OPI gel polish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrose14

Reaction score
How long do I need to soak to remove all the base coat off my nails? I usually use shellac and its off in 10mins. But I've trialled opi and this base coat ain't budging! 15mins and then scrubbing with a remover soaked pad still isn't touching it. I don't want to buff if i can help it so will i be ok to do my normal shellac over it if i can't get it off?

Tbh I don't think i'll be buying it if this experience is the norm.

Thanks

In my experience, OPI GelColor removes as quickly as Shellac. Where did you buy your OPI?

I've found that too...I only bought a few of their glittery gels and thought they were a nightmare to remove too

I didn't buy them I'm trialling them before i buy them. the salon I rent a room from uses the but they will be from an official supplier all the stuff they use is.

The beauty therapist they employ always buffs the last of the basecoat off but to be honest i thought this was just her habit rather than a necessity but obviously not.

I've found that too...I only bought a few of their glittery gels and thought they were a nightmare to remove too

Did you find any other true gel polish ranges were better. I was going to try gelish but I'm put off by the fact you have to dry brush the base as that just sounds annoying to me. Have you tried IBD? I've heard great reviews from people i know who use it but wanted to try opi first as its more well known.

I have never dry brushed the base coat...just apply it thinly and it's fine. I use gelish and shellac. I've also used le chat no problem and trialed onine uk but I didn't find it lasted as well.

Anything with glitter in will always be harder to remove. OPI basecoat is a hybrid (part polish) it is therefore much easier to remove than say Gelish basecoat which is a pure gel.

There is something going wrong or something not quite right if the basecoat is left behind. I never buff the topcoat before removal and it never takes more than an 8 minute soak.

All I use is OPI gelcolor have done for two years now, used to use Shellac before that, so know two systems very well and OPI comes off easier than Shellac I've found. It dissolves in under 10 mins, no buffing at all no problem whatsoever! There Must be an issue SS

Are you making sure the pad and foil are tight against the nail. Sounds like its not tight enough. 10 minutes is all it should take in my experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Its off i removed the colour then I resoaked for 10 mins. I took a good look at it after the answers on this thread and i think it was just too thick as there was a definite step where my regrowth was and the base coat.

After everyone saying how easy it usually is to remove i'll give opi another go but i'll do it on myself next time instead of asking another tech. That way i can be sure its not the application thats a problem.

I did think it may have been to do with the ph bond as obviously i don't use this with shellac or that I've been on the sunbeds a lot lately making it extra tough.

Thanks for all your replies x

I did think it may have been to do with the ph bond as obviously i don't use this with shellac or that I've been on the sunbeds a lot lately making it extra tough.

Thanks for all your replies x

Are you sure it was PH Bond and not Pro Bond, both of course are Gelish products the OPI equivalent of PH Bond is BondAid.

No I meant bond aid sorry been researching products for a few days and must've mixed them up.

I've used them all, gelish, ibd, shellac and opi. Opi is by far the easiest to remove. It lifts of completely from the nail after 10mins, but I agree with above make sure the wraps are tight and use the opi remover.

Glitters are always harder to remove than other colours, but it's still easier than the rest :biggrin:

my wraps were definitely tight enough I've been doing shellac for over 2years no problem. Like I said the base coat was thick and I know this impedes shellac removal so i'm thinking it'll be the same with opi.

Could going on the sunbed of been an issue? I know with shellac the longer its on the harder the removal so maybe the sunbed hardened it (I've been having about 4 a week)

Also could it have been that I used D Solve not opi remover? Why would I need their specific remover surely remover is remover.

I've reshellaced my nails for now but i'm willing to give opi another chance. I'll do the application myself next time though and do a trial on a friend as well then make my decision.

I've used them all, gelish, ibd, shellac and opi. Opi is by far the easiest to remove. It lifts of completely from the nail after 10mins, but I agree with above make sure the wraps are tight and use the opi remover.

Glitters are always harder to remove than other colours, but it's still easier than the rest :biggrin:

Maisymouse as you've tried all the brands i'm looking at can you give me your opinions on each and the pro's and cons? What brand do you work with now? I will still be using shellac I just want to bring in another range. The main reason is for colour options so i'm leaning more towards a brand with lots of glitters and neons, but also for strength for the heavier handed or weaker nailed clients for whom shellac is too soft, my clients don't seem to want to pay extra for brisa lite so I thought bringing in a stronger gel polish would solve the problem.

Latest posts

Back