OPI came off in rubber glove !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
Hi

A client of mine rang this morning to say her gel colour came off in her rubber glove, it stuck to the inside of the glove an hour after I did them.

Any ideas. My other friend said the other week she took a chunk off her OPI when it stuck to a plastic horse feed bag !!

Could it be a curing prob or that gel adheres to plastic !

Cheers guys xxx

Firstly, and as you probably know, gel systems take up to 24 hours to cure properly.

Secondly, have your clients followed the correct aftercare advice?

I know if I'd just put gel on my nails, I wouldn't be in any particular hurry to put anything, let alone rubber gloves anywhere near them.

Firstly, and as you probably know, gel systems take up to 24 hours to cure properly.

Secondly, have your clients followed the correct aftercare advice?

I know if I'd just put gel on my nails, I wouldn't be in any particular hurry to put anything, let alone rubber gloves anywhere near them.

Interesting reply, especially as no advice like this is in any aftercare advice I have ever given with gels or gel polish and I don't give it with Shellac either.

I have my nails done and go straight into my normal routine and have never once in 25 years seen gel come off in a rubber glove. I have had clients break a nail while wearing rubber gloves and I have had clients ruin a nice polish job by wearing rubber gloves in hot hot water too soon after having them done, but I would not tell a client they couldn't wear rubber gloves straight away after having Shellac applied to their nails. Shellac is not a gel, but I would have thought the advice would be the same for both gels and Shellac in most respects.

Last edited:
Interesting reply, especially as no advice like this is in any aftercare advice I have ever given with gels or gel polish and I don't give it with Shellac either.

I have my nails done and go straight into my normal routine and have never once in 25 years seen gel come off in a rubber glove. I have had clients break a nail while wearing rubber gloves and I have had clients ruin a nice polish job by wearing rubber gloves in hot hot water too soon fatter having them done, but I would not tell a client they couldn't wear rubber gloves straight away after having Shellac applied to their nails. Shellac is not a gel, but I would have thought the advice would be the same for both gels and Shellac in most respects.

Agree and welcome back xx

If the OPI isn't applied thinly enough it won't cure properly in the lower layer. And then not adhere properly. What colour did you put on as we have had problems with "you don't know jacques"

So glad you posted this as I had a client this happened to too but I hadn't done my training so put it down to my inexperience (she was aware of this)!
She had three coats of Passion & all coats applied thinly!!
Funny about the rubber gloves as usually aftercare always states to wear rubber gloves when washing up etc! If its true about the 24 hour thing than that's good to know & I will definitely be advising clients not to wear rubber gloves for 24 hours x

Although I've never had a problem with it myself, I know that Harmony Gelish aftercare advice is to be careful for the first 24 hours. They say that theoretically all gels take 24 hours to cure fully.

Slightly sidetracking this sorry but do you guys give out actual aftercare sheets with your respective gel polishes or just tell clients?

Although I've never had a problem with it myself, I know that Harmony Gelish aftercare advice is to be careful for the first 24 hours. They say that theoretically all gels take 24 hours to cure fully.

Well, Shellac not being a gel, that is another thing we Shellackers don't have to worry about then isn't it!:) Along with no buffing, no primer, no dry brushing any sticky stuff off and quicker removal! Plus Shellac is fully cured for client safety and 'good to go' immediately after application.

I would not dream of not giving written aftercare to every new client no matter what type of nail treatment they had.

I was told that Shellac doesn't do well with any bleaching products & latex gloves, this was by their trouble hotline phone number. (thinking other gel nail systems apply) I use mostly gelish but still pass this on: use non latex gloves & use them when using any type of bleaching products

I was told that Shellac doesn't do well with any bleaching products & latex gloves, this was by their trouble hotline phone number. (thinking other gel nail systems apply) I use mostly gelish but still pass this on: use non latex gloves & use them when using any type of bleaching products

No product of any kind 'does well' when not protected, when using harsh detergents, or other chemical agents. Plus they are even more harmful to the skin. It is crazy for anyone not to wear gloves when using harsh chemical agents. It's just pain common sense.

I have worn shellac for a year. I am also a stylist, well known for blondes which means alot of bleach and gloves. I (sorry geeg) follow no aftercare on my own nails consistantly:o. I have NEVER had any issue with.shellac.

I have worn shellac for a year. I am also a stylist, well known for blondes which means alot of bleach and gloves. I (sorry geeg) follow no aftercare on my own nails consistantly:o. I have NEVER had any issue with.shellac.
Im glad and That may work for you and your nail type, body chemistry and activity level, but it is not a good recommendation for others to do the same is it?

I wash my hair once a week, have it coloured frequently and I NEVER use a conditioner and my hair is in great condition and looks great for a week ... But you wouldn't tell your hair clients in general not to hydrate and condition their hair would you?

What is good for individuals is not the advice we hand out to the masses.

There are always exceptions to the rules and bravo for you, but others need to use the Correct products and take the correct precautions for aftercare or their service will not last.

Im glad and That may work for you and your nail type, body chemistry and activity level, but it is not a good recommendation for others to do the same is it?

I wash my hair once a week, have it coloured frequently and I NEVER use a conditioner and my hair is in great condition and looks great for a week ... But you wouldn't tell your hair clients in general not to hydrate and condition their hair would you?

What is good for individuals is not the advice we hand out to the masses.

There are always exceptions to the rules and bravo for you, but others need to use the Correct products and take the correct precautions for aftercare or their service will not last.

I think my point may have been mistaken. I was not suggesting avoiding aftercare, I was making a point that using gloves and using bleach do not harm shellac. Between nursing school, my salon job and working for a nursing home my aftercare is far from consistant. However I am an almond.lotion junkie :)

I have been using OPI Axxium (predecessor to GelColor) for over 2 years now and it has NEVER stuck to the inside of a rubber glove! Not for me or any client of mine, and I don't (can't) wait 24 hours before I wash up. What a ridiculous idea.....

I have been using OPI Axxium (predecessor to GelColor) for over 2 years now and it has NEVER stuck to the inside of a rubber glove! Not for me or any client of mine, and I don't (can't) wait 24 hours before I wash up. What a ridiculous idea.....

Lol, Vetty. Isn't it? I can just see your face lol!

Ok, perhaps I didn't explain myself quite so properly and the words came out in the wrong order ... it happens sometimes you know LOL.

What I meant to say was that it's not that I actually physically wait 24 hours before I put rubber gloves on, it's just that I wouldn't go out of my way purposely to put them on soon after application that's all.

Having said all that, my Bio gels have never stuck to the inside of my gloves.

Ok, perhaps I didn't explain myself quite so properly and the words came out in the wrong order ... it happens sometimes you know LOL.

What I meant to say was that it's not that I actually physically wait 24 hours before I put rubber gloves on, it's just that I wouldn't go out of my way purposely to put them on soon after application that's all.

Having said all that, my Bio gels have never stuck to the inside of my gloves.

Why not? There is absolutely no harm in doing so.

Firstly, and as you probably know, gel systems take up to 24 hours to cure properly

This is true of liquid & powder (which can take up to two days to cure)
Blocking oxygen with solar oil helps bring this down to 24 hours

Body heat helps keep the reaction working until fully polymerized

UV gels however cure only during the uv lamp exposure - they have a head start by already being oligomers (short per formed monomer chains) So if you have done it properly they will be fully polymerized at the end of application

HOWEVER - if the layer is too thick only the surface fully cures. A thicker layer actually reflects uv light and stops the center from ever fully curing properly and then even sunlight can help as its also reflected.

This is one of main reasons allergy and irritation can happen easily with UV gel

Latest posts

Back