Owner/managers! - what would make a candidate stand out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't help think that this thread has gone off course now! I wanted to see what was suggested to the OP not who would hire someone with children!?

LOL very good point.
I want someone who shows a good work ethic. Using their own common sense really appeals to me too. I wasn't looking for a junior once and a young girl came in asking for a placement. I told her we weren't recruiting. She asked me if she could work a weekend for me for free.
Of course I said yes. She proved invaluble to me. She has been with me for 3 years now. During the wked she worked she showed me that she could find jobs to do without me asking her. She made conversation with clients and showed real interest and enthusiasm.

Above all you want to show the employer that you really really want to work in their salon and given the chance you will put your heart into it.
xx

Can't help think that this thread has gone off course now!

It may have gotten a bit off topic but sometimes that's how a good conversation goes. Personally, I'm enjoying reading everyone's views. :)

exactly, so you have discriminated against a lesser experienced childminder!

This is perfectly legal I think you are missing the point. The equality act state these factors or what you should base employment on as an employer.

O come on be honest - it would have been based on more than that!!

Are you telling me that you would have employed someone if you knew they had a major committment outside your job?

A committment that may involve them being called away at short notice, turning up late for the job and bring a host of other problems that they would feel the need to share in the workplace - constantly using this other committment as an excuse for every screw up, late day, day off, not able to be flexible???

Really that would not have affected your decision of whether to take on this person or not?

Nope! She does have children!

Can't help think that this thread has gone off course now! I wanted to see what was suggested to the OP not who would hire someone with children!?

Sorry for taking it of point. It seems nobody would hire a mother.

Discrimination is surely based on something about a person which cannot be changed? Ie, race, sex, age?!

How can someone be discriminated against over a choice they themselves have made and a situation they have put themselves in? You think about your future before you make choices don't you?! ...Going back to my own circumstance, i have chosen not to have children because my work will not allow it. I don't expect the world to owe me anything because of my own decisions.

I do not expect any thing other than equal rights. Which are my and every other persons basic rights. I dont expect the world to owe me anything, I expect to be treated like everybody else and have the same rights. Do you put in an advert " mothers need not apply"? If not why not? Maybe you should do to prevent a busy work seeking mother wasting hers and your time by applying.

Furthermore perhaps colleges should not take any parents on their course to study for qualifications as it seems they too will be wasting their time. Shameful.

Sorry for taking it of point. It seems nobody would hire a mother.

Actually, most of us HAVE hired mothers in the past, and would rather avoid it due to having HAD bad experiences.

There is no law to make us only hire women with children or pregnant women. We simply wish to hire the best employees possible.

You are very clearly NOT an employer. If you were, then you wuld be sensible and pragmatic.
If you can afford one employee, would you REALLY choose a pregnant one who was about to take a year off? The money you then have to pay would mean you couldn't afford another employee. Would you REALLY seek that out?

Poyential employees do not have to mention at interview that they have kids. Sadly most feel the need to bang on about them. If they don't keep harping on about their kids, they won't be discriminated against. It is not one of my interview questions, and it tends to be the women themselves who bring the subject up.

As for pregnant at interview. Once pregnant, my employees are given lighter duties, more breaks and offered reduced hours if they want it. The idea of starting someone knowing they will leave in a few months is daft. The job should go to someone who will be around for more than a couple of months.

I do not expect any thing other than equal rights. Which are my and every other persons basic rights. I dont expect the world to owe me anything, I expect to be treated like everybody else and have the same rights. Do you put in an advert " mothers need not apply"? If not why not? Maybe you should do to prevent a busy work seeking mother wasting hers and your time by applying.

Furthermore perhaps colleges should not take any parents on their course to study for qualifications as it seems they too will be wasting their time. Shameful.

What would you like? Salongeek to become a place where people can only say whats the 'right thing' rather than being totally honest and frank about the realities of the industry?

What would you like? Salongeek to become a place where people can only say whats the 'right thing' rather than being totally honest and frank about the realities of the industry?
I totally agree with you. Have we been infiltrated by the extreme left wing thought police?:D

Never fear fellow geeks, I shall continue to be gloriously politically incorrect, and will wait for this person to report me to .........whoever polices t'internet:smack:

Do you put in an advert " mothers need not apply"? If not why not? Maybe you should do to prevent a busy work seeking mother wasting hers and your time by applying.

No, but I can ask for someone that is fully flexible to fit the business needs. And if this happens to be a mother who is lucky enough to have 'drop of the hat' childcare, like I have already said in a previous post, then that would be fitting my description, wouldn't it?!

i totally agree with you. Have we been infiltrated by the extreme left wing thought police?:d

never fear fellow geeks, i shall continue to be gloriously politically incorrect, and will wait for this person to report me to .........whoever polices t'internet:smack:

pmsl!!!

Can we please keep this thread on topic rather than risk the chance of it becoming unpleasant to read then the padlock will come out.

Constructive discussion is good but personal insults are not!

Sorry Fiona

Back to the original question. I have been looking for a therapist. My spec is level 3 full time. I have had tons of people wanting part time ring up. The answer is no, and I don't waste time interviewing.
I have interviewed about ten people, and trade tested three. Three fell apart at trade test. Couldn't do basic stuff like a nail paint to salon standard.

One girl chewed gum at her interview.
One girl had serious learning difficulties and had been assisted through college with reading and writing. We cannot provide assistance for her that she needs.
Two had done fast track courses. One of those did the worst trade test I ever saw. The other simply prattled on about her kids throughout the interview, and how she would always put them first, and can only work school hours.
One girl was the most miserable little thing with dreadful hair. She really didn't want to be there.
One girl turned up in a vest top and shorts looking like she needed a good wash.

The last one turned up looking great, neat and clean. she was enthusiastic, chatty, smiling and had a valid reason for moving on from her job.
I have no idea if she has kids or not. I didn't ask, and she didn't say. She has salon experience, is used to full time work, looked healthy. She was confident in her ability to grow a client base quickly.
She really was like a ray of sunshine.

It's nice to be armed with an insite sometimes, I feel you are biased towards yourself when you think am if Im a salon owner would I hire me? to those salon owners who replied What trade tests do you tend to get your interviewies to carry out? What do you look for in the skills shown?

Sorry if this appears to be off-topic but I think it is relevant as many would-be employees would be interested in the direction the thread had taken.
I think the child question really does hinge on whether the salon owner asks the question "Do you have or plan to have children?"
If his/her decision is based on this answer it is discrimination, as there is a pre-judgement.
I don't expect that anyone does ask this question as ultimately it is worthless as any female of child-bearing age might become pregnant, and anyone, including gay singles, may go into the adoption process.
(I think if an applicant talks too much about her private life at the interview, whether it's about children, pets or stamp-collecting it would be off-putting.)

Sorry if this appears to be off-topic but I think it is relevant as many would-be employees would be interested in the direction the thread had taken.
I think the child question really does hinge on whether the salon owner asks the question "Do you have or plan to have children?"
If his/her decision is based on this answer it is discrimination, as there is a pre-judgement.
I don't expect that anyone does ask this question as ultimately it is worthless as any female of child-bearing age might become pregnant, and anyone, including gay singles, may go into the adoption process.
(I think if an applicant talks too much about her private life at the interview, whether it's about children, pets or stamp-collecting it would be off-putting.)

Some of the ladies in this thread have admitted that they wont hire a mother! That, no matter which way you look at is discrimination! Heaven help any single mothers.

I totally agree with you. Have we been infiltrated by the extreme left wing thought police?:D

Never fear fellow geeks, I shall continue to be gloriously politically incorrect, and will wait for this person to report me to .........whoever polices t'internet:smack:

Wow I am shocked at how personal things are getting towards me. I have been a member of this forum for years I have not infiltrated anywhere!! Sorry if the truth upsets you. I am merely pointing out to you that if you decide to not give someone a job because they are a parent then it is discrimination and against the law.

No, but I can ask for someone that is fully flexible to fit the business needs. And if this happens to be a mother who is lucky enough to have 'drop of the hat' childcare, like I have already said in a previous post, then that would be fitting my description, wouldn't it?!

Yes, but if you decided that, because of the fact that she was a parent that you would not give her the job, then that would be discrimination and would be against the law. The equality act is in place to stop employers from discriminating against employees. Furthermore the business owners saying they would not employ a mother because she is a mother are discriminating and that is wrong and unlawful.

:grr: <---- I have a feeling both sides of this "debate" are feeling like this right now! :D

Personally, I wouldn't discriminate against someone who was a parent (Hell, I have 7 children myself and want more!).... But I won't put up with parents using their children as an excuse not to pull their weight. Frankly I don't care if little Jimmy is sick today - I'm still running a business and I expect you to work! And I certainly don't care if it's summer holidays - I have virtually no support except my husband and yet I pull hours far beyond my salon hours. If I can do it with 7 children, you can damn well do it for 1/2/3/4 etc.... LOL :)

OK, that makes me sound really harsh. I'm actually a very accomodating boss. I had a mother of 3 working for me, and if her kids were sick or off school due to dentist/dr/hospital appointments that was fine - she could bring them in (assuming they weren't carrying the plague) and they could sit in the staff room or out in the garden and draw/use the internet/whatever.... So long as it's not invasive enough that my clients ever now about it.

That said, I'd possibly avoid a pregnant interviewee if I had someone who was better qualified/experienced/better fit for my salon.... You can bet your bottom dollar I'd chose them over someone who I know is going to be off for a year and who still needs paying during that time.

I have to say that I have thought myself fairly non-discriminatory, however I have come to realise that you have to be, whether right or wrong. I agree with persianista and others, if I had a choice between 2 therapists and one had young children or was pregnant I would employ the one without children. It's not nice to look at it like this, it's not like I have a national company, or could afford to lose an employee for 9-12 months and not be able to employ anyone else. I can't absorb those costs, simple as that. It doesn't make business sense. I wouldn't discriminate on sex or race or something that would not directly affect their work however.
If you think about it, there are hundreds of examples of discrimination in everyday life, as mentioned above. Have you ever seen an overweight woman/man in their 40's working at Abercrombie and Fitch? Or on the front cover of Vogue?
Discrimination happens in business and we are being honest about it. It's not nice but it is necessary, and I can't believe that someone running a business would choose to employ someone that you knew would be off for the best part of a year. I know there are plenty of people who make adequate arrangements for childcare ad this post is not directed at them by any means, just my honest opinion.

Latest posts

Back