Pictures on my website.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Ruth, I think that about sums it up, lol...

Lets not get generic pictures to make a website more attractive and people purchasing pictures and passing them off as their own work confused. There's absolutely nothing wrong at all with purchasing pictures to improve the look of your marketing.

Carl, the photos were for a website for a spa that hasn't opened yet (it was a building site when work was first started on the website)... sure, the spa is in Newport (South Wales), and Doctor Who is often seen around there, so I guess he could have done Jacquie a favour and headed off in the Tardis to after the building work on the spa was finished and opened and brought back a few photos... however the photos in question are really just generic stock photos of people having treatments done and whatnot, as opposed to examples of actual work (e.g. nail enhancements) - so I think it's justified in this case - the site would look far less interesting without them!

Generic is still not representative of what you do, nor what the client can expect ......... no excuses, they are not a true representation.

Argue/disagree as you may, but they are someone else's work, not your own.

I may be different to a potential customer, by I would prefer an honest/realistic representation of work.

I have become a cynic, not only by false representation in media, but by false representation almost every time I pick up the phone.

I think it's about time people set themselves apart by honest representation, rather than textbook bullshyte (and pictures).

Potential clients are wising up to crap calls, crap websites, crap pictures and actually appreciate honesty in what is achievable in a service, rather than pipedreams.

Just think about how you think and what you expect from a service.........

Honesty is an interesting advertising medium that has yet to be explored.

Or has is lying (unrealistic and the prettiest outcome) become the accepted?

Before you answer .......... think about what you expect and what actually happens.

Generic is still not representative of what you do, nor what the client can expect ......... no excuses, they are not a true representation.

Argue/disagree as you may, but they are someone else's work, not your own.

I may be different to a potential customer, by I would prefer an honest/realistic representation of work.

I have become a cynic, not only by false representation in media, but by false representation almost every time I pick up the phone.

I think it's about time people set themselves apart by honest representation, rather than textbook bullshyte (and pictures).

Potential clients are wising up to crap calls, crap websites, crap pictures and actually appreciate honesty in what is achievable in a service, rather than pipedreams.

Just think about how you think and what you expect from a service.........

Honesty is an interesting advertising medium that has yet to be explored.

Or has is lying (unrealistic and the prettiest outcome) become the accepted?

Before you answer .......... think about what you expect and what actually happens.

I dont think thats what Ruth is saying. No-one should be passing off generic pictures off as their own work, its illegal for a start.

However, I might have a picture of a flower, or a summers days (god, struggling for examples there! lol) on my salons website to portray an image or as symbology- that doesnt mean I had to grow the flowers personally, or set up my camera on the beach!

Your industry rightly needs pictures of the actual nails as its an aesthetic value judgement people are making, and they will need to make that judgement on actual pictures of your work.

Someone offering Reiki or suchlike doesnt need actual pictures of them sat there massaging someone- they need to create a look and feel AND have pics of the salon or themselves as well.

I dont think thats what Ruth is saying. No-one should be passing off generic pictures off as their own work, its illegal for a start.

However, I might have a picture of a flower, or a summers days (god, struggling for examples there! lol) on my salons website to portray an image or as symbology- that doesnt mean I had to grow the flowers personally, or set up my camera on the beach!

Your industry rightly needs pictures of the actual nails as its an aesthetic value judgement people are making, and they will need to make that judgement on actual pictures of your work.

Someone offering Reiki or suchlike doesnt need actual pictures of them sat there massaging someone- they need to create a look and feel AND have pics of the salon or themselves as well.

I'm talking about nails, not flowers or rocks or butterflies, I'm talking about realistic results in regard to nails, cummon guys, I don't expect pictures of my own original hot rocks, I think you know what I mean.

I'm a nail man, doing nails, beauty is a little bit different, you can exaggerate all you want, I just use pictures of work that I have done that truly represent what I can do.

This isn't an opportunity to pick me and my opinions apart, I just represent my own work.

And if you truly wanted to represent your own work, you would take and use your own pictures.

Although I appreciate your pretty pictures of backs, butterflies and rocks supplied by others willing to supply their pictures for a fee.

I do my own pictures, demonstrating my own work, which to me and my clients is representative of what the client expects and their end results.

Don't put words in my mouth that I haven't spoken (or for that matter even thought).

But if 10 of you use the same picture, all it serves is to make you all look quite generic., just look at the majority of your pre-packed websites.

Why not be individual?. The cost of a digital camera these days is less than the cost to buy a generic picture.

So, if you have any individuality, and want credible representation, throw your hot rocks in a different direction.

"Don't put words in my mouth that I haven't spoken (or for that matter even thought)."

I didn't, im not arguing. Im just explaining as a graphic designer, web designer and a salon owner why some people might like to use generic pictures

You'll find that in the majority of my post that I was agreeing with you about pictures of actual work.

Last edited:
Do pictures have to be of your work ? , Im quite happy with bottles of polish etc on my website frankly,if displaying other peoples work is going to mislead people,and they want to see what I can do , then they can just take a look in my gallery.:wink2:

Thanks for all your replies and help BTW.

Last edited:
Hope I'm not butting in here, but this is interesting and rather personal for me. On doing a search on google images, much to my amazement, I recognised the photo of a glitter tattoo I had done on google images. It is on my website, but the link from google images took me to someone else's website and I can only assume they've seen it on my website, copied it and added to theirs. Is this allowed? if not, what can I do?

"Is this allowed? if not, what can I do?"

It's absolutely not allowed! Send them a polite email and give them a week to take it off- and keep an eye on it.

Evening geeks,could someone put my mind at rest please, not sure if this is ok ,but have changed my website today myself,and am a bit unsure wether I should be using the pics I have on it.
Im mostly concerned about the one on the home page as it does look familar,really love it, but sure Ive seen it before somewhere, any idea anyone if its a CND pic ??
Let me know please if I need to remove any please,thought Id double check now,rather be safe than sorry ;)

hey it looks great. i think it could use some easier navigation and maybe a host. things are getting faster on the net and it great to take advantage of some of the tools avalible have a look at what we have done . we have a host that talk to you with youtube video emmbeded
welcome to Lusciouslox - Home Page

"Is this allowed? if not, what can I do?"

It's absolutely not allowed! Send them a polite email and give them a week to take it off- and keep an eye on it.

If they don't take it off, you could follow it through with a strongly worded "CEASE AND DESIST" letter threatening legal action if they don't take it down by a particular date too...

Many thanks for the advice.

I got a rather curt reply that they had removed it with a comment that they had got it from google images and it had no copyright disclaimer on it.

Having done a little search around copyright, am I right in thinking that copyright is automatic and requires no disclaimer?

Yes, you're right. And they should know better than using Google Images.

You might want to think about using Ruths picture watermarking software in future.

Yes, you're right. And they should know better than using Google Images.

You might want to think about using Ruths picture watermarking software in future.

You mean the Salon Alchemy Watermark one that I set up as a "proof of concept" just under a couple of years ago, Carl? Yep - that's still working :)

Latest posts

Back