Overexposure reaction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nail techs I would ask your advice.

I have had ibd uv gel on my nails for close to a year now with minimal fuss.

However the last infill I had, a few hours after the treatment the skin around my cuticle was red, puffy and sore on a few of my fingers. Namely both thumbs and ring fingers. 10 days later the swelling is down but they have all peeled and are very dry and tough, despite cuticle oil and white glove treatment.

Also the skin right under the free edge on these and other nails has had deep cracks appear, then it also has peeled off, leaving a clear line between new skin and old.

I am concerned that my skin/nails have reacted badly to the product all of a sudden, would this be the case? If so, might I have to have the gel removed? :cry:

Last edited:
I had a client that had the same reaction to my gel (NSI) even though I never once got it on her skin. She was OK for about 3-4 months then the reaction started. Same symptoms you are describing and no amount of oils helped with the cracked skin. Only removal seemed to help.

We came to the conclusion that it was the ingredients in the prep/cleanse products that she was allergic to as she suffered with all systems where the same prep/cleanse was used as this was the only product to actually touch her skin around her nails.

HTH

Rachel

Thank you Rachel, not what I am overjoyed to hear but at least I have some idea of the problem. She did use 'line out' on me, which I haven't/rarely had. I will try with my next infill at the end of the week. If there is no change or it gets worse I will get them removed until my poor skin heals.

What I noticed when I developed product sensitivity is that after a while you don't even have to get the product on your skin to have a reaction. It could be the case that the uncured gel on the nail (but near to the skin) can start an allergic reaction.

Also, if the tech has the slightest amount of gel on her hands or fingers, this can trigger a reaction as she/he is constantly holding your hands and fingers.

Quality Blonde, does your tech use an acid primer at all? This could also be a problem?

Unfortunately, if you have developed a sensitivity to the uv gel, it is likely you will not be able to wear gel enhancements again. Sadly this is the case with me. I can still apply gel to other people but I have to wear nitrile gloves and be extremely cautious when working with gel.

I have a bad reaction when using acrylic,all the same sympyoms, since using the popits on my nails I have had no reaction at all, so I have now decided that it is the dust from filing that is doing it with me, as a couple of times I have had seepage from the popits but no reaction. so if you can master gel with the popits maybe this would help.

Yes Mrs Clooney, she uses Primer on me. It is ibd in a brown glass bottle.
Can I ask her to skip that? And only use bonder?

I'm guessing since gel and liquid and powder are both acrylic based I would have the same reaction....?

I'm sure you would all know how reluctant I am to give up my overlays. I simply can't grow great nails without them!

Am not sure what the formulation of gel nails is as yet - is it also an acrylic-based product with ethyl methacrylate (or similar) as a monomer? All that I know so far is that gel nails tend to require UV light to initiate the polymerization reaction. Have checked the data sheet for ETHYL METHACRYLATE and it can cause dermatitis and skin sensitivity, but I guess that could be more of an issue with L&P?

:) Also filing dust is is acrylic that has not cured properly, it can take upto 24hrs to cure completely, so the dust from filing if not removed properly is being left on your skin for longer than necessary, hence scrubbing hands thoroughly after filing.

Sadly it has happened again after an infill this weekend. I have been to the pharmacist for a 1% hydrocortisone cream until the symptoms disappear but I know that I can't go on if this is the case. :cry:

Could any and all geeks please recommend me a great tech around Sydney city who will be able to take a look at my nails, and if necessary remove them with as little damage as possible. I have only just moved into the inner west and walking around have dropped into any place I see. Most do only acrylic and the rest would be keen to ply them off with a tip and cuticle clippers, if you know what I mean!!

Thanks again!

Thank you Valencian, that website is crazy/amazing!!!

I will brave myself to call when swelling and tingling have abated.

Could it be when she is wiping off the sticky layer at the end of curing that she is getting some on your skin and you are now sensitive to it?

It probably is the sticky residue. Try using one pad per finger.

When you re-use the pad EG: you wipe residue off of one finger then use the SAME pad to take the residue off of the next finge..... you are transfering the residue to from first finger to the skin of the next.

I have one client that i have to use - one pad per finger else she breaks blisters and blotches.

Thanks for the advice marioned and libbyrose. I have only been to see her twice and this is the result.

I just realised that NailZoo (Carl) doesn't do gel, is that correct?

Are there any recommendations for a tech who works with gel (in Sydney), I know it won't matter to have it taken off but if possible would like to know for future reference.

Thanks for the advice marioned and libbyrose. I have only been to see her twice and this is the result.

I just realised that NailZoo (Carl) doesn't do gel, is that correct?

Are there any recommendations for a tech who works with gel (in Sydney), I know it won't matter to have it taken off but if possible would like to know for future reference.

Howdy,
No, I don;t do gels yet, used to .... but thats a long story, and if you are having a reaction to them, I wouldn't advise having them anyways.
I have 2 comments to make based on what you have said .......

1. Lineout ...... only lazy techs use this, it's like a thin glue that is used to run under lifting bits of gel/acrylic (these lifting bits should be removed through thorough prep and gentle filing), the use of lineout is not very sanitary at it can also often seal heeby jeebies under the nail.

2. Acid Primer ...... If not use carefully or correctly this can cause the reaction you have described. Many techs (not the Creative retention ones obviously) think the thing that makes nails adhere is primer, primer and more primer . (it's also a sin of very busy techs that zoom, zoom, zoom though everything and not paying attention when they need to the most.

Primer should be used very sparingly and only applied to new growth, many flood the nail with excess primer that often runs down the side and under the very sensitive hyponichium (the skin at the very end of your finger under the nail) .... this is very common and one of my major theories on nail separation is primer flooding into this area, eating away at the sensitive skin and causing the nail to separate.

No acid primer may help your situation, or a system with no primer at all.
In all honesty, I don't think you have all of a sudden developed a reaction, I think your tech has become slap happy and lazy.

The use of lineout is a good indicator of laziness and a hurried job.

Gel isn't very popular in Sydney (it was killed off quite some time ago), but thats another story .... and many that do do gels use a product that may not suit your needs, if you are used to the strength of IBD gel, try and find another user, or find someone that uses Brisa don't go the route of ummmmm (pvt me for the brand name), lets just say it will be way too flexible for you, as you are used to a more rigid gel system.

Hope this helps ... I don't know any gel techs, or I would recommend one for you.

Latest posts

Back