Overtime Rates on Services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus it's good for us to keep things a little detached and not be at peoples beckon call, otherwise you lose that drive/excitment/inspiration that you had when you first started

IMO I think that this is a perfect reason to charge an overtime rate. :) It makes them realise you aren't a robot to be pulled out the drawer when they want.

Personally, I would not charge more to do nails on my day 'off'. Especially for an existing client. I am EXTREMELY happy for the work. :)

PS: Victoria, you always come up with good discussions. :)
Yes, I'm happy for the work, please don't get me wrong. And I am busy. It's just some thoughts I was having, as a deterrent for those that are regulars who consistently want me to make an 'exception' (every week, someone wants to be the exception to the rule ugh) in addition to being an opportunity to earn the same 'respect' as in other businesses where there is overtime pay.

And THANKS for the comp ;-)

Me personally would not work on my days off or do overtime.
Why?... Because I think we work bloody hard enough as it is, we all need down time or spend time with our family.
However I do understand that maybe some haven't built up a busy business yet and need the extra clients/money...I just think one thing leads to another for example: You would do one ladies nails and she would maybe tell someone else you do out of hours work and the nightmare begins.

Plus it's good for us to keep things a little detached and not be at peoples beckon call, otherwise you lose that drive/excitment/inspiration that you had when you first started

No I need my days off even if it's to keep my sanity lol

Yup... I defo need my timeoff. That's why it would be like a 'one-off' kind of thing. We'll see, not made up my mind yet.

IMO I think that this is a perfect reason to charge an overtime rate. :) It makes them realise you aren't a robot to be pulled out the drawer when they want.

That's sort of what I'm aiming at!! There are regs and friends who are consistenly asking to be the exception and they think they are the ONLY ONE asking for this.... So perhaps if they are forced to view it as 'overtime' just like at their own job... they might show more consideration and cease putting me "on the spot" with their requests.
I had to tell my friend "No, it's my time with MY girls that night and no, I will not give up family night".
I hate feeling like the bad guy :-(

Yes, I'm happy for the work, please don't get me wrong. And I am busy. It's just some thoughts I was having, as a deterrent for those that are regulars who consistently want me to make an 'exception' (every week, someone wants to be the exception to the rule ugh) in addition to being an opportunity to earn the same 'respect' as in other businesses where there is overtime pay.

And THANKS for the comp ;-)(

I totally agree with you there.

And, you are welcome. I was thinking we should have 'VHunter's weekly discussion Group'. What do ya think...no pressure there, huh??? :)

I totally agree with you there.

And, you are welcome. I was thinking we should have 'VHunter's weekly discussion Group'. What do ya think...no pressure there, huh??? :)

LOL you're a funny girl :hug:
I can't come up with stuff THAT interesting on a regular basis.
Oh my.:eek:
let's also remember what a stubborn little terrier I can be when I 'debate' and some folks don't like that hehehehehe

Just had a religious semi-debate on FB as a result of a pic-joke that I 'shared' and I took a lot of flak for having a sense of humour. That's enough for one week LOL

LOL you're a funny girl :hug:
I can't come up with stuff THAT interesting on a regular basis.
Oh my.:eek:
let's also remember what a stubborn little terrier I can be when I 'debate' and some folks don't like that hehehehehe

Just had a religious semi-debate on FB as a result of a pic-joke that I 'shared' and I took a lot of flak for having a sense of humour. That's enough for one week LOL

I love a good debate...keeps things interesting. ;)

As a note I just saw that the salon of the year has on their website that they charge more for peak time appointments.

As a note I just saw that the salon of the year has on their website that they charge more for peak time appointments.

Not the first time that I've heard of this.
That places charge more when the demand is higher.
I don't think I'd ever do that, that's like auctioning your services almost.
Annoys me that hotels and airports do it.
But overtime doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I worked with a stylist that charged double if she worked on her day off. I am very rigid about my hours and will only work 15 min beyond those times.

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

Just to add: one thing I have noticed, personally is when I do someone's nails on my day 'off', they usually tip extremely well, so no need to charge more. :)

Last edited:
Just to add: one thing I have noticed, personally is when I do someon's nails on my day 'off', they usually tip extremely well, so no need to charge more. :)

Most of my folks are VERY generous.
Then there's the odd bird... that shows very little appreciation at all, if any.
Since gratuities are optional, I'd rather charge overtime pay LOL (again, assuming if I move forward with this)

Most of my folks are VERY generous.
Then there's the odd bird... that shows very little appreciation at all, if any.
Since gratuities are optional, I'd rather charge overtime pay LOL (again, assuming if I move forward with this)

Yeah, I have one of those odd birds, myself. You bust your A$$ and no appreciation. Thank God there's only one of her. :)

I think we all have one or two of those. I don't get how some people can be so unappreciative tbh. If someone went out of their way to help me the very least they would get is a big thankyou. But, y'know, some people are complete ignoramus's. Lol.

I definitely charge more, usually Sunday work, price depends on what the treatment is.
1 lady was so desperate for a spray tan and I couldn't fit her in, she offered £100, I made time, haha

No I personally don't agree with charging overtime rates.
I don't think a set of nails I would do on my day off would be worth more than a set during my normal hours.

I know we charge for our time, but it still wouldn't seem right to me.

If clients want appointments at peak times (evenings and Saturdays) then they need to book in advance or miss out! If they think that although you are fuly booked you will squeeze them in on the Sunday for a small fee then they will never learn!!
Give some clients an inch and they will take a mile!!!

I don't mind working on later than my finish time to fit clients in, after all it is all about building up a business, but my allocated days off are sacrosanct !!

No I personally don't agree with charging overtime rates.
I don't think a set of nails I would do on my day off would be worth more than a set during my normal hours.
It's not the nails that would cost more but the TIME because as you say, days off are sacrosanct ;-)

I know we charge for our time, but it still wouldn't seem right to me.

If clients want appointments at peak times (evenings and Saturdays) then they need to book in advance or miss out! If they think that although you are fuly booked you will squeeze them in on the Sunday for a small fee then they will never learn!!
Give some clients an inch and they will take a mile!!!
True enough, they still try to do so now. Hence why I post here on geek asking for opinions because I'm concerned for this very thing.

I don't mind working on later than my finish time to fit clients in, after all it is all about building up a business, but my allocated days off are sacrosanct !!
Ya know, it brings to mind why I hollered at my hubby so much to give up the 2nd job so that we could have more time together....

I know where you are coming from Victoria, but I have been there and don't want to go back!!

On my first venture into my own business I worked all the hours and built up a good clientel, took on another nail tech moved to bigger premises and became an Educator. Doing all this meant I was working 7 days a week with a Sunday Monday off every 6 weeks between courses. Taking on a staff member then let me take a Friday off EVERY week (woo hooo).
It was a hard slog some weeks, and I loved the work, but the marketing and paperwork were being neglected, not to mention my husband. My career took a different direction when I decided to concentrate on the Educator role rather than the salon.

Now I am back in a Salon in business with my sister I am going to learn from past mistakes and make sure I do not 'burn out'. So I work 3-4 days with long hours and NO Overtime !!! lol
Obviously the lead up to Christmas will mean longer hours and more days but I am looking forward to that, as it is a great and profitable time of year, but I won't be charging my clients any more than is on my pricelists!!

Personally for me its a no. adding on even 50% on a set of nails would be £12.50 and personally my day off is more precious.

I work 4 long days and will come and go with clients if I am solidly booked by coming in earlier or staying later.

On my days off it is very very rare that I will accept a client, only on occasions where they have a special wedding or holiday and my last working day just isn't suitable, do I consider coming in on my day off. (and it would only be for a longstanding client.)

December is an exception however as I know how manic it is and I expect to work 7 long days if necessary to fit all my clients in and I will sacrifice my days off for it.

hth's

Latest posts

Back