Well Ive recently found out that I have to move towns, and that means giving up my job :(
I've always planned to open up my own nail bar, so I guess now is a good time to start looking into it. I know the mall where I'm moving to doesnt have one so could be a good opertunity.
Anyway I dont really know where to start... Would it be easier to use a franchise type thing, or to create my own business? Do you need money to put down? Or with a good enough business plan is it possible to get a loan?
So yeah, if anyone has anything to share with me regarding this, I would be forever greatful :)

Safest Option

If you are moving town - you are moving with no clients (i assume)?

Personally, I'd continue being a mobile tech, build up a regular customer base in this new town(create a regular income). THEN ... maybe look into starting your own nail salon with your existing customer base, and expand the customer base from new premises WHEN U R READY.

I am not saying ur not ready now ....... just get a regular customer base before you take the plunge of extra overheads.

Safest Option

If you are moving town - you are moving with no clients (i assume)?

Personally, I'd continue being a mobile tech, build up a regular customer base in this new town(create a regular income). THEN ... maybe look into starting your own nail salon with your existing customer base, and expand the customer base from new premises WHEN U R READY.

I am not saying ur not ready now ....... just get a regular customer base before you take the plunge of extra overheads.

Thanks for your input, right now im not a mobile tech, I work at a nail bar so the clients arent mine, they are my bosses (although I do have regulars). It is a nail bar in the middle of a mall and we get tons of walk ins (also have tons of regulars) so I was thinking about opening a simular nail bar in a mall where im moving to. I know I'd have no client base, but I figured there would be heaps of walk ins until the client base builds up.

I dont really know though, it would be so much easier for me to find a job simular to my current one, but there arent any simular nail bars down there...

fresh town, fresh start?:)

To me, sounds like a great opportunity- go for it!

( sorry - cant help busines wise:o)

Setting up in the mall sounds like a good idea,
you have already worked in one so know how you will be able to gain the passing trade and the majority of these will hopefully become regulars,
you need to find out what all your overheads will be,
to rent a unit in most malls can be very expensive, then you need to consider
gas ?
electric
water rates
business rates
insurance for unit and public liability
end of year tax costs
working stock
retail stock
advertising= shouldn't need much with been in the mall
all the other little extras like the rental of a water dispenser if the unit does not have a supply of drinking water,
you would have to get some form of extraction fitted other wise the other unit holders would be complaining about the smell,
i cant think of any else at the mo but there is always lots to consider hth

Setting up in the mall sounds like a good idea,
you have already worked in one so know how you will be able to gain the passing trade and the majority of these will hopefully become regulars,
you need to find out what all your overheads will be,
to rent a unit in most malls can be very expensive, then you need to consider
gas ?
electric
water rates
business rates
insurance for unit and public liability
end of year tax costs
working stock
retail stock
advertising= shouldn't need much with been in the mall
all the other little extras like the rental of a water dispenser if the unit does not have a supply of drinking water,
you would have to get some form of extraction fitted other wise the other unit holders would be complaining about the smell,
i cant think of any else at the mo but there is always lots to consider hth
Thanks for your little list, it is really helpful :)
Ive been searching for info on a franchise but cant find any contact details. All I can find is the website about the place I work and the other bars that are the same, but there are only contact details for the stores. Ah well ill keep trying, I think it will be much easier to do it this way instead of creating a whole new business.

HI hun,

You might already work for them but i was looking at New York City Nails website and thought they looked really exciting so I emailed them to tell them about a new debenhams i thought they should 'invest' in and i would work for (cheeky cow aint i :lol:)!!! Anyway they emailed back sayin they work by setting people up in franchises and would i be interested in in opening a business with them??

They provide the products, the uniforms, the nail desks and they help you with a location of your choice (they work in alot of malls too) but i think its pricey (as in around £15,000) but dont quote me on that!

I declined the offer as i think you have to meet their sales targets as a condition of the franchise and i have worked for nails inc and had to sell my little butt off, which i didnt really enjoy!

hth sarah xxx Nail Salons & Nail Bars in the United Kingdom and Ireland : New York City nails

HI hun,

You might already work for them but i was looking at New York City Nails website and thought they looked really exciting so I emailed them to tell them about a new debenhams i thought they should 'invest' in and i would work for (cheeky cow aint i :lol:)!!! Anyway they emailed back sayin they work by setting people up in franchises and would i be interested in in opening a business with them??

They provide the products, the uniforms, the nail desks and they help you with a location of your choice (they work in alot of malls too) but i think its pricey (as in around £15,000) but dont quote me on that!

I declined the offer as i think you have to meet their sales targets as a condition of the franchise and i have worked for nails inc and had to sell my little butt off, which i didnt really enjoy!

hth sarah xxx Nail Salons & Nail Bars in the United Kingdom and Ireland : New York City nails

Thanks for that info :)
Do you know if they are keen on any country, or just the UK? Cos I'm in New Zealand :)
I'll have a look at the website anyway and might find the info on there.

Latest posts

Back