Opinions Please - home based salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was renting a room in a hairdressers which didn't work-out (owner brought in her own beautician!) and I decided to give mobile a go in Feb 2011, as all of my equipment was stored at home clients started to ask to come to me instead, I have now converted my conservatory into my home salon, I am happy with the situation as are my clients. I advertise through the kids school notice board, all their activity groups (Brownies, cubs, dance, etc. I contacted local clubs asking to hand-out leaflets & in return offer a free treatment for their fund raiser, I also contact all the local slimming clubs! I use a local printing firm and vista-print for leaflets, and the local papergirl helps me leaflet drop for me for nail extensions. I would like to know if anyone else works from their conservatory do you ask the client to use your front door or go through their garden into conservatory? Also, I do get business through facebook

Hi

With regards to the OP question, I work from home and part-time in a Health Club. It has been quite quiet so far, but I've only been doing it for a couple of months so I am realistic that it takes time to build. I also haven't been very productive in doing leaflet drops etc but I will over the next few weeks.

I use to have my nails done by a lady at her dining room table, and her two children were often there watching telly etc She was a nice lady, was good at her job and was reasonably priced so I was more than happy with the situation. I feel it does depend on the person, I'm quite laid back.

Doing it in the kitchen will be restrictive at certain times of the day but I don't think it will be a problem. You can build up your client base and as you baby gets older then rethink.

Go for it and good luck x

I have set up in my conservatory, I've made the space as salon like as possible and I have no toys or clutter ect in there, just so it looks more like a salon. I keep this space as tidy and clean as I can and try to keep the kids out lol! Here's a pic...:)

Your pictures are great! You've done a great job. I too have a large conservatory space & am tempted to do the same! How's it going working from home? Having a small child the idea of working around him, not the other way around seems great! Thanks x

Hi guys - I was wondering... those who have recently set up a home based salon from scratch, roughly how many clients a week you were getting just trying to get some idea of what I might be able to expect - although I suspect the answer is how long is a piece of string lol!! I appreciate some may not want to answer this one - please dont be offended by my question I'm just having a crisis of confidence whilst I am setting all this up! Could be pregnancy hormones! x

I have a room that has been converted into a home salon. I worked in the same salon for ten years, but as I had children was limited to the hours I could work. Now at home it's brill because I can work around the children. I was worried about not making enough money from home, but I'm fully booked and clients struggle to get an apt without at least ten days notice (I work full time and till very late at night most of the time, but have hourish gaps here and there to accommodate my children, tea time, homework, bedtime etc).
It works extremely well for me and my clients and I'm at home, I love it. Go for it, as long as you explain the situation to clients before they have their treatment, if they have a problem then hopefully they will tell you and you may just have the odd client that you need to go to them for.

Good luck with your new venture.

Hi guys - I have taken a look through the various threads about home working and the majority seem to be quite positive about home working in general.

My dilemma is this - I have been made redundant and am going to re-train in nail enhancements again (had own salon 10 years ago). I am pregnant and want to work around my family and thought I would go mobile. I'm not sure it would be viable right now due to the high fuel costs and travel times v's working at home. So I wonder what your thoughts were of me setting up at the far end of my kitchen? It is a nice, big, CLEAN kitchen and the space would be professionally set up and dedicated to clients - but what do you think of this - would it put you off/think it unprofessional? I dont have a spare room at present. The long term goal would be to build an extension in the garden and have a separate salon there but obv. need to raise cash first. Really appreciate your thoughts on this :| Tracey x
Hey Tracey,
I have been home based for 3 years and 1 year being full time. I currently live in an apartment and have my station in my living room. As for the professional aspect of it, if your providing great service an quality, the client will come!
I loved working from home, it's so convenient! The big issue is, some clients get too comfortable, and it becomes disrespectful! I have clients bringing 2 and 3 friends at a time to hang out. I understand since it is home based, clients feel comfortable with a friend, but not a gang!
I've had MANY clients putting their feet up on my couches, having their children not only jumping on my couches, but staining them! I've even had some fall asleep on my couch, walk around my house, GET A GLASS OF WATER!
It could be the atmosphere of my apartment, but I would HIGHLY NOT recommend doing this inless you have a mature clientele, or a room dedicated to your business!

I work in my kitchen using my breakfast/nail bar. It does exactly as it was intended for.. I don't have any issues from people - if they do have issues, they're welcome to go somewhere else - I'd prefer them to actually fuss over their actual nails tbh!

Just want to say thank you for posting this thread.

I am arranging one of my rooms at home for a beauty studio.

I am gutted that i have carpet not panels on the floor (coz EVERYONE appears to have floor panels- at least that's what I have seen from the pitures) and that the room is on the first floor.

I know it may sound really silly to you guys but I was so worried "what would people think". I'm having sleepless nights worrying about the stupid carpet (which is actually pretty decent :0)

But to be honest reading thread makes me more and more realise that as long as we do our job brilliantly and create a professional atmosphere we will be fine! Of course we should keep some standards but at the end of the day clients love US and our work not our table, carpet, garden ot rug :)

Home will very rarely look like a spa but there is plenty of people feeling more comfortable and less intimidated in the home environment than in the public venue

xx:hug:xx

I have carpet in my home salon. I don't think it has that much effect on my clients! They haven't stopped coming just because I have carpet and not laminate flooring!!!!

I have carpet in my home salon. I don't think it has that much effect on my clients! They haven't stopped coming just because I have carpet and not laminate flooring!!!!

:hug: a bit of reassurance is always appreciated xxx

I think I am a bit OTT with my carpet :(

Well I took the plunge now that my bump has grown into a boisterous little boy!! I have set up in my kitchen about 3 weeks ago. Whilst I still need to decorate - the area is always kept spotless and I have all my products in professional display stands e.g. Shellac display and China Glaze stand.

Anyways, for the past three weeks I have been working with clients who are friends/friends of friends and the feedback is this: 'As long as the area is clean and tidy and you do a fab job then I dont care where it is'! This has given me no end of confidence about progressing/investing in the business.

I have been back and forth thinking about whether to do this since I was pregnant (2011) worrying about what clients would think and my advice is this - Go for it! Ask for honest opinions from clients you know well about your working area and go from there. Most are really supportive about starting a new business and working from home does not bother them. As others have said if they dont like it they are welcome to go elsewhere - but if your work is good enough they will stay loyal to you! Good luck in your ventures xxx

Latest posts

Back