Patch test for a eyelash tint - She says I don't need one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickieC

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a nail geek and have just popped over because i need some professional advice! ( hope iv posted in the right place!)

I have been wanting a eyelash tint and perm for agesss so finally decided to book. It is so hard to find someone who does this, almost impossible! Why is this? Do many of you offer this when asked but just dont put it on your price list? If that was the case il have a ring round!

I found a few people abit far but i was prepared to travel but obviously i have to go before for the patch test its just too much for me.

Anyway!... i have finally found someone local emailed her tonight, she is mobile and she can book me in tomorrow night. I asked if i need a patch test to which she replied no i would be fine. I told her i have never had a tint before how would i know i wouldnt have a reaction, she replied.. Have you had your hair dyed in a salon, when i replied yes she said if i didnt have a reaction to that id be fine :eek: Do many of you do a tint without a patch test?

Even if i asked for one now, she doesnt seem very professional so id be worried about her not doing it right.

So im kinda back to square one :( iv tried searching for lvl lashes, no one does them either. Do you know of anything else i can try?

I have really long lashes they are just straight so im not really looking for extensions!

Thanks very much for reading all that. I know it was very long! :hug:

I would never ever tint anyone without doing a patch test first and any reputable therapist would not do it. You are absolutely right not to trust this therapist, don't go there. Good Luck with finding someone else.

some therapists may tint lashes if you have had hair tint previously (I wouldn't), but as you also want a perm - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!

Lash perms are fab if done correctly but a lot of therapists don't offer them as they are quite tricky to do, and unless very experienced do not always result in the required look. Keep searching, and find yourself an experienced lash technician that patch tests beforehand. I NEVER perm without testing first!

Good luck

I've trained in tinting, and was always told to apply a patch test. I dont quite agree with asking about having your hair coloured before, because I'm allergic to some brands of hair dye (I get terrible migranes) but I am fine with eye last tint, so my view is get a patch test just in case.

hi i am trained therapist in eyelash/brow tinting and would never carrie out any tinting with out patch testing first . if you are being told different i my self would advise you to go els wear these are you eyes we are talking about the end of the day 24/48 hours patch test must be done .

answering as a qualified beautician.. i would always do a patch test regardless of whether they had previously been ok with tint or not.. etc.. otherwise insurance does not cover.. you could be alright the one time and then the next tint could leave a reaction.. skin sensitivity changes.. shoudl always do one regardless..

Sarah x

Do not trust a therapist who does not carry out patch tests. I would question her qualifications and insurance , this is basic stuff !
For a lash or brow tint a test is required 24hrs before hand and for Perming it's 48hrs. Firstly Perming and tinting shouldn't be done together because the chemicals are too much for the eyelash cuticles and they will become very brittle and snap off! You can have a perm and then have a tint 3 weeks after ( and I recommend this order because if you tint first the perm will strip some of the colour out again).
Secondly it doesn't matter whether you have had your hair dyed before, the only circumstance when you wouldn't need a patch test is if the last tinting service you had done was the exact same product that you were going in for on the day (with it being recent and on your client record ). Hair colourings can cause allergic reactions eg, say you dye your hair and have no reaction, then dye it with a different product with no reaction, if you went back to the first product again you could have a reaction.
Always patch test when using a new product or returning to an old one, they can be fatal ! I think about 1 in 10 have a reaction (going from people I know)

This is the basic aftercare for a perm / tint:
Any irritation, redness, inflammation etc clean he area with water and seek medical advice if it continues for longer than 3 hours.
Don't wear mascara for the next 24-48 hours, doing so can make your lashes coil and shrivvel up and then you would have to cut them off , it also weakens them, especially waterproof.
You could use a nourishing lash serum to help them recover
Try not to rub your eyes
Return for your next treatment within 4-6 weeks when they need doing again.

I wish u the best of luck in finding a trustworthy therapist!

Lash/brow tint and lash perm are some of the treatments I decided to stop offering but when I did them I always did a patch test. The number of people who told me they didn't need one but it was always no patch test then no treatment.

I would never do it without a patch test. This is peoples eyes we are dealing with.
I have recently taken perming off my menu as we very rarely do any and the solution goes off.
I do offer LVL which is a similar procedure and that's a lot more popular.
You can perm and tint in the same sitting.

Apart from anything else the beauty industry is overloaded with people who are clearly unqualified to carry out a professional treatment.

It is the law that legislation be met and part of legislation is that patch tests prior to treatment be carried out on clients to safeguard therapists from lawsuits if anything were to go wrong.

As a professional male beauty therapist for over ten years who has studied extensively in my chosen trade and also aiming to be the UK's only L5 male beauty therapist, I can say with clear and factual fact, that patch testing is not just a requirement but also part of legislation.

I would also like to say that our industry is being flooded by people who take day courses and think they are beauty therapists or nail technicians or someone who can administer eyelash extensions, but in fact know very little about the law or legislation when it comes to protecting themselves or their clients.

For example if a patch test or tests for allergies were not carried out and a client then had an allergic reaction to a glue for example and you had not carried out that test, you would be liable to be sued for an amount of money which would put you out of business for the rest of your life, not only that but a court could impose sanctions against you for practising any beauty therapy treatments again and if you were found to disobey the courts you could face fines and or jail for disobeying the courts.

When people talk about the glue going onto the eyelash and not the lid, think about this – what if by accident the glue touched the lid? Would that mean you covered your back? I think not and it would prove that maybe you should of tested the client and at least then you would be protected as a therapist, because you would be qualified enough to advise the client if they suffer swelling or irritation go straight to A&E and then, you are not only possibly saving your client from possible heartache and or a severe allergic reaction but yourself from prosecution.

People can die from certain allergies and all it would take if for a client to have an allergic reaction that could cause death, then you would be done for manslaughter and more than likely jailed as a result.

It is only unqualified people who would say “Oh you don’t need to carry out a patch test” reason being is they don’t really know what they are talking about!

Latest posts

Back