Panic attacks during client services, anyone experience similar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buxom

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm about at my witts end, and thought my fellow salon geeks could perhaps shed some light on what I'm going through.

I just opened my esthetics shop in the lower level of a hair Salon in March. While on vacation in Mexico, I had my first panic attack in February. I had them frequently for a month after that, mainly at places I felt "trapped" into not being able to leave. Restaurants, hanging with friends etc. I now started getting them with clients. My clients are my everything...this part of my life that keeps me excited and passionate and thriving, has now left me feeling defeated and dreading going into my shop. I will add they were random until my auntie committed suicide a month ago. Since then they are almost every day. My hands start shaking, I cannot catch my breath or focus on what the client is telling me or what I am to say next. It is humiliating.

Has this happened to anyone? What did you do to get through it...

Thank you everyone!

Hey there,

I'm about at my witts end, and thought my fellow salon geeks could perhaps shed some light on what I'm going through.

I just opened my esthetics shop in the lower level of a hair Salon in March. While on vacation in Mexico, I had my first panic attack in February. I had them frequently for a month after that, mainly at places I felt "trapped" into not being able to leave. Restaurants, hanging with friends etc. I now started getting them with clients. My clients are my everything...this part of my life that keeps me excited and passionate and thriving, has now left me feeling defeated and dreading going into my shop. I will add they were random until my auntie committed suicide a month ago. Since then they are almost every day. My hands start shaking, I cannot catch my breath or focus on what the client is telling me or what I am to say next. It is humiliating.

Has this happened to anyone? What did you do to get through it...

Thank you everyone!

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear that your going through this. I hace also experienced panic attacks and extreme anxiety at points in my life and feel really strongly that we should be more open and honest about speaking about these issues and asking for help so I admire your courage.

You will get through this. The most useful info that I ever received was actually through a counsellor that I saw. She taught me some breathing exercises and educated me on physical processes that your body has to go through in order to release the adrenalin that creates a panic attack. It is basically your body reacting to imagined fear. When you have some time have a Google and a good read in to the "flight and fight" response. Interesting stuff and the same sequence of events that happen during an anxiety attack. If you can learn to relax your physical self when you have those feelings it is practically impossible for your body to create the adrenalin that creates a panic attack. If you would like more info then private message me but do have a good read in to it.

Also I would really recommend approaching your doctor who may be able to direct you to appropriate services.

Above all please know that you are not alone, there are many people that have experienced this and learnt to overcome it, you will too.

Xx

Poor you! It sounds like you've had a very rough few months. These things happen to lots of people so try not to feel too self conscious about talking about it.

Cognitive behavioural therapy can be really useful at helping you work through it and reduce the panic attacks happening. See if you can get a referral through your GP or you can go privately.
Find someone you feel comfortable with. You don't have to stick with the first therapist you try, they're all different.

I hope you step on that road to recovery very soon. ;)

I just wanted to say I know how you feel and have been there myself. I went to my GP and was prescribed Beta Blockers which help you to stop producing so much adrenaline, therefore making you feel calmer. I took them as and when I needed them rather than all the time, and gradually I found I needed them less and less. It's been about 5 years now since I had medication for anxiety. It's obviously not the solution for everyone, but it might be worth booking an appointment with your doctor for a chat and to discuss the options.

Agree with Bombalurina, go to your GP.
I think we can be our own worse enemy......
The pursuit of perfection.......... the fear of failure........puts an extra level of stress on us......
Anxiety kick's in, and the adrenaline goes wild........:eek:

Latest posts

Back