Peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixnmatch1

Reaction score
I have a regular client for gel polish but a I have noticed that her slight peeling nails have become worse o have advised vitamins, hand cream, cuticle oil. I am going to ask that she mentions it to her doctor too, she has a manual cold job. Is there any other advice

I have a regular client for gel polish but a I have noticed that her slight peeling nails have become worse o have advised vitamins, hand cream, cuticle oil. I am going to ask that she mentions it to her doctor too, she has a manual cold job. Is there any other advice

I don't think a bit of de-lamination when someone has a manual job which pretty much explains in part why it is happening, is a medical issue or a dietary one. Nails are made of keratin and the free edge is non living, so unless your client is seriously deprived in her diet, vitamin supplements will be of no value to her nails.

The free edge is the oldest part of the nail plate and buffing the surface and dehydrating it constantly during PREP and removal will be more drying to that area as it will have been through the process the most, being the oldest.

You can smooth and remove any de-lamination gently in the usual way you would do if you were manicuring nails like the ones you describe and then use the Brisa Lite Removable Smoothing gel on her nails; this product is made for nails in the condition hers are in and will help protect them from the pressures they are under; plus you do not buff the nail plate at all when using Brisa Lite or Shellac which helps to kerp the nail plate in a healthier state.

Last edited:
Thankyou for such a quick reply,would i be ok to use the brisa lite with my current,IBD just gel polish? :)

Thankyou for such a quick reply,would i be ok to use the brisa lite with my current,IBD just gel polish? :)

Yes you can and if you did use it on all your clients as a base, you would not have to buff the natural nails at all before applying your IBD, thus making clients' nails much more healthy in the process and lengthening the length of the wear of the gel.

Now there's a thought!! :)

Thats great,Thankyou i will be purchasing :)

We use shellac and Geleration in the salon that I work for and we often have clients who have this problem as a result of having the polish on for a length of time.
We always advise if this happens that they take the polish off and leave it off for about a month and in that time use Jessica fusion which is a food treatment for the natural nail & your client should be back to Normal in no time. :)

We use shellac and Geleration in the salon that I work for and we often have clients who have this problem as a result of having the polish on for a length of time.
We always advise if this happens that they take the polish off and leave it off for about a month and in that time use Jessica fusion which is a food treatment for the natural nail & your client should be back to Normal in no time. :)

There is no need at all for taking a break from Shellac if the whole system is used correctly and with the correct CND protocols, particularly no nail buffing and using the CND Remover Wraps and CND Nourishing Remover.

It to me is clear in this particular instance that the client is rough on her nails which are also exposed to extremes of temperature and that they need protection and care and Regular use of Solar Oil in her home care. You cannot 'feed' non living keratin ... but you can condition it with Solar Oil.

Nails shouldn't change their character completely just because they are wearing a gel overcoat.

According to Jessica it is a food.....not literally food!!
Anything put over a nail isn't going to be great for the nail as it isn't allowing the natural nail to breathe!!
But as I said above if she has a problem with peeling nails then fusion is great!!

According to Jessica it is a food.....not literally food!!
Anything put over a nail isn't going to be great for the nail as it isn't allowing the natural nail to breathe!!
But as I said above if she has a problem with peeling nails then fusion is great!!

I'm sorry, but I can't let that go ... Nails do not breathe; a very old myth and you cannot feed them, another old myth, and if these things are what is being taught to you or that you are teaching to others then I despair because it is not factual information. Marketing information always tends to take advantage of myths like these and this 'food' business is marketing misinformation.

The best protection for nails is an overlay of some sort as long as the natural nail is not being compromised by filing or buffing, harsh solvents or aggressive removal; even podiatrists agree with that.

Last edited:
My client has always has some slight peeling of her nails and I noticed that it had gotten a little worse lately,I am going to sell her some nourishing cuticle/nail oil and ask about her diet,working together we can hopefully improve the condition of her nails :)

From personal experience, I have always suffered from peeling nails. Not terrible and not all over the nail plate, but I'd always get some separation of the layers at the very tips. They are A LOT better now, nothing has changed except I've upped my moisture routine. I solar oil at least 2 times a day and I use hand cream constantly. I keep a mini tube of hand cream in my hand bag too, as my hands get dry and tight when I'm out and exposed to the cold. Conditioning the nail with a lot of moisture will help, as will providing a layer of protection; I never leave my nails bare.

Nails are dead, hair is dead and dead things do not breathe or take in nutrients. They can be conditioned into a better state though.

Thanks for your input Carly,my client has the peeling in the same place as yourself,I am going to get her to up her up her moisturise toon with solar oil and hand cream,I will keep you posted,thanks ladies :)

Thanks for your input Carly,my client has the peeling in the same place as yourself,I am going to get her to up her up her moisturise toon with solar oil and hand cream,I will keep you posted,thanks ladies :)

You're very welcome :hug: tell her she cannot moisturise enough! I also like to put a hand cream on over my solar oil quite often, as a moisture pack. This might sound a bit nuts, but another thing I do is wear gloves when I wash my hair. I've been doing it for months now and it has worked a treat! Previously my hair was slicing through the peelies and taking off layers of nail plate! Sometimes it would tear off the nail quite badly and leave me with a split. Wearing gloves whilst washing my hair has totally solved that problem. I get the thin latex ones from my local DIY store, they last through quite a lot of washes.

Latest posts

Back