Over processed hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
How do you know if your hair is over processed ? I am a base 5 and have been having caramel highlights for about a year. The last lot a month ago I had a half head and since then my hair feels like cotton wool and is dry and frizzy. My hairdresser said it must be me being run down or something! I've had 6 inches cut off of the length and lots of layers put through now to try and cut out the worst fried areas but its still awful condition. I've just had a fibreceutic treatment which helped a bit and I'm deep conditioning once a week but its still so frizzy in places. Would it be safe to have a keratin Brazilian blowdry to try and get the condition back? I am never having highlights ever again after this but need to tint the roots as I have about 5% grey. Any advice geeks on whether i can have the BBD or what to do please as this is really getting me down :(
Thanks x

Did you have bleach highlights through your hair or just the caramel colour? If it was just the caramel colour it shouldn't be the colour that is making your hair dry and frizzy. Are you on any new medication? X

Did you have bleach highlights through your hair or just the caramel colour? If it was just the caramel colour it shouldn't be the colour that is making your hair dry and frizzy. Are you on any new medication? X

Hi, thanks for replying. The highlights were bleach and she toned them a caramel colour afterwards. The layers of hair underneath and at the bottom which didn't have highlights put through is in great condition it's just the half head area where she put all the foils through. Is it safe to have a keratin BBD do you think? I just can't cope with the frizz. It looks ok when I blowdry it but the next morning I get up and it looks like candy floss!

Hiya :) do you use heat on your hair? Blowdrying, straightening/curling?
If so what hair products do you use? Not using a decent heat protectant can make a big difference to the condition of your hair xx

It sounds like she may have left the bleach on a little to long, do you know if she lifted them very blonde, before she toned them? I haven't got any experience with the Brazilian blow dry but some geeks on here do. I would put a conditioning treatment on your hair once or twice a week, that should help x

Thanks for your replies. I don't use much heat on my hair (especially not now!) and tend to set on Velcro rollers whilst still damp instead. I do use a heat protect spray (kerasilk blow dry spray). I also use osmo colour mission sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I've also been using the fibreceutic home care mask once a week too. My hair is in great condition where there were no foils so I really do think she over bleached. She also applied the bleach to the whole hair strand and not just the roots which is why I think it may be over processed now? Am unsure about risking the BBD as obviously you need high heat to set the keratin in and that's what's worrying me but the frizz is awful so I need to do something!

Thanks for your replies. I don't use much heat on my hair (especially not now!) and tend to set on Velcro rollers whilst still damp instead. I do use a heat protect spray (kerasilk blow dry spray). I also use osmo colour mission sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I've also been using the fibreceutic home care mask once a week too. My hair is in great condition where there were no foils so I really do think she over bleached. She also applied the bleach to the whole hair strand and not just the roots which is why I think it may be over processed now? Am unsure about risking the BBD as obviously you need high heat to set the keratin in and that's what's worrying me but the frizz is awful so I need to do something!

The products you're using a lot of stylists in here rate highly, I can't comment as I don't use them and haven't but look into joico k-pak they are designed for blondes (usually most dry and high processed hair)

If all your hair needed lifting she would have needed to lift the ends too, if it was already caramel and she applied straight over then yup she over processed it :( it sounds to me like she has anyway... Dont let this put you off though, one lazy hairdresser should not stop you, there are many ways now to achieve this look without colouring then lifting to tone down again, so I suggest you find a new stylist xx

Personally i wouldnt do a BBD on you without taking a test piece. Believe it or not but some of them do not like blondies!

I would give it another month before you attempt to do anything with it. It is over processed and anymore product on it wont help.....just yet. However stick to the products you have in the meantime and like above find a new stylist! xoxo

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I'm going to try and persevere and just keep up the deep conditioning treatments and definitely won't be letting her near me with the bleach again. She did bleach the whole strand even on the parts that only the roots needed doing (as already had highlights) so it obviously is over processed. Such a shame as she is fantastic at cutting/styling just think she got lazy that last time.

Another vote for Joico KPAK, my hair was bleached 3 times & then followed by application of Schwarzkopf red dye every week because the colour faded so fast, biggest regret of my life. All of my hair was like straw & was snapping off, it's almost grown out now 2 years on but KPAK (shampoo, conditioner & deep penetrating reconstructor) have been my saviours. My natural colour is quite dull too & it brightens it up, I actually have a 'shine line' for the first time in my life!

I'm not a hairdresser
but i damaged my hair so bad back in april 2012 some of it broke off at the top (lost a good 3 inches in places)

I'd coloured, bleached, coloured, relaxed, bleached etc in the space of about 5 months all to try and get my hair the same shade as a drawstring ponytail i wanted to wear.

Upshot was i knackered it so badley.

So i just had to deep condition, wrap head in cling film and sit under a dryer (home steam treatment) and i just left my hair alone, didn't do anything chemical at all, I also now wrap my hair at night to prevent any breakage.

My hair is ok now thankgod :o

Latest posts

Back