Pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

british.jem

Reaction score
Ok so as strange as it sounds i hate feet! Im a nail technician that hates feet lol. But with it getting really hot over here i figure i should start doing pedicures and bring in some extra clients. Does any one have any tips on making it as pleasent as i can lol. Any recommendations on foot scrubs or soaks? Thanks in advance! :eek:

Oh thanks i will check that link out. I can proberly get my fam back home to ship some out for me..

When I first started training I really did not want to do feet at all.

However, there is something hugely satisfying about working on feet that are not too pretty and making them quite beautiful.

It is rare for a client to tell me they like their own feet, they nearly always say they hate them and they're ugly, when actually they are usually ok-ish.

And the best thing I have found is that people with really really bad feet don't generally come to a salon they go to a chiropodist.

There was a big debate on this site a few weeks ago as to whether therapists should wear gloves or not for this treatment. I wear them up to the point of massage and polish and the reason for this is I quite like to take care of my own hands and nails at the same time as fixing my clients feet.

You should definately bring this treatment into your salon.

Jacqui xx

I agree with Mizzy, anything that is minty will masque any whiffyness from feet. Soak the feet first and keep the bowl nearby to allow the minty freshness to waft over you while you work.

It is actually quite common for therapists and techs to hate feet, I know quite a few.:green:

Thanks Jacqui - i think i will deffinatly bring it into my services, i currently work mobile as have a little one year old i work my clients around. But like i said, summer is really heating up over here and i know if i price a little lower then most people then i will get alot of work. Plus a ranch close to where i am always has a lot of children around and im close friends with the owner so im sure i will get alot of business.

Shedunlop - Any advice on how long to generally soak the feet for? And deffinatly keeping the bowl close by is a good idea! Thanks for that. As i mentioned before, summer is heating up big time, so i know the majority of people are going to have hot sweaty feet.. Smelly! Lol. But it will boost me big time with clients so think its a must :)

You don't need to soak them until they look pickled just long enough to soften the dry skin a bit and freshen them generally. I tend to soak between 5 and 10 minutes depending on time available and how much they get me talking! :green:

Lol thanks for the advice :p

whenever i hear the word 'ranch' i always think of mills and boon books haha ohhh how i love me some cheesey goodness!

i too wear gloves until it comes to the massage because by that time i know the feet are nice and clean haha. i don't like feet but i love seeing the end result when they are all lovely... doesn't make much sense i know! :\ i wear gloves purely because i don't want to touch feet, if a client asks then i'd tell them it's because my hands were getting poorly and dried out with all the water and products used.

i use green mundo to spray the feet and legs, feet in bowl, dry them and then mundo on again... then off i go! :D

x

Thanks MissConfused - Im with you with wanting to wear gloves just to not touch the feet. I dont know what it is about feet but i just dont like them haha. Im sure i will be just like the rest of you with loving the end result but not feet in general. When you put the feet in the bowl do you use a certain solution whilst also using the Mundo spray?
I really never cared about the pedicure side of things before because of my hate so not really upto date on the best products etc.

When I first started training I really did not want to do feet at all.

However, there is something hugely satisfying about working on feet that are not too pretty and making them quite beautiful.

It is rare for a client to tell me they like their own feet, they nearly always say they hate them and they're ugly, when actually they are usually ok-ish.

And the best thing I have found is that people with really really bad feet don't generally come to a salon they go to a chiropodist.

There was a big debate on this site a few weeks ago as to whether therapists should wear gloves or not for this treatment. I wear them up to the point of massage and polish and the reason for this is I quite like to take care of my own hands and nails at the same time as fixing my clients feet.

You should definately bring this treatment into your salon.

Jacqui xx

Totally agree with making them beautiful. Alot of people can look after their fingers and hands but not so much with their feet so there's always a massive improvement in feet treatments. For me as long as they're clean I'm happy :)

x

I'm with you, I'm a tech who hates feet and I too do not offer pedi's for this reason.

Just the thought of someone coming in, taking their manky shoes off and that smell hitting me and then me having to touch their sweaty feet, just makes me want to vomit
But I know I MUST get over this little problem in order to make myself fully successful in the future.
I used to have a full on hair phobia, any kind of hair, especially pet hair but even human hair but now I'm ok with human hair and I'm slowly getting better with my pets hair. So I know I can overcome something like this, I just have to work at it.
Just doing the pedi's in my course was a big thing for me but I got there and passed.

Yeah its horrible to hate something like pedicures but love doing nails lol. I think i just have to put the main part of it to the back of my mind, wear gloves and be professional. Not saying ew ew ew ew everytime i touch the clients feet lol. Im going to try it for a while and if it brings me in as much income as im guessing its going to then i will stick wit it. Just got to get my head around it lol

I wear gloves through the entire service until it's time to polish...just for sanitary reasons. I feel the same way about feet. I don't like them but I do like the end result. I liken them to the ugly duckling that turns into a swan.

Yep deffiatly think gloves will be essential then for the majority of it. I think I will be able to take them off and polish freely without gloves at the end once I know they are clean and sanitized by myself. I can do my own feet but just cringe at the thought of doing someone else. But like someone else said ppl with horrible manky feet most likely won't come in for a pedicure. And if someone asks for a pedicure who does have horrible feet I will simply tell them I can't until their feet are cleaned up for sanitary reasons which I think is fair ?

Yep deffiatly think gloves will be essential then for the majority of it. I think I will be able to take them off and polish freely without gloves at the end once I know they are clean and sanitized by myself. I can do my own feet but just cringe at the thought of doing someone else. But like someone else said ppl with horrible manky feet most likely won't come in for a pedicure. And if someone asks for a pedicure who does have horrible feet I will simply tell them I can't until their feet are cleaned up for sanitary reasons which I think is fair ?

I'm sorry to tell you, my dear, people with horrible feet most certainly will come in for pedis. They do all the time! I had a man come in with toenails so thick, my clippers designed for the thickest of thick toenails couldn't even cut them. Not only that but he literally had black MOLD growing on several of his toenails. The soles of his feet were like cement. It was the worse pedicure of my career. I actually became physically ill from the mold spores I filed off his toenails even before the pedicure was complete. Welcome to the world of the Nail Professional.:)

Oh that's really bad lol. I was thinking because I'm basically mobile and out my house that it will be more word of mouth people rather then walk ins. But wow that must have been an experience and a half. Hope your all better now though?

Forgot that you were mobile. But that could open you up to doing pedis for the elderly, bedridden or otherwise shut-in which could create a similar scenario. Just keep an open mind and realize that your services are appreciated.

Thanks for the advice, I know that whatever situation I encounter I will be professional about it :) any tips you have to make it a bit more pleasant? Again thanks!

Positive attitude = positive outcome. You'll do great!

Latest posts

Back