Pimples after back wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have not been waxing for long and have not had many male clients. I had one guy come in for a back wax, everything went well but apparently the next day he had these pimple like lumps all over his back. Apparently they were still there a week later.
Is this normal? What Should i do?
Any advice please

I sometimes get small white heads after waxing. But not big pimples that last a week. They are usually in coarser hair areas (like bikini) and are just like the pore gets angry after having the hair ripped out? I call them "waxing zits" - not that I would ever say that to a client!

Maybe he was really sensitive? Has he been waxed before? Maybe our more experienced male waxers might have some answers for you.

Hi,

I get red spots or bumps don't know which is a more suitable term on my arms after waxing, and mine can last up to a week or so if i don't put anything on them. I find sterex works though. They soon go.

Without seeing them it's hard to tell whether it is normal or not. It is, however, normal for men to get spots on their back after waxing. They need to exfoliate every couple of days. I did my nephews back and he had a whole back of red spots but they soon cleared up.

Years ago one of my clients, who is a consultant dermatologist, told me to recommend an anti-bacterial wash in combination with exfoliation for back & chest waxing on men and I've found this has worked wonders.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Years ago one of my clients, who is a consultant dermatologist, told me to recommend an anti-bacterial wash in combination with exfoliation for back & chest waxing on men and I've found this has worked wonders.

This is what i advise my male waxing clients to do also :hug:

Would also advise client to not to be too abrasive with scrubbing and cause the spots to pop as this would cause more infection.

You could get the client to use an after wax lotion at home, something with tea tree?

My other half gets really bad spots after waxin on his chest what make anti bac wash would you recomend ?

Spots afterwards are normal for some clients. If they last more than a week, with no sign of clearing up, I would suggest they see their doc for anti-biotics, as it could turn into Folliculitus.

I get my clients to use a dry bath/body brush and then moisturise with E45 lotion. They do this in the bath before they wet their body or the brush, then they can use shower get and wet the brush. Some people find an anti-bacterial face/bady wash helps too. Something like Oxi or Clearasil.

It's a funny thing because we (waxers) always feel a slight tinge of guilt, although it's nothing we've done.

I always come out in a very sore rash just like prickly heat spots a day after waxing , they are nothing like proper spots , as they have no head on them
they are just tiny swollen rasied red very sore spots of skin
that feel exactly like prickly heat or nettle stings ,

I think it's just because I have extremley sensitive skin and it always happens,
and by the time it goes away the hair is back again , even if I pluck the hair out on my upper lip or brow without touching the skin ... it still happens ,
so I know it's not the therapist or the wax ,
it's just my sensitivities I think someone suggested I take an antihistamine tablet before hand , which makes good sense , :)

Just to add. I know it sounds crazy, but if you wax fast, you'll find the reaction isn't so bad.

It's just the blood and heat under the skin caused by the trauma of ripping the how out of the follicle that causes sebum to come to the surface. It's just the way the skin reacts. Ideally, an ice pack placed on the area immediately would help, but few of us have the luxury of a freezer in the room. A cold towel would be an ok subsitute. You just want to cool the area down as quickly as you heated it up.

After around 3 to 4 monthly waxes, he should see a reduction in this. Mediterranean and Asian clients may take a bit longer as their hair is thick and dark. Remember though that it's only a minority who get this and it really is luck of the draw.

This is why we have aftercare advice and if they followed it, they could avoid this. xxx

I apply a wonderful soothing masque for back and chest waxing clients plus any facial waxing. It soothes and cools the skin quickly and reduces the erythema. Every client comments on how good it feels. If a client has a particular excessive reaction, I would suggest they take a antihistamine to help with the heat and itching.

I had a client in the early summer and his back came up in 50p piece size wheels .. I was in a total panic inside as he told me (after half his back had been waxed) that he was going on honeymoon at the end of that week. I kept in contact with him during the week and he followed my advice and reported that the swellings had gone before his wedding phew! hehe!

The good thing about your male clients is that they usually follow your advice :)

Thanks guys ill get him to try that its so much better wen hes waxed but by the time the spots have gone the hairs coming back ! Ahh men

Latest posts

Back