Perm that did not take, what did I do wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairg33k

Reaction score
Over the weekend I did a perm and used larger rods the black and brown which are over an inch in size. Followed instructions and once finished the hair was pin straight. Lost out on $$ & wasted my time. Ive never had this happen before. I shampooed with just regular what I had at the time then rolled it. Saturated with solution. Bloted. Waited. Checked curl. Curl liojed okay so I rinsed. Blotted. Neutralized. Then bam! Straight hair -_▪
What could have happend?:(

Why did you blot after the perm solution? Did you get S shape when checking. How long was neut on for?

It's all about the neutralising that's finishes the perm so I'm guessing you done something wrong there?

Was the hair still wet after you had finished winding?
You've blotted the perm solution off so the bonds wouldn't have broken so your neutraliser wouldn't have reformed them.

Over the weekend I did a perm and used larger rods the black and brown which are over an inch in size. Followed instructions and once finished the hair was pin straight. Lost out on $$ & wasted my time. Ive never had this happen before. I shampooed with just regular what I had at the time then rolled it. Saturated with solution. Bloted. Waited. Checked curl. Curl liojed okay so I rinsed. Blotted. Neutralized. Then bam! Straight hair -_▪
What could have happend?:(

Why did you blot the hair after applying the perm solution? Neutralising is very important when perming hair and you have to make sure you do it properly. Did you rinse for long enough and leave the neutraliser on for the correct amount of time? How long did you leave the perm solution on for? X

Why did you blot after the perm solution? Did you get S shape when checking. How long was neut on for?

I blotted only lightly after applying the solution because it was dripping in some areas but maybe I blotted too much :/ perm solution was on for 10 muns which was the max allowed time for that particular product. Neutralizer was on about 6 mins.

Was the hair still wet after you had finished winding?
You've blotted the perm solution off so the bonds wouldn't have broken so your neutraliser wouldn't have reformed them.

After winding all rods were wet but not dripping just enough to be evenly wet to allow the solution to absorb evenly. But I mentioned to annother user who asked sort of the same thing about blotting. Maybe I blotted off too much access solution. Only blotted to kerp from dtipping but maybe that was my issue was o blotted too much. My client has blavk color treated hair with grey regrowth. Normal textured hair not too thick and pretty healthy.I used bigger rods because she wanted more of a nice beach wave. I was thinking that may have a concern to me. Maybe too big. They were 1 and 1/4" and 1 and 7/8 something like that.

After leaving the neutraliser on for 6 mins did you then take the rollers out and apply more neutraliser for 5 minutes? X

Why did you blot the hair after applying the perm solution? Neutralising is very important when perming hair and you have to make sure you do it properly. Did you rinse for long enough and leave the neutraliser on for the correct amount of time? How long did you leave the perm solution on for? X

I rinsed solution out for about 5 minutes straight. Then after blotting access water off I allpied new cotton around hair line and applied neutralizer and left for 5-6 mins. The rods I did check had an ok curl like a wave beinv that I used larger rods. Maybe I over blotted the perm solution. :/

After leaving the neutraliser on for 6 mins did you then take the rollers out and apply more neutraliser for 5 minutes? X

No after that 5 mins I rinsed hair for abput 5 mins then removed rods and kept rinsing. As I was unrolling each rod I noticed nothing but straight hair.

Your meant to take the rollers out and apply more neutraliser for another 5 minutes. Unless the perm solution you use states otherwise but normally you always have to do that x

What perm did you use, what was the hair type? Perm lption is usually left on for 15-20 mins, check, thorough rinse 5-10 mins, blot excess moisture, apply neutraliser for a good 5 mins, unwind rods, apply second lot of neutraliser for another 5 mins. Thorough rinse apply herbal anti oxi.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Magenta hair has it spot on.

How longs her hair the rollers might have been too big.

But next time don't blot the lotion when you've applied it. Make sure she's gowned up properly and use a drip tray.

It sounds like you've not neutralised properly. You've not let the bonds in the hair form to the shape of the curl.

Latest posts

Back