Please help - at my wits end!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
So my wee salon has been open nearly 4 months now. Christmas was great, Jan was fine but this month has been grim! I'm sitting here today with not a soul in. It's costing me more to open!
So far, I have about 90 clients on my books. I'm doing all I can regarding advertising - I dropped leaflets round the local shops, i have a website, big posters in the window, a refer-a-friend scheme, send monthly newsletters out to clients, carry business cards everywhere I go. It's like squeezing blood from a stone. :cry:
There are about 3 other salons in the town and I'm wondering whether the competition is too much? I'm a good therapist with a lot of training behind me and I don't want this to be a failure. I just don't know what else to do geeks.
Does this sort of thing take time? Please, geeks, any words of support or advice would be greatly appreciated at this time. I'm just so stressed and worried.
Thank you. :hug:

It can take a long time to build up a regular client base, depending upon population & so forth. It took me quite a few years to get really busy as I work in a small town. The lady in the shop next to me (a dog groomers) is also worrying at the moment, which I think is natural for a new business owner, it's always a shock when the hordes you'd hoped for don't suddenly turn up, but reputation takes time to build, longer than 4 months anyway, so keep upbeat!

How about organising something where you meet potential clients face-to-face, i.e. hold a demo day, have a day doing short demo treatments at a lower cost so people unsure can try you out (it also means you're not devaluing full treatments by lowering their costs drastically), go out to local interest groups to give talks & demonstrations (on nail care, looking after your skin etc etc). Perhaps give local shop owners a discount card for your salon so they can try out your treatments - these people will then hopefully talk to their friends & customers about you. Charity evenings also work well - maybe an evening doing mini-treatments where all money raised goes to a local charity? These kind of things can often also get you free press coverage.

keep your chin up hon it takes ages to get a big client base and you seem to be doing everything right and the tips martin gave are great so why not try out some of his ideas.. have a look in the other salons in your area and see what offers etc they are doing and go from there!!

Have you looked at how you are different/better than the competition ? Are you cheaper, better qualified or offer more treatments etc then make a point in your advertising about these points

I found it takes about a year to build up a steady client base to keep you busy all the time. Have you tried e-mailing or texting your clients with a 'late availability offer' when you have quiet times??

The most important thing is to stay positive and make all your clients and prospective clients think you are busy. Also make the most of the clients you do have coming in and offer them an 'add-on' treatment for free in the hope they will book this again. E.g a 15min taster massage with a facial etc.

Hope this helps.

I found it takes about a year to build up a steady client base to keep you busy all the time. Have you tried e-mailing or texting your clients with a 'late availability offer' when you have quiet times??

The most important thing is to stay positive and make all your clients and prospective clients think you are busy. Also make the most of the clients you do have coming in and offer them an 'add-on' treatment for free in the hope they will book this again. E.g a 15min taster massage with a facial etc.

Hope this helps.

This is what I do & it works wonders in getting clients in more often & spending more money :)

Have you looked at how you are different/better than the competition ? Are you cheaper, better qualified or offer more treatments etc then make a point in your advertising about these points

Aw Tash I feel for you but hand in there - You are seriously qualified and just need to get that message across I mean it only now am I getting a poster made for the window to show people that a master nail tech is inside. I have invested so much in the industry and know it will come back I just need to get my name out there - just like you.

Latest posts

Back