Owner/managers! - what would make a candidate stand out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujojones

Reaction score
hi guys

its not easy out there for those looking for a job - the last interview I went to 75 people went for one role!

so im just asking what would make a candidate stand out for you?

the person researching the company?

chatty??

what! do you just 'know' you like the person??

and what puts you right off a candidate???

:wink2:

Clean low key appearance, neat, smily, friendly, warm, genuine, down to earth, softly spoken, engaging, quality of education, indicators of an ability to use initiative, displays loyalty trustworthyness & very easy to talk too. Driver, no kids, or obvious intention to have them lol sorry thats very un pc but being totally honest, lives close to the salon, someone who is eager and keen to learn with a passion for the industry and a desire to learn and grow - someone who wants to be part of my team & who I could trust when emergencies happen, good skills base and natural talent for the work .....................................

if you find her please send her to me lol!!:biggrin:

I go entirely on gut feeling. Doesn't really matter what your CV says I won't interview you if there's a spelling mistake or it's not properly completed or laid out properly. No matter how good you are! I won't even look at your CV if you don't follow basic instruction - for instance I put an ad on gumtree telling people to send me their CVs with a cover note. So many people didn't bother - those people didn't get a single response from me. They either didn't send a CV or didn't include a cover note as I requested - so they were never a consideration. I'm sorry but if you can't even follow a simple instruction when you're applying for the job, it just makes me think you'll never be able to follow any instruction at all.

In interview, clean and well presented wearing clothes appropriate for the role. Clear speech, friendly, and able to answer direct questions without fudging around. For instance, it's the question everyone hates, but what are your weaknesses. Everyone has a bloody weakness - if you can't even admit it to yourself I'm not interested!

I like loyalty - so if you've just applied to 20 different salons and consider working for me as "just a job" you won't get it! I like people who know something about my salon and are interested in growing with it and developing a proper career. I'm totally done with quick turn-over of staff.

I don't really care about driving, kids, relationship status etc. All I care about is that you'll fit into my salon, do your job well, be loyal and progress within my company and help me grow it and expand.

Some immediate things that put me off a candidate (but doesn't necessarily mean they won't get a look in - just means they'll really, REALLY have to impress me) are lateness, excuses, no drive for their work or learning further, piercings that are very visual (face etc) and very obvious tattoos. And I really, REALLY can't stand people who stink of cigarettes or are chewing something whilst talking to me. I also can't stand people who slag off their last employer.

I go entirely on gut feeling. Doesn't really matter what your CV says I won't interview you if there's a spelling mistake or it's not properly completed or laid out properly. No matter how good you are! I won't even look at your CV if you don't follow basic instruction - for instance I put an ad on gumtree telling people to send me their CVs with a cover note. So many people didn't bother - those people didn't get a single response from me. They either didn't send a CV or didn't include a cover note as I requested - so they were never a consideration. I'm sorry but if you can't even follow a simple instruction when you're applying for the job, it just makes me think you'll never be able to follow any instruction at all.

In interview, clean and well presented wearing clothes appropriate for the role. Clear speech, friendly, and able to answer direct questions without fudging around. For instance, it's the question everyone hates, but what are your weaknesses. Everyone has a bloody weakness - if you can't even admit it to yourself I'm not interested!

I like loyalty - so if you've just applied to 20 different salons and consider working for me as "just a job" you won't get it! I like people who know something about my salon and are interested in growing with it and developing a proper career. I'm totally done with quick turn-over of staff.

I don't really care about driving, kids, relationship status etc. All I care about is that you'll fit into my salon, do your job well, be loyal and progress within my company and help me grow it and expand.

Some immediate things that put me off a candidate (but doesn't necessarily mean they won't get a look in - just means they'll really, REALLY have to impress me) are lateness, excuses, no drive for their work or learning further, piercings that are very visual (face etc) and very obvious tattoos. And I really, REALLY can't stand people who stink of cigarettes or are chewing something whilst talking to me. I also can't stand people who slag off their last employer.

Excellent!!! I think you should start training us all on how to be professional business focused employers! Love your style

I come from retail management so different sector but same would apply - open body language - pace tone pitch of voice all will impact clients customer expereince and in turn repeat business. nerves could be an issue so I try put them at ease but start off with telephone screening then 1st interview then 2nd more informal chat and hours trial - introduce them to your team salon etc and see how they fit in then put them on a 3 month probation to cover yourself. Also ask them to bring somthing extra to the interview to see how mcuh they really want the job in your salon or just a job - maybe a portfolio of their work - how is it presented neatly filed or scruffily thrown together etc etc so much to recruitment!! I do think though gut instinct is usually right ... ask them what their inspirations are where they see themselves in a years time - could give you an idea of dedication passion etc and staff retention always a struggle I feel in the beauty industry - hated going to my salon after finding someone really good at somthing to find theyve left!!!

just re read your post and think your looking for a job not recruiting!!?? In which case - maybe offer to prove yourself by happily working for an hour in the salon for free so they can get an idea of what you can offer the business examples of how youve previously retained clients and brought in new business etc - take in a portfolio examples of your work if you can presented really well - this shows initiative and you will stand out against others who have nothing to bring with them evan a swot analysis of the salon to show you are not just a therapist but consider the business to ... open body language dont cross your arms or fidget dont speak too fast - eye contact and lots o smiles!! hope this helps

Last edited:
Clean low key appearance, neat, smily, friendly, warm, genuine, down to earth, softly spoken, engaging, quality of education, indicators of an ability to use initiative, displays loyalty trustworthyness & very easy to talk too. Driver, no kids, or obvious intention to have them lol sorry thats very un pc but being totally honest, lives close to the salon, someone who is eager and keen to learn with a passion for the industry and a desire to learn and grow - someone who wants to be part of my team & who I could trust when emergencies happen, good skills base and natural talent for the work .....................................

if you find her please send her to me lol!!:biggrin:

Not only 'un pc' but discriminatory too.

whether or not we say it, we think it.

Maybe it is time to forget political correctness and have some honesty, or would you prefer that us employers simply lied to you?

I look for big personalities, happy, cheerful people with a proven work ethic. People with a go-getting attitude.
Anyone chewing gum in my salon is shown the door. As are whiners. I hate hearing previous employers slagged off too.

I look for people who are serious about their career, open to new ideas, and are "into" their subject.

whether or not we say it, we think it.

Maybe it is time to forget political correctness and have some honesty, or would you prefer that us employers simply lied to you
?

I look for big personalities, happy, cheerful people with a proven work ethic. People with a go-getting attitude.
Anyone chewing gum in my salon is shown the door. As are whiners. I hate hearing previous employers slagged off too.

I look for people who are serious about their career, open to new ideas, and are "into" their subject.

What I would like is not to be discriminated against.

When an employer chooses an employee, an element of discrimination occurs. If only one job exists and ten people apply with identical qualifications, 9 people are gonna be disappointed.
Or would you simply give the job to all ten of them, and watch the salon go bust?

Do tell, I'm all ears....

When an employer chooses an employee, an element of discrimination occurs. If only one job exists and ten people apply with identical qualifications, 9 people are gonna be disappointed.
Or would you simply give the job to all ten of them, and watch the salon go bust?

Do tell, I'm all ears....

Of course I wouldn't give all ten the job!! What should happen is that the job is given to the candidate with the best skills, qualifications and experience. If you take the factors of whether the candidate has children, is planning on having children or is pregnant into acccount when deciding on who should have the position, this is called discrimination and is against The equality and human rights act. Tell me, would you see that a disabled person is as highly considered for a position? Be honest:|

From my past experience with staff who have children, or are planning on having children, they havn't been reliable. If they have children they can get called out at any given moment. And if they are planning a family, well, why would you employ someone who you knew was going to end up on maternity leave?! It doesn't really make sense does it? Travel insurance companies won't insure pregant ladies to fly after a certain point because it's increased risk that they will have to pay hospital costs for them if they go into labour. Discrimination or just good sense?!

What I would like is not to be discriminated against.

Right or wrong, unfortunately, it happens.

If I were hiring and had two candidates of EQUAL qualifications but one had a car and one didn't, I'd hire the one who had a car.

Again, if both had the same qualifications, and one had small children, and one didn't, I'd hire the one who didn't have small children.

When you are running a business, you have to do what's best for the business.

JMHO. :)

When you are running a business, you have to do what's best for the business.

Completely agree!

I am totally for equality, and I think there are jobs which can accomodate every individuals circumstances. However, for me as a small salon, unless the candidate in question had childcare at the drop if a hat (which some lucky people do) so it wouldn;t affect their work, then I couldn't risk having a full column for someone, and them calling up at 8am to say their child is sick and can't come to work.

I don't have children (or sick days for that matter), for this very reason. Business, for me, comes first. Children are a personal choice, as is who we chose to employ!

From my past experience with staff who have children, or are planning on having children, they havn't been reliable. If they have children they can get called out at any given moment. And if they are planning a family, well, why would you employ someone who you knew was going to end up on maternity leave?! It doesn't really make sense does it? Travel insurance companies won't insure pregant ladies to fly after a certain point because it's increased risk that they will have to pay hospital costs for them if they go into labour. Discrimination or just good sense?!

Wow, this has shocked me. I am a mum, but I absolutly LOVE my job. I am incredicbly hardworking, I am always at work 45 minutes before my shift starts to make sure I am set up, and I would class my self as very reliable. I have a fantastic childminder who has never let me down yet, and i have my mum on hand to have my little girl if she is ever ill, so I can always make it to work. So for you to say that people with kids are unreliable is totally wrong, and i agree with the other posters, It is discriminative, and jobs should be given to the candidate who had the most experience, who fits in with the salon the best, who has the most to give etc. Yes, given, that some mums do not have the help I have, and that yes, sometimes kids are ill, but so are we as adults too. i agree also that some mums may be unreliale for one thing or another but a lot of us are very reliable too!

I employed a deaf therapist once. Was a disaster. CLIENTS didn't like the fact that they struggled to communicate with her.

All ten candidates have the same qualifications and experience. So come on, tell us how you would pick one without discriminating against the other nine.
Or do you think that eeny meeny miny...........or does that "discriminate" against Mo?

Life is about choices, and sometimes life is unfair. The law did it's best, and ended up unfair to someone.

For small businesses taking on an extra member staff is a major financial investment - we have to invest in the best prospects if we want to survive and thrive.

Wow, this has shocked me. I am a mum, but I absolutly LOVE my job. I am incredicbly hardworking, I am always at work 45 minutes before my shift starts to make sure I am set up, and I would class my self as very reliable. I have a fantastic childminder who has never let me down yet, and i have my mum on hand to have my little girl if she is ever ill, so I can always make it to work. So for you to say that people with kids are unreliable is totally wrong, and i agree with the other posters, It is discriminative, and jobs should be given to the candidate who had the most experience, who fits in with the salon the best, who has the most to give etc. Yes, given, that some mums do not have the help I have, and that yes, sometimes kids are ill, but so are we as adults too. i agree also that some mums may be unreliale for one thing or another but a lot of us are very reliable too!

The imperative part of my post is "FROM MY PAST EXPERIENCE". I'm not talking about anyone elses experience but my own.

Edit: I didnt mean for that to sound so aggressive! lol. Sorry!

I too have had terrible experiences employing mothers. Clearly some are different, but I have not met a single reliable one yet. I wish I could say different.

yes i comletly understand that. I am just saying that not all mums are like that :) xx

yes i comletly understand that. I am just saying that not all mums are like that :) xx

Not all salon owners are nasty/bitchy/difficult. Sadly most people have a view of us.

All a salon owner wants is dedicated, talented and reliable staff. The idea that we should bend what we want due to a communist control technique is a bit laughable.

Did you know that political correctness was an invention of Karl Marx to introduce thought control across a population? It makes people frightened to speak, so controls the masses far more effectively than guns do. Quite interesting eh?

Latest posts

Back