part-time beauty therapist and what percentage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyliekit88

Reaction score
I opened my salon one month late on 18th June and as it is just in a small town (and I work in an office) I just planned on being their part-time. How wrong was I? I am turning customers away as I can't fit them in and I feel real bad about this. Where possible I have been taking their numbers and ringing them up to fit them in as I don't want to lose their custom at such a vital time as opening. I qualified as a beauty therapist three years ago and then discovered nails and boy do I love doing nails! This is now the love of my live oops and my hubby of course. Thing is now I have no interest in waxing and a lot of my customers are wanting waxing.

I have this week advertised for a part-time beauty therapist so she can do the beauty therapy side of things and I can continue with what I love doing.
I can't yet afford to pay another member of staff so was hoping to get someone to be self-employed.I rent the salon from someone so can't charge the therapist rent as I would be sub-letting so my other idea is to take a percentage from all her weekly earnings. I have discussed this with my hubby and I was wondering if any of you gems had any idea on what percentage I should charge or did you have any other ideas to offer.

May I also say (crikey ive started and now I can't stop - sorry) how grateful I am for this site and all the help and advice I have received from you all in the past year. Its good to know when I have a problem or need advice there are people out there for you. I don't know what I would do without you all.

Thanks
Wyliekit

I think 25% is about average; that's with them using all their own products though.

Thanks Kimmi x
Kimmi Rocks said:
I think 25% is about average; that's with them using all their own products though.

hi there
i also have my own salon, i opened in april! My beauty therapist is self employed and i take 30%, she provides her products, i have supplied the waxing pots and couch as these were already there when i took over the shop.
Good luck x

In my last postion within a nail salon I used my own products, only using the salon's polishes and my rent was 40% of my services rendered!! which I think it was way too much. Product sales I got nothing and the clients I looked after belonged to salon. I would have been happy to pay 25% or 30% or at least being allowed to ask if any of my clients wanted to move with me. Hope this helps. Good Luck and be busy.

i now pay 40% of my takings instead of set weekly rent.

Kimmi Rocks said:

Just wondered if you could advise me of what percentage you would advise with the salon providing the products?

Thanks

50/50 maybe?

depends what products they are using.

you need to list all the services you offer, then how much each service costs the client and how much it costs you in products. that will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Latest posts

Back