Phrases and sayings-do we know what they mean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one that popped into my head, nit sure why :-D

"The wheel is turning, but the hamsters dead" !!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No point flogging a dead horse.
Lights are on but nobody's home :-D

I have never gotten this one
"Close but no cigar."

And what is this one referring to?
"it's not over til the fat lady sings."

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

The cigar one refers to when fairground owners in the States used to give out cigars as prizes. When someone didn't win the prize the stall holder would say, close, but no cigar.

The fat lady one refers to the typically very overweight opera singers, specifically Brunnhilde in Wagner's Götterdämmerung. Hers is the last aria of the opera and lasts about 20 minutes.

Can you tell I'm a proper nerd!

One my daughter never understood when I said it when she was hoovering -
"Do you live in a lighthouse?!" - ie she missed all the corners lol

Walk a mile in these shoes - don't judge me til you've lived as I've lived.

If it's in the cat it's in the kitten - What is in the parents will often show in the child

**** or bust - did I make that one up??? - go all out!

'Were ya born in a field?'

Glamour Fairy :)

... bit crude but a couple more...

'the best part of you went down ya mum's leg'
'You were the one ya mum should have swallowed'
'Just to think at one point you were the fastest'

Hope these are allowed :o

Thought of some more

You yanking my chain? (You winding ne up?)

Does the pope s*** in the woods? (I was trying to ask do bears s*** in the woods but was thinking of is the Pope Catholic at the same time).

Build a bridge and get over it (stop going on and deal with it)

The cigar one refers to when fairground owners in the States used to give out cigars as prizes. When someone didn't win the prize the stall holder would say, close, but no cigar.

The fat lady one refers to the typically very overweight opera singers, specifically Brunnhilde in Wagner's Götterdämmerung. Hers is the last aria of the opera and lasts about 20 minutes.

Can you tell I'm a proper nerd!

Thank you so much lol it has always bothered me haha :D

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

My nan always said
As much use as a spare dick at a wedding

Were ere you be let your wind blow free

Ive seen better legs on a sparrow

Those were the clean ones, she was quite a crude ol girl lol
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

"He who digs a pit for others falls into it himself"

Brilliant. That means a lot right now. Eloquently said! Will be using that quote!!! Thanks a lot.

Is a pigs arse pork
You want the moon on a stick
What's that got to do with the price of fish (though my friend and ex used to say bread or milk)

Cheap at half the price- hate that saying it doesn't make any sense!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cheap at half the price- hate that saying it doesn't make any sense!

"cheap" is actually meant to be "cheep" meaning goods, so the saying "cheep at the half the price" means 50% off all goods.
The confusion seems to have arisen out of misunderstanding the word "cheap/cheep"

Even a dog has the sense not to **** where it sleeps.

I've seen more meat on a butchers knife ( referring to someone on the skinny side)

"cheap" is actually meant to be "cheep" meaning goods, so the saying "cheep at the half the price" means 50% off all goods.
The confusion seems to have arisen out of misunderstanding the word "cheap/cheep"
Thanks for clearing this up I've never understood it either!

Love some of these they have really made me laugh!
A Couple spring to mind :)

What goes around comes around - do a good deed and it will come back do a bad deed it will come back (kinda like the idea of that Karma)

I S*** you not - I'm serious

It's like the national grid in here! - one of my favs when the bloody kids keep leaving all the lights on!

Better than a poke in the eye - better than nothing

I'll knock you into next week - give you a good beating ( my Dad seemed to favour I'll knock seven bells of s*** outta you" lol he'd come out with a lot of cocky saying over the years boat race-face apple & pears stairs ect)

My favourite of all time was if my Dad was going out and as a kid we'd all be like "dad dad where u going" to which we'd always get either " to see a man about a dog" or " I'm going round the bend" inevitably out of three kids he'd get back a " me me I wanna go round the bend"

Latest posts

Back