Orange to grey

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachul123

Reaction score
Hey,
So 8 weeks ago I transformed my client from pre lightened mint green to bright orange.
(Natural base 7)
I used lightener on her roots, red special mix with water to neutralise the green everywhere else, then colour intensity. We LOVED it.

However, shes now fancying a change and loving the grey.

Has anybody done this before? Any tips?

I'll obvs be doing strand tests before I try anything on her.
Was thinking of doing a similar process as last time, using blue to neutralise the orange then applying the grey? Without it going bright blue ! X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1431986914.180604.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1431986933.130250.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1431986945.030731.jpg

(It does have 8 weeks fade on it)

You realise grey needs a clean light as possible base?

What has it faded to? I can't imagine getting much past a pale orange if I'm honest, then if you nutralise your going to end up brownish rather than blue?

Thats what I'm concerned about..
But, when I did the original strand test last time I'd used 7RC + INC and from green it went a clean light blonde. I was amazed.
So I'm hoping a miracle will happen for her when I strand test this time, but have warned her its very tricky and I'd have to do lots of tests.
I've told her to wash her hair more regularly as I'd need as much fade as possible on it.

She also likes the darker bluey greys which is a bonus.

I have a picture from 3 weeks ago just a sec x

When using fashion or vivid colors, i think it is important to explain to clients that changes such as the one you say she is asking for aren't good for the inegrity of the hair. When you go bright orange, then want a change, i can't imagine dark gray being a good choice.

Have you tried using the permanent clear tint mixed with developer to remove the color. I'd do that first, then see where you get.

Also, I'd suggest deep condioning treatments beforehand. They can help fade these color even better than shampooing with the added benefit of adding rather than subtracting from the health of the hair.

When using fashion or vivid colors, i think it is important to explain to clients that changes such as the one you say she is asking for aren't good for the inegrity of the hair. When you go bright orange, then want a change, i can't imagine dark gray being a good choice.

Have you tried using the permanent clear tint mixed with developer to remove the color. I'd do that first, then see where you get.

Also, I'd suggest deep condioning treatments beforehand. They can help fade these color even better than shampooing with the added benefit of adding rather than subtracting from the health of the hair.

Hiya,

Yep I explained that to her last time, and that it would be even harder to change back from orange.
But she feels the colours just not for her.
She knows she needs to wait and let it fade and yes have advised treatments so shampooing doesn't dry her hair out.

Have never heard of using clear to remove, how does this work? I'll give anything a go.
Thanks for your reply x

I used 0.00 to remove green in the past but I've never tried to remove a copper like that without using bleach, I think you were lucky with the original colour change but any sort of red pigment is such a bugger to remove, I'd say go with your tests and hope that going with a darker shade will be your saving grace

I used 0.00 to remove green in the past but I've never tried to remove a copper like that without using bleach, I think you were lucky with the original colour change but any sort of red pigment is such a bugger to remove, I'd say go with your tests and hope that going with a darker shade will be your saving grace

Thankyou, fingers crossed. I can at least try it for her. And yes I'm hoping the darker shade will be easier to achieve than a white / light silver.
I do have a clear in my permanent range so I'll give that one a try x

This video explains it well.

This video explains it well.

Thats bizarre! Green is normally so hard to get out.
So clear with 30vol.. I'll have to be really quick shes got tons of hair.
Will let you know when I've done a test [emoji106] thanks x

Thats bizarre! Green is normally so hard to get out.
So clear with 30vol.. I'll have to be really quick shes got tons of hair.
Will let you know when I've done a test [emoji106] thanks x

You can always rinse the underneath off if its done

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1432719899.198911.jpg

Been to get my samples, the ends are all blonde its just the top few inches that are very light orange.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1432719977.980762.jpg

She loves it too!

I used Platine with 10vol in foils on mid lengths as still had alot of brassy tones.
Rinsed.
Stained same area with 5N and water to extend the root colour and take off the remaining yellow.
Rinsed, dried.
6.16 on top then straight through with 3/4 9,5-22 to 1/4 9,5-1.

(Joico, illumina, igora)

[emoji16]

Looks SO good!!

Latest posts

Back