Pissed off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxing-gal

Reaction score
i am a newly trained nail tech (2 months) and because of this I charge a bit more then 1/2 the price everyone else does. I am confident in my work however I know its not the best. I do nails about 3 full sets per week and out of 3 1 is always bitching about something. Too much white tip, too much pink (umm its not like I choose LOL) whatever it may be and its starting to really get to me. To me I know the saying you get what you pay for but i think I do a damn good job for the price they pay. Anyways how would you take this?I use LCN products so they are not cheap and do not cut corners of any kind.

Start weeding them out by not having any space to book them. Sounds like they just like to hear themselves. There is no point in working on people that are going to make you angry and doubtful. But be careful that you are not being oversensitive and taking their constructive critism as b--tching.
However, with each complaint, you should be taking it into consideration and practicing more.

First of all keep your chin up Hun! People don't realise how hard it is "doing nails". I'm newly trained and I am being up models at the moment - I've been lucky that my first model is a mum and she has passed on my details down the school and I am getting loads of models like this! The one thing I do when I get a phone call is let the potential client know that I'm newly qualified and I'm slower than the average conveyor belt shop. I'm very lucky in the fact that all the woman that I've done have been very understanding and realise I do my very best - if I came accross a client that was moaning like yours first I would very politly mention that this is why you charge model prices. If they don't like your work they can always go somewhere else.

Learning nail enhancements is hard enough without people making it harder for you!

Keep your chin up because for every moaner there's a another pleasent model willing to help!

Hth,
jodie x

My approach to complaints is completely different. Any clients these days are important enough to your business to try to keep them and to keep them happy. You are in no position to 'weed out' anyone. Learn to deal with complaints and not to take them personally but rather to treat them as an opportunity to 'get it right' for your clients.

You have only been doing nails for a couple of months and you don't really do very many at the minute and you need all kinds of clients to ever get to a really competent stage.

Complaints/requests will never go away (no matter what service you offer). People have a right to complain or ask for what they are paying for and you have the duty to not just take their money, but to do the job they want done. If the whites are too long or the pinks too short, who else's responsibility it it? Of course you can choose to make any nail design you want for the client to enhance the look of their nails; that is what we do.

If after 2 short months, clients piss you off by just voicing their opinion to you then you had maybe have a re-think of the business you are in? Treat complaints as the opportunity they are for a 2nd chance from the client for you to get things right.

got to agree with Gigi, after just a few months of doing nails your still gonna have a lot to learn hunni, everyone has a different set of nails, everyone is individual, you just have to learn to adapt to each client and give them what they want, you need to build up your name and reputation, not start turning people away because they complain. Put yourself in their shoes, they are paying for a service, no matter what they are paying, ask them what their expectations of the nails are, do they prefer longer nail beds etc? Without the clients ud be sat there twiddling your thumbs.

xxx

I would first start by skipping the expletives when posting here. These forums are open to the community and one just never knows who might read them. Also, it gives a poor representation of our community.
Please take this as a 'constructive' critique meant to be helpful advice.

Then, you need to consider that you are newly trainined. Perhaps that client is accustomed to someone with more experience. OR they are accustomed to someone that had them as a client long enough, they knew exactly what they wanted. Or perhaps your skill is just not 'there' yet.
That's ok. It's a learning curve. We all go through it.
Post pics in the critique section to get some helpful advice to better meet their needs and improve your 'eye' by having your peers point out what you missed. Perhaps she's right, perhaps she's wrong. Without seeing your work, we couldn't say.

At this point, so early in your business, you should be thankful for whatever comes your way. It's a cut-throat business. YES some clients are difficult and 'special'. But then, so are some techs :wink2:
Look at it as PRACTICE and preparation and an opportunity. If you can please the most demanding client......then you're ready to go.

Uhm definately time to rethink your career. This industry is customer based, and the "customer is always right":suprised: rules - so either grin and bare it and learn from this or move on! sorry to sound harsh, but you have to not be afraid to put yourself out there and face your critics. Good luck whatever you decide.

I have clients like that too, who always find something to complain about. As great as it would be to just kick em out, I can't afford to do that.

So instead, I try to keep them on the same page as me as I do their nails. I ask if they're okay with each tiny little step I take, and I make sure they understand that if they have something they want me to change they need to tell me NOW and there's no going back. Make sure to do it in a sweet tone too so that they feel flattered. That's very important.

You could try that with your clients. There's also a possibility that because you're new, they feel that your work isn't "good enough". When I was at my old salon, my boss handed me over one of her clients. The client was okay at her first visit and loved her nails, but once she learned that I had just gotten my license, all the woman could ever do was complain about my work, and in the end she told my boss that she didn't want me working on her because I was too new to understand how to do it properly. Pfffffffffft!

That's a hard one, as your confidence will be knocked, but try and ride through it and take it as constructive criticism, it will make you a better tech in the end, and you will learn that some ladies find a different way to describe what they want to what you know - hope that makes sense.

I remember one of my first clients asked for oval nails, and when I did them (perfectly in my eyes!) she said she meant squoval!!!! so I had to change them all, and of course then they were too short! Make sure you ask and ask and ask again what your client wants, to make sure they understand that you are giving them what they want. Communication is the key.

xxxx

i am a newly trained nail tech (2 months) and because of this I charge a bit more then 1/2 the price everyone else does. I am confident in my work however I know its not the best. I do nails about 3 full sets per week and out of 3 1 is always bitching about something. Too much white tip, too much pink (umm its not like I choose LOL) whatever it may be and its starting to really get to me. To me I know the saying you get what you pay for but i think I do a damn good job for the price they pay. Anyways how would you take this?I use LCN products so they are not cheap and do not cut corners of any kind.

Presumably you are talking short nail beds? If yes it might be worth considering custom blending. Custom blending has got to be one of the best innovations ever in the nail enhancement industry!

I would first start by skipping the expletives when posting here. These forums are open to the community and one just never knows who might read them. Also, it gives a poor representation of our community.
Please take this as a 'constructive' critique meant to be helpful advice.

Then, you need to consider that you are newly trainined. Perhaps that client is accustomed to someone with more experience. OR they are accustomed to someone that had them as a client long enough, they knew exactly what they wanted. Or perhaps your skill is just not 'there' yet.
That's ok. It's a learning curve. We all go through it.
Post pics in the critique section to get some helpful advice to better meet their needs and improve your 'eye' by having your peers point out what you missed. Perhaps she's right, perhaps she's wrong. Without seeing your work, we couldn't say.

At this point, so early in your business, you should be thankful for whatever comes your way. It's a cut-throat business. YES some clients are difficult and 'special'. But then, so are some techs :wink2:
Look at it as PRACTICE and preparation and an opportunity. If you can please the most demanding client......then you're ready to go.

Hmmm. I was surprised by the title of this thread! Maybe 'Fed Up' would be more appropriate?

Latest posts

Back