Paronychia relief?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss26

Reaction score
I have a dreadful habit of picking/pulling at the skin at the sides of my nails, especially when I'm stressed, and often until they bleed.:o
I have actually managed to leave them alone for the last week or so, but over the last couple of days I've developed what I'm fairly sure is paronychia on one finger - it's red, swollen and throbbing. There's no sign of any pus. I've been bathing it in hot salty water today but it's not helped at all. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do? I'm in Spain for the next week so a GP visit isn't an option unfortunately.

Ooooh, I feel your pain!! I do this too. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I don't realise I'm doing it, especially when my skin is a little dry. I usually put some Germolene ointment on quite thick and cover it overnight with a plaster. Then apply it regularly during the day but leave the plaster off. Other than that, not much you can do but keep it clean & wait for it to heal. I do find I pick less when wearing nail polish, so I tend to keep my nails painted these days. Hope it gets better soon. xx

Fucidin but I'm pretty sure it's prescription only. It was very good for me x keep the salt water baths up though x

I have a dreadful habit of picking/pulling at the skin at the sides of my nails, especially when I'm stressed, and often until they bleed.:o
I have actually managed to leave them alone for the last week or so, but over the last couple of days I've developed what I'm fairly sure is paronychia on one finger - it's red, swollen and throbbing. There's no sign of any pus. I've been bathing it in hot salty water today but it's not helped at all. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do? I'm in Spain for the next week so a GP visit isn't an option unfortunately.

I'm a picker too. I find that tea tree oil, applied every day, helps minimize such infections. It has a gentle antiseptic action. It also moisturizes and exfoliates and gets rid of some of those little flags and snags that make picking so tempting. For now, some Bacitracin or Neosporin and a Band-Aid should help resolve the infection. I find a few doses of echinacea also helps.

Last edited:
Tea Tree essential oil is very good and you should be able to buy it easily abroad - I always take on holiday for any cuts that could cause an infection.

Thanks for all the great tips guys. And for making me feel like I'm not on my own with such a horrible habit, lol! :o Tea tree oil is something I'd never even considered strangely enough, even though I often use it at home.

Thanks again :) xx

Latest posts

Back