Pedicures - hard skin removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there

What tools/products do you use to remove hard skin from feet?

The salon owner where I rent a room was quite disappointed that I did not use a blade to remove hard skin when doing pedicures. She told me all the other therapists did whenever she had had a pedicure. I told her I wasn't qualified to use one. Hence she has not booked a pedicure with me for this reason. She obviously believes the only way to get rid of her hard skin is by using a blade.

I believe it makes it twice as bad, plus I feel you should be trained to use one properly as a Podiatrist would.

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards
Deb379

Hi there, I have always been taught , never to remove hard skin. This is technically a cheropadists job. We are doing pedicures purely to beautyfy. Any hard skin can be treated, but it should be "smoothed not removed".

Which products do you use for pedicure? And who did you train with?
Just being nosey.

Hope this helps!:)

Hi

I totally agree with you! I wouldnt use a blade at all. I use the creative spa pedicure rasp and its brilliant.

I pop a little cuticle eraser and solar oil on the heels first if there real bad and it works a treat. Plus they dont limp out of the door.

To make hard skin smoother, I use a foot file (rasp) together with an exfoliating footscrub and that usually does the trick.

Good, I'm glad I am not alone in my thoughts then.

I use creative and also bio solutions, and have a foot rasp but don't have the creative one but might try that.

I think I shall have a little chat with her about taking the skin off with a blade and making things worse, I think I shall see if I can persuade her otherwise.
Thanks for your thoughts
Deb379

Hiya

I never use a blade I use creative Spa products and most of my pedi customers purchase cucumber heel therepy to use at home sorts out the problem perfect.

Take care Dawnie x

All the replies have been wonderful 'smooth don't remove' even better to do it using AHA Sea Serum which really breaks down harsh calluses..if you do a search on Sea Serum there should be some good info on it!!

Stick to your guns... your gut instinct serves you well! Unfortunately some people still live in the early 80's when it comes to 'how' treatments are performed! :rolleyes:

I have to visit a podiatrist every so often to have hard skin cut off. This is because I have a fallen arch as a result of a bunion op (god what with my cataracts too I think I'm an 80 year old in disguise lol), the pressure on it causes the hard skin. However my podiatrist says that if I was good and regularly moisturised it then it wouldn't come back - same theory as why we don't cut skin in manicures, you should use oil daily.

As far as Im concerned...Im not QUALIFIED to remove hard skin with a blade or any other torturous looking instrument for that matter! Therefore...I just DONT do it!!!
I simply smooth....and NEVER remove!
I have the number of a local chiropodist, who Ive grown quite attached to....(and him to me really!)...as if there is anyone I need to refer...He gets the work! :green:
I get a nice little tip from him for his extra workload too!

There is a product called "CALLUS ELIMINATOR" by BeNatural

It is AMAZING. You put it on any callused/tough skin as soon as you remove the foot from the bath. By the time you did your nail filing and cuticle work the skin is NICE n' SOFT and the calluses ROLL off with the use of a foot file. I love it!

Where is this product available? :?:

hi

i was reading about this in other threads last night, do you have a web address for it please?
cassiec01 said:
There is a product called "CALLUS ELIMINATOR" by BeNatural

It is AMAZING. You put it on any callused/tough skin as soon as you remove the foot from the bath. By the time you did your nail filing and cuticle work the skin is NICE n' SOFT and the calluses ROLL off with the use of a foot file. I love it!

Interesting this isn't it.

People want results but blades are out of the question and feel should only be used by podiatrists, and I also feel it does make the skin worse.

I have used the purple Mr Pumice bar, bit like a foam block which you can use in the bath with soap. It's very effective. My reason for not using on clients so far is I'm not quite sure how you would sanitise it as the soap does tend to stick. I suppose they are cheap enough to buy and use per client, perhaps give them the bar to take home.

Anyone else used this?

regards
Deb

I would not use a blade either!! I use a file and tell her to come back for regular treatments! I would not trust myself to use a blade!

We aren't allowed to use a credo blade to remove callouses. Only a podiatrist or such can use the blades here in Ohio.

I use Callous Eliminator, too!! Loooooove it!

Found it works much better if I soak first, dry and apply. Then wait 5 min. and use the foot rasp. The skin just rolls off. Make sure you wear gloves cause it'll take the hide right off ya!

Wonderful product!

Where do you get the Callous Elliminator from? I punched it into the search engine and nothing comes up.

Mrs Geek said:
Unfortunately some people still live in the early 80's when it comes to 'how' treatments are performed! :rolleyes:

Very true Mrs Geeks - some people choose to perform some beauty treatments in a very 80s fashion.

I've just started pedicures doing pedicures - the hard skin remover tool reminds me of a potato slicer!!! Someone even confessed that she'd cut herself using it!

I use footscrubs with mint or tea tree products in them and also a foot rasp. They go down a treat. Leaves feet feeling nice and soft!

After a closer look at the bottle...

it's actually called Callus Eliminator. The company name is "be natural."

Notice the spelling of callus. You'll get lots of results with this spelling in your search string.

hth!

One more thing....

Their sister product - Cuticle Exterminator - is also awesome! It's a clear gel so you can actually see what you're doing lol. Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back