Perron Rigot Wax Temperature

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essentia

Reaction score
Hi I use the euroblond no strip wax but I would like to know what the optimum temperature for this wax is. Too hot and it can damage skin and too low it starts to become thick and string. I have a heater by Hive and feel at the moment the best way is too keep fiddling with the temperature dial. Also has anyone found that a certain amount of wax in the heater works better and does the more you heat it impair it in some way. Years ago the more you heated hot wax the better it was - it become seasoned, but the formulations are different now. I do not want to be hit and miss and worry about how unprofessional this looks with a client but I do not want to cause damage. Any suggestions please? :eek:

Hi Essentia,

The Euroblonde is applied just above body temperature (37°C) so needs to be a little hotter than this in the pot as it cools fairly rapidly on the spatula. At the right temperature, the Euroblonde will have the consistency of golden syrup.

The 'strings' are an unfortunate quirk of the Perron Rigot non-strip waxes, which arise from the inclusion of elastomers - these ingredients keep the wax flexible as it sets and allow for the strong 'shrink wrapping' properties that we love, without them we'd have to apply thick, multiple layers in figure-of-eight patterns like we used to with the old hot waxes. The strings won't stick to your client's skin or clothes, but they can certainly work your nerves - the trick is to twizzle your spatula over the pot a few times before applying to the skin, which stops any drizzly stringy bits from trailing across the room! If you get strings after applying wax to the body, hold your spatula close to the skin and wave it back and forth a couple of times to break the threads.

You will only damage your wax after repeated or extensive 'speed heating' at too high a temperature, which can damage the plasticity of the product. Different amounts of wax in the heater can affect how easy it is for you to control the temperature, but this won't impair the adhesion properties of the product itself. I like to keep my pot topped up over the halfway point, as I find this makes it easier to control, but this is a personal preference.

I use a large (1000cc) Hive heater which is set to come on 90 minutes before I come into work. I keep it set between 2.5 and 3 all day, which keeps it at the perfect temperature (I decant my pellets into the Hive inner bucket, but you will need a slightly higher temp if using a tin as there is a bigger gap between the tin and the walls of the heater). The wax will always melt from the edges first, so I just give it a quick stir when I come in of a morning, or take from the sides of the pot if I have a client first thing.

All hard waxes are more temperature sensitive than soft waxes, so you may indeed need to adjust the dial slightly as you work. The room temperature will also affect your hard wax more than it does soft wax. Remember that the wax is always cooler and thicker the nearer you get to the middle of the pot - use this knowledge to your advantage if you find the wax is getting too hot.

I hope that helps a bit. Check out my Hard Wax Tutorial for more tips, or you can come and visit the salon anytime you like - I'm also based in Basingstoke and it would be great to meet you.

Andy :D

Last edited:
Hi Andy Thanks for the great info. I am coming back to beauty after a break and setting up from home. I will have to pop into your salon and meet you sometime. I think I will have to leave time to heat the wax more slowly and put a bit more wax in the heater. Many thanks :)

Hi Andy Thanks for the great info. I am coming back to beauty after a break and setting up from home. I will have to pop into your salon and meet you sometime. I think I will have to leave time to heat the wax more slowly and put a bit more wax in the heater. Many thanks :)

You're very welcome Essentia, just drop me a line when you want to pay a visit.

You can speed-heat the Euroblonde wax in an emergency, but just keep an eye on it, turn it back down after 5-10 minutes and stir like crazy to ensure an even distribution of heat. A slow, steady heat is by far a better way of making sure you don't burn anyone and also prevents any degradation to the plasticity of your wax.

Wax on! :D

Latest posts

Back