Pedicure Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen

Reaction score
Does anyone use hydrogen peroxide in their water to test for fungal infections before performing a pedicure?

I only found out about this last week. I'd never heard of it before.

Does anyone know what chemical reaction makes this work?

Does anyone else do this before thier pedis?

Karen
xxx

Ooh..........this sounds interesting. What's it all about (Alfie)?

sorry i cant help, ive never even heard of it, just bumping this back up as id like to knwo the answer aswell:D

Ive searched tyhe internet and cant find anything about it. some sites say it can be used to treat the infections but not to actually detect it...

I don't know but sounds interesting??????

I'm in my second week at school over here in the US and felt really dumb when my tutor asked me in front of all my class how to test for a fungal infection before a pedi! I didn't know there was such a test!!! :o

Aparently, you dilute a small capful of hydrogen peroxide (the stuff you lighten hair with) in clean water and place the client's feet in the water. If the water bubbles a fungal infection is present and you should not perform the treatment.

I've done two pedicures since finding this out and thankfully no bubbles!

In my two years of being on this board and attending classes I've NEVER heard of this and wondered if any geeks out there knew how the peroxide reacts with the fungal infection to produce the bubbles.

I've asked at school but didn't really get a good answer.

Anyone else heard of this????

Kx

Well, how interesting is that ! I wonder if we're allowed to do that here in the UK. I'm gonna do my own later to see what happens.

Okay, now I'm scared :Scared:, I do a thorough check before just sticking my clients feet into the water though. Alot of my family used to suffer from fungal infections (thank god I've never had one) so I know what to look for I guess, never heard of that way Karen.

Never heard of that before but then I've not heard of lots of things lol.

Maybe one of the more experienced techs can help with this.

Will be interesting to know though.

Kimmi Rocks said:
Well, how interesting is that ! I wonder if we're allowed to do that here in the UK. I'm gonna do my own later to see what happens.

Let us know what happens Kimmi!!

Wow!! That is interesting!!! Could come in very useful infact!

Let us know the results Kimmi!!!

Tilly xx

This is interesting, never heard of it!

Doesn't sound like they have it over here! What a great idea though........if they don't do it here .........why not? (I wonder?).

I'm sticking around to find out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very interesting post!!!

The only contribution I can make is that when I was nursing, many years ago we often used H peroxide to clean and deslough wounds. We also used a very weak solution to clean peoples mouths if they were really dirty. When H peroxide comes in contact with something dirty or infected it tends to bubble up and hence if there was a fungle something, it shows it up by going bubbly and fizzy. You have to be very careful with it though because it is corrosive and pretty powerful stuff. I've only seen it used in hospitals and therefor wouldn't use it in my nail business. Hope this helps.

As an experienced hairdresser who uses peroxide to activate colours/bleach and on occasions had it splashed on to my skin it will leave white burn marks so I don't really think its for nail techs to be using without more background info into this chemical
Yes you can buy it from wholesalers but if buying from a chemist they have very strict guide lines as it use and vol (strength) of the product used.

I did it and it didn't bubble.

Diluted hydrogen peroxide is very useful. It must be a very high quality grade to do this with, but it can be used to gargle with for sore throats, and to clean wounds (not that i'm suggesting you do that during your treatment!)
There are some experiments being done for it's usefulness in serious infections. I think it's got something to do with increasing the amount of oxygen in an area?

I've never heard of it for this though - sounds really interesting!

Latest posts

Back