Patch test itchy & red - whilst pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Hello, (I don't do hair, just beauty)

Im 11 weeks pregnant after ivf treatment, I'm at a wedding on Saturday so I decided to get my hair coloured at a salon which I haven't done in a long time, i usually use a box dye with no problems but as I'm pregnant i decided to go to a salon, both stylists said hair dye in pregnancy is safe & I did a bit of research & decided to get it done.

I asked for a patch test to be safe to which the stylist said she was going to recommend anyway, I picked my colour & after she mixed it up she painted a bit onto my wrist area. I booked my appointment to return on thursday if no problems

I left the salon & within 5 or 10 minutes it started to itch a little, then around the patch colour it turned a bit red but that probably turned red after me itching around it, so I washed it straight off as soon as I got home (it was on my skin about 25 minutes) obviously it goes with out saying I won't be getting it coloured now, but what I want to know is - this wouldn't have caused any problems for the baby would it :confused: im freaking out a little with it being on my skin?

It seems ok now & isn't red or itchy anymore, I just have brown stained skin! it was just itchy & red when it was on my skin, I've attached a pic of the area now after wash off just so you can see how much colour she applied etc..

Thanks x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373383034.720433.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373383034.720433.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 303
Hi lush lash

Congrats on being pregnant, I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't have thought this reaction would have caused any concerns for the baby, but to put your mind at ease, speak to your midwife on your next appointment, also you were right to wash the product off straight away, I would also not attempt to do it yourself at home, the only option for a colour no you've had a reaction would be to have highlights that don't come into contact with your scalp, again this should only be done in a salon 😄

I agree, you really did the right thing in getting it off and cancelling your colour. Colours really ought not to be done in the first trimester anyway, just to be safe.
With regards to foiling, if you have had a reaction to tint, you should not even have this done, as colour could come in to contact with the skin if the foils seep, or when its being rinsed off.
NO colour service should be carried out if you have had a reaction until you have a clear patch test im afraid.
Yes its very very unlikely that the small amount of tint you have come in to contact with has done any damage to baby, but as Scissorz said best to ask your MW for peace of mind
p.s congrats on th baby :)
xx

Latest posts

Back