Owner/managers! - what would make a candidate stand out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread went slightly off topic (although a very interesting read) :)

both sides of the parent/non parent are very valid and I understand both sides.

I think its more of a matter of commitment - regardless of whether its children.

I once worked with a nail tech who phoned in 'sick' because her husband had to go in work so she had to stay home with the DOG! :irked: (she lasted 5 mins in the salon)

if your full time staff have something that they consider a higher priority than there job (care for someone, have another pt job, children, storm chasing :) or whatever it is!! ) then i would have an issue with that!

however there are parents that are not like that - and i think that would come across in the interview as they would talk about there professional life more than there personal one! (as thats what an interview is for)

I Work with two girls both with the same aged children, however with a very different attitude 1 is single, works her arse off can come in to cover sick at the drop of a hat etc the other simply does the bare min to no get fired!

this thread went slightly off topic (although a very interesting read) :)

both sides of the parent/non parent are very valid and I understand both sides.

I think its more of a matter of commitment - regardless of whether its children.

I once worked with a nail tech who phoned in 'sick' because her husband had to go in work so she had to stay home with the DOG! :irked: (she lasted 5 mins in the salon)

if your full time staff have something that they consider a higher priority than there job (care for someone, have another pt job, children, storm chasing :) or whatever it is!! ) then i would have an issue with that!

however there are parents that are not like that - and i think that would come across in the interview as they would talk about there professional life more than there personal one! (as thats what an interview is for)

I Work with two girls both with the same aged children, however with a very different attitude 1 is single, works her arse off can come in to cover sick at the drop of a hat etc the other simply does the bare min to no get fired!

can we please get back to tips etc for interviews as I have two children and cant change that !! lol!! :lick:

can we please get back to tips etc for interviews :lick:

To be fair, you did ask: and what puts you right off a candidate??? :D

I would look for someone who has a passion for the position they are applying for. Someone who smiles, is easy to talk to, can look me in the eye when they talk. Someone who makes ME feel comfortable. If they've researched my business, that's a definite plus.

Someone who was shy/timid/nervous would not impress me.

Because we're in the beauty business, appearances would be important. You wouldn't want to hire a hair person with ratty, dirty hair, nor a nail tech with bitten, dirty nails.

Also, where they were educated would play a big part in who I hire/don't hire.

HTH! :)

Sorry OP! went a bit off track but a good discussion...

Clean, smart appearance. Appropriately dressed/made up for the salon you will be working in. Polite, smile, FIRM handshake, confident, knowledgeable, flexible to help out if someone is sick/running behind, team player, friendly.

If you don't know the answer to something, dont just say ' I don't know'. Say something like 'i'm not familiar with that treatment/ procedure, would there be an opportunity to learn it?' ,or similar.

Find out what the salon offers that makes it different or what their client base is. No point banging on about rockstar toes if their main clientele are shampoo and sets! If there are treatments that you don't know how to do or are unfamiliar with, pre-empt it by saying, i see you offer XX, I hear that is a great treatment/product/etc, what do you think of it?' I'm always pleased when people ask us questions because I want people to be choosy about where they work too, I don't want to feel someone would take any old job because it's offered.

Lastly, pick something about yourself that stands out and that will be an asset, and be honest without being cocky . Might be expert at nail polishing, hollywoods, highlights or whatever, but make yourself feel like an asset to the salon.

Good luck xx

In addition you could say, I know you must have a lot of people interviewing for this role, I would be happy/pleased to do a trial day to see if I fit in with your salon'.
I have taken on people who fit in well with the team.
Always be friendly to EVERYONE in the salon, receptionist/cleaner/whoever.

I am glad to see this appears to have got back on track.

Lets keep it that way and if anyone has a specific issue with any individual members, please take it to PM rather than deviate on the thread.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back