Pay rises this year or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tog

Reaction score
Just wondering if those of you who employ staff will be giving pay rises this year ( as I usually do annually ) or will you hold off and freeze pay due to the economic squeeze?
I am in two minds . . . I know things have been difficult financially for salon owners over the past year or so, but not giving an annual pay rise doesn't seem to be sending out the message that we value our staff. After all, without them a lot of us wouldn't have our businesses.
What do you all think?

I don't employ staff and I ain't employed either....but my opinion of this is that if owners profits are up then so should the staffs wages...I only say this cos i know of alot of people at the mo who work for companies that are using the credit crunch as an excuse and yet still they are taking their fat pay chqs home.

I ain't saying this is the case with you...:hug:....but i just feel for those who are suffering at the moment, when the big guys still live like kings....then blame it all on a so called credit crunch.

If profits are up then why shouldn't wages be...if not then fair enough.

I think many if not most salon businesses have grown (or at least not suffered) during the recession ... and traditionally this has been the case during several recessions in the past also. That being the case then if you can offer a small increase I would do so. HOWEVER ... it is not anyone's RIGHT to an annual increase if the business cannot support it.

If you are in the position to do so and you can justify it, I would happily give the staff an increase.

All too often employers forget that to retain the best staff and to attract the best staff, you need to give them working conditions and incentives to keep them. Your staff may not have the choice of going elsewhere at the moment but if you look after them well the good ones will appreciate it and remember it.

Respect and loyalty is a two way thing.:)

If you are in the position to do so and you can justify it, I would happily give the staff an increase.

All too often employers forget that to retain the best staff and to attract the best staff, you need to give them working conditions and incentives to keep them. Your staff may not have the choice of going elsewhere at the moment but if you look after them well the good ones will appreciate it and remember it.

Respect and loyalty is a two way thing.:)

Now can you just pop to my place of work and explain that to my boss??

Latest posts

Back