Over exposure causing allergy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone please explain this to me and tell me how to avoid it.

all I wanted to be growing up was a hairdresser and I ended up severely allergic to hair dye. I do not want this to happen to me now that I have fallen in love with doing nails.

I am just starting my training (sent my enrollment forms in today) so I would like to start preventing it now.

Hi there

This should be thoroughly covered in your training (as it should have been with your hairdressing...)

Over exposure is defined as "repeated and prolonged exposure above levels specified safe by regulatory authority"

Pretty vague I know, nut the bottom line is: if it's known to cause irritation to soft tissue avoid contact with soft tissue

Para-phynelenedaiamine is the leading cause of allergic reaction in hairdressing. It is the chemical used in all depositing colours and is a very high irritant to skin.
Clients only come into exposure for an hour or so every six weeks so irritation is far less likely - hairdressers not wearing gloves may come into contact regularly on a daily basis

Nail techs deal with many irritants - the liquid we use for enhancements and traditional gels are among the leading culprits

Contact with the nail plate ONLY cannot lead to irritation as nail plate is neither alive nor soft tissue so the irritant can not pass through to cause problem

What you mustnlearn is how not to let any of these products touch soft tissue on.

Common points of exposure:
Handling the chemicals
Product on your brush handle
Leaning on your table wipes
Swiping the brush across skin
(and any other where you come into contact with uncured product - once cured the ingredients are no longer reactive)

The other thing to bear in mind is how sedative you are generally to irritants as this indicates how fast you may develop allergies
Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Pale skin are most prone

I highly recommend Doug schoons book. Nail structure and product chemistry second editio
Hths

Thanks for that Envy.

I have just enrolled into Viv Simmonds ViVid Nails Blended learning course and haven't even received anything yet.

PPD is the chemical that I am allergic too. My allergy is quite severe, even now just the smell of dye that has a high concentrate of it can set my sinuses off. And lets just say that my vanity means I still put myself through the pain of having my hair dyed :o

Thank you for the info you gave me, it will def help me start off the right way!! :D

You are mist welcome keep us posted on how you go and how you find your training

As one who has already ppd allergy you will really need to know what you use and the safest way to use it

I wish much success and allergy avoidance

Brilliant thread, can't wait to see more. Thanks envy.

Latest posts

Back