Patch test eyelash extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollz2013

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have not done my eyelash extension course yet but I am looking to do one very soon with flirties.
I have had my eyelashes done myself a couple of times by two different girls, one through a salon and one mobile.
Neither of them did a patch test on me and my eyelashes were ok but is this right??
I have read a bit about patch testing but this was not done to me?
I was thinking about doing eyelash 'parties' but if patch testing is essential I won't be able to do this? Is it just advisable or does it vary from brand to brand? Confused!!
Thank you x

I have just recently qualified in eyelash extensions and was taught that patch test is not necessary as the glue is not touching the skin , just the eyelashes which are dead hairs.
But yes, I have also heard about few people on here doing an patch test.
I am sure you'll get some more answers on this :)

Hi
I Trained With Marvelash And Would Like To Convert To Lash Pefect And As Far As I Know A Patch Test Is Not Nessecary Bcus As Said Above The Glue Shouldnt Be Touching The Skin So There Shouldent Be Any Need For The Patch Test..
Hope Thats A Bit Of Help
Cat x

Well I trained with AH Francis and was taught that it is a must to patch test, even though the glue is not touching the skin, accidents happen and when you are new you can place the lash too close to the lash line, any amount of things could happen that we dont expect.

We are dealing with peoples eyes here and the utmost care must be taken, I am a qualfiied professional eyelash technician and am fully insured and my insurance would be null and void if I did not patch test!!!!!!

I would be very surprised if you find any reputable training companies not insisting on patch testing :eek:

You can incorporate your consultation with the patch test, this way you will get a better understanding of what your clients expectations are and can work to a happy set of lashes.

Patch tests from different training companies vary in the way they carry out, but Im pretty sure you wont be able to get insured if you dont patch test!!!!!!!!!

I know I certainly wouldnt have my lashes done by anyone who didnt patch test me :eek::eek:

Im actually stunned there are people out there carrying out eyelash extensions without patch testing

Last edited:
I agree with blinkingorgeous here! I also trained with ah francis and they stressed the importance of a patch test, they also have consultation forms that i fill out with gp details on should a reaction occur after the treatment.

It's good to know then, I trained with Marvel lash and was taught no patch test required. But your replies make sense, so I am definately going to be doing a patch test from now on.

Im a trainer for Nouveau lashes. We do not teach to do patch tests as standard procedure.
If the procedure is carried out correctly then no product should ever touch the skin.
If someone is particuarly sensitive to lots of other products then a patch test just consists of popping a couple of lashes on each eye and leaving them for a minimum of 24hrs.
A patch test should never involve putting the adhesive on the skin.

claire xx

Im a trainer for Nouveau lashes. We do not teach to do patch tests as standard procedure.
If the procedure is carried out correctly then no product should ever touch the skin.
If someone is particuarly sensitive to lots of other products then a patch test just consists of popping a couple of lashes on each eye and leaving them for a minimum of 24hrs.
A patch test should never involve putting the adhesive on the skin.

claire xx

Maybe you should contact AH Francis, a very reputable training company, and let them know that their practise of teaching to patch test on the skin is wrong!!!!! According to you!!"!!!

Im not having this argument again, as I have said previously, people patch test in different ways neither is the correct way or the wrong way, and we adhere to the ways we are trained in order to be insured.

Hmm Good Points.. Marvelash Do Say Thers No Need But I Do Think Your Points Make It Seem Like A Good Idea.. Perhaps I Will Adjust My Treatments Too When I Move To My New Room.. :)

I trained with The Eyelash Emporium and part of the training was to patch test. A couple of lashes are adhered to each eye. Some clients can have a reaction to the fumes of the glue. It is far better to put just a couple of lashes in and get a reaction that to put 100 lashes in each eye and then the client to react. I think the client would be happier knowing the therapist was doing everything to make sure the treatment was safe and comfortable.

Even if it wasn't part of the training at least you would be showing professionalism.

I think if the therapists feel more comfortable patch testing then its not a bad thing at all.
However, I will never understand, nor do I agree that the adhesive should ever be used on the skin for a patch test.
This is my opinion and I am entitled to it as you are yours.
So we shall agree to disagree on this! :hug: xxx

I think if the therapists feel more comfortable patch testing then its not a bad thing at all.
However, I will never understand, nor do I agree that the adhesive should ever be used on the skin for a patch test.
This is my opinion and I am entitled to it as you are yours.
So we shall agree to disagree on this! :hug: xxx

Agree to disagree :lol: :hug::hug: xxx

Thanks for the replies ladies - looks like there is no cut and dry answer here!:!:

I think maybe at least with your first few treatments you could carry out a patch test as you may be more inclined to touch the skin to begin with. As accuracy will come with more experience.

Also I have quite sensitive skin and about a year ago I let somebody do eyelash extensions on me when they were quite newly qualified. The next day my eyes were really itchy and were quite red and sore, so obviously I was sensitive to whatever she had used. I ended up having to soak them all off which was a right pain & probably pulled half my eyelashes off with them :/

So it is always best to be on the safe side to begin with. PLUS you might want to find out what your insurance will require, as they might require you to carry out patch tests with certain treatments such as this one?

Hope that helps!!

Hi there,
I have not done my eyelash extension course yet but I am looking to do one very soon with flirties.
I have had my eyelashes done myself a couple of times by two different girls, one through a salon and one mobile.
Neither of them did a patch test on me and my eyelashes were ok but is this right??
I have read a bit about patch testing but this was not done to me?
I was thinking about doing eyelash 'parties' but if patch testing is essential I won't be able to do this? Is it just advisable or does it vary from brand to brand? Confused!!
Thank you x

I qualified with Glamlash and was also taught to patch test x

Hi this does seem a big discussion! i was also trained by AH Francis to do a patch test 48hours beforehand. even though the glue doesnt touch the skin whilst you are doing the procedure it is possible that clients can react to the fumes in the glue. Sometimes their eyes will water or get runny noses, this can ahppen to the therapists doing the treatment too. i was given COSH sheets with my training pack and it explains that the glue can cause irritation through inhalation! The stronger the glue, the stronger the bond etc but also the stronger the reaction could be.
It is also now a requirement for insurance purposes. If a client had a bad reaction and werent patch tested then from what i gather you could be in schtook!
Also i agree with some of the others on here, i think it professional and its all about protecting the industry! :) x

my two pennies ... i would speak with your insurance company for their advice, because they are the ones covering you if you needed to claim, so you need to follow what your policy requirements are.

kx

Thanks for the replies ladies - looks like there is no cut and dry answer here!:!:

I trained with marvel lash last week and they told us to patch test. I was practicing on my mum the other day and she had a reaction so I will always patch test x

i strongly agree with all of you BUT here goes, so what if you patch test and the eyes flare up with an allergic reaction anyway, then you remove the small amount of lashes and they have to go to hospital to get medication for that. my point is that we never know who is allergic or who is not . also another point when we brush the lashes as we go surely speckles of nearly dry glue that we think is perfectly dry brushes onto the lash line lid. bluddy glues why did we choose this business our poor eyes its really not normal to have this glue chemical near our eyes at all.
xx

i strongly agree with all of you BUT here goes, so what if you patch test and the eyes flare up with an allergic reaction anyway, then you remove the small amount of lashes and they have to go to hospital to get medication for that. my point is that we never know who is allergic or who is not . also another point when we brush the lashes as we go surely speckles of nearly dry glue that we think is perfectly dry brushes onto the lash line lid. bluddy glues why did we choose this business our poor eyes its really not normal to have this glue chemical near our eyes at all.
xx

I'm not sure I understand, it's a bit late in the evening for me, so it could be that :) but thats the whole point of patch testing. If the client gets a reaction to something you don't proceed with the treatment. So if they do get a reaction its not going to be as bad with just a couple of lashes as it would be with a whole set.

Latest posts

Back