PAT Testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnymad

Reaction score
Hi

As I've said before,I'm in the process of setting up my own mobile business, but as I received my new paraffin wax heater, electric manicure mitts and pedicure booties I found myself wondering if, as I would be taking these appliances to client's houses, do they need PAT testing? :confused: Does anyone know? I have Health & Safety in the Workplace training, but have no idea how mobile therapists are affected, if at all!:eek:

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Just getting this info from my partner as we speak?

No there is not a legal requirement to have PAT testing on any appliances?
Its a legal requirement that the appliance be maintained to a safe standard.

You may be required to have PAT testing for insurance purposes?
Hope this helps!

PS Please dont quote me on this though?

luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxx

Thanks Christi, another head on this is great! Please say thanks to your partner for me.

I don't know why on earth I thought of it, but now I have it's really bugging me - the last thing I want to do is end up going to my local college to do a PAT testing course in a bid to save money by not regularly paying out to an electrician! (Fell out with that department at the College - no rush to see them again!!!)

The thing is if there is a legal requirement to make sure it is safe - how do you do this without getting it tested? ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! :eek:

Really wish I hadn't started on this now - guess what I'll be dreaming about tonight!

I would think by just following the health and safety for electrical appliances?

If you are still worried, maybe pop down to your local electrical repair shop
( you know the ones,) that you can take you iron or kettle in to be repaired etc?
And i would think for a small fee there would be a qualified guy there who could test your things for you?

Dont worry about it, i am sure if it was illegal some other mobile tech would have let us know by now?

Hope this helps you sleep that bit better? lol

Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxx

HI Hun
I am from HArrogate and i was originally concerned about this approx 5 years ago but was told by the local council that it was not a neccessity......however i never believe a word the council says lol because they generally come back and bite you on the bum lol so i am fortunate enough to have a client who's hubby has his own electrical business and is qualified to test appliances so he does this for me on a regular basis.........
For your own peace of mind i would contact the relevent departmant at the council and ask them to confirm there policy in writing
hth

AManda

In a salon, it is a requirement that every electrical applience is certified safe by a registered electrician every 12 months.

The only reason there is no obvious legislation for mobiles is because local authorities cannot keep up with them!! I think if there was a problem with an applience in a clients home that needed an insurance claim you can bet your bottom dollar that the insurers won't pay up if there is no certificate (after the first 12 months from purchase)

Chamce it if you want to but this country is getting so litigeous (??)!! You just have to watch TV to see all the 'injury lawyers for you' ads who are encouraging everyone to sue which puts up all our premuims for everything!!!!!

The reason for PAT(Portable Appliance Testing) testing is:
  • To comply with The Electricity at Work Regulations
  • To comply with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
  • To minimise the risk of fire and injury caused by electrical appliances
  • To satisfy your Insurance Company.
  • To comply with all Health & Safety requirements and ISO standards
  • Quality Assurances also requires you to comply
So if you are a mobile Technician, your clients home becomes your place at work so to speak, so no PAT and your insurers in a claim sutiation will not pay up. Mobile Technicians will have to uphold all the legal requirements of Health and Saftey...
For equipments under a year old, keep the receipt for proof of date...
Just my tuppence worth xxxx

Thank you all for your advice it is really appreciated.

Amanda - I know exactly what you mean about the council - I had the misfortune to work there for three months - three of the worst months in my life!!!

Marian - you really have confirmed what I was thinking - to make double sure that you cover your back as best you possibly can! There are no guarantees for anything these days and I bet that insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out.

I've never been rebellious or taken any risks so I prob won't with this either - prob if I did I'd get caught out straight away lol!

Thanks again to you all for your help.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
The reason for PAT(Portable Appliance Testing) testing is:
  • To comply with The Electricity at Work Regulations
  • To comply with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
  • To minimise the risk of fire and injury caused by electrical appliances
  • To satisfy your Insurance Company.
  • To comply with all Health & Safety requirements and ISO standards
  • Quality Assurances also requires you to comply
So if you are a mobile Technician, your clients home becomes your place at work so to speak, so no PAT and your insurers in a claim sutiation will not pay up. Mobile Technicians will have to uphold all the legal requirements of Health and Saftey...
For equipments under a year old, keep the receipt for proof of date...
Just my tuppence worth xxxx

Brilliant! Thanks Ruth

I am having some of my electrical items in the salon tested asap...I was blissfully unaware until I read Marion book and found out...then repeated my newfound knowledge to my husband who said.."yeah I know I could have told you that if you asked"!!!! :irked:

Latest posts

Back