Please help - Brown/Red to Blonde disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JellyJane

Reaction score
Hi
I am a Nail Tech & Beauty Therapist and recently qualified in Hair. I have a Salon and girl working for me (level 3 hair) she had a client who has had colour in her hair but wants to go to a Wella 10/38. Her hair has been red and pink but then had a dark brown on so it was different colours, a bit red and a bit brown.

The girl that works for me gave her a couple of options and she chose to have it bleached. Trouble is the roots went ginger and the back/length have gone like a dark pink. We told her it wouldn't go blonde straight away and she was fine, thing is her mum and dad paid for it for her and they have gone ape saying they paid for blonde. She is coming back tomorrow as I said we will sort it out as I don't want a bad reputation but I'm not sure what we should do. I thought of bleach bathing it but wasn't sure as it was bleached yesterday.

Please can anyone help. We only use wella colour and I have blondor bleach and also L'oreal bleach. Also I don't know what colour they have put on it before.

This bit is just a rant about where she went before...
I am confident when doing colours or when doing foils with bleach but I haven't come across anyone with this problem before. I don't want to get it wrong as she had been to another salon and asked for layers and they chopped her hair badly and she had a line across top of her head which wasn't even an inch long!!! which I couldn't understand at all but then she told us she had extensions in and they took them out and there was glue left in so I'm wondering if they have cut them out but it's on the top of her head on her crown. I don't do extensions but I know you don't put them on the top but she said they had. she then carried on to say the girl that did it wasn't even qualified!!!! and has since gone and they refused to give her money back saying the girl has now gone and she had the money so they can't give her it back. And apparently someone is suing them as they messed her up.
Sorry for the long message but really could do with some help :eek:

Hiya yeah I would say itl be hard to get it really blonde I would probably do something along the lines of a gentle bleach bath then maybe do full head foils with some 7 or 8 base and some bleached ones that's if her hair is not in bad condition x

As long as the hair is returned to a reasonable colour in reasonable condition , I dont think they can sue you , but check with your insurer .

When she comes in , take pictures of before and after , just in case , and to show the short patch around the crown.

I dont know if you will get the pink out. Id hi-(prob not with bleach)and lowlight the whole head and flood with a semi . Id definately stick to warm tones and slightly darker , otherwise the pink wont cover . Give her a conditioning treatment and tell her to leave it alone for a few months!

didnt u do any strand tests? what % of peroxide did u use? how was the bleach applied? why didnt u strip it first?

Also , you dont say how old the girl is , if she is under 16 then the parents should have been with her for the consultation at least.

Hi, thanks for replies.

Sorry I didn't say, it wasn't me that bleached her hair it was the girl that works in my salon. She did strand test and it seemed ok. Her hair is quite dry. It's not her that is suing the other salon, it is someone else. She was ok, but her parents went mad, she is 19 but they paid for it so they have "gone off on one" I think she would be happy if we could just get rid of ginger roots and maybe get it slightly lighter without the pink. I am only level 2 qualified so not done colour correction hence having someone in salon. I mainly do beauty but confident cutting and highlights and never had a complaint and all clients have come back, I just don't want anyone complaining and getting a bad reputation.

do you think a light bleach bath would help or would it damage it too much x

thanks guys

Just to add bits I missed.
I was with another client and girl that did it applied bleach to ends and length then added to roots later. I think she used 9%.
She works in my salon but is self employed and I could just tell her to sort it but as it's my salon it's my reputation and I care!!!
I had thought about high/low lights and flooding but she really wants it lighter.

sorry if it wasn't clear on my first post, I just wanted to get some help :sad:

Hi, thanks for replies.

Sorry I didn't say, it wasn't me that bleached her hair it was the girl that works in my salon. She did strand test and it seemed ok. Her hair is quite dry. It's not her that is suing the other salon, it is someone else. She was ok, but her parents went mad, she is 19 but they paid for it so they have "gone off on one" I think she would be happy if we could just get rid of ginger roots and maybe get it slightly lighter without the pink. I am only level 2 qualified so not done colour correction hence having someone in salon. I mainly do beauty but confident cutting and highlights and never had a complaint and all clients have come back, I just don't want anyone complaining and getting a bad reputation.

do you think a light bleach bath would help or would it damage it too much x

thanks guys

Hi sorry iv just read this properly I would say this job is possibly not within your limits this is proper colour correction and we can advise on your description but your really need to know what you are doing as above said if the bleach bath doesn't take the pink out then use darker but I have a feeling your out your depth and attempting to bleach bath when you don't know what your doing could then result in further problems I would just tell the client your putting it back to dark as you don't feel you can achieve the desired colour xx

Thanks Molllie

I won't be doing it, the other girl will but I just wanted some advice so that I know she is doing it properly. I wouldn't attempt anything I wasn't confident in doing, as I know my limits.

Just that I will be there and watching so ensure it's ok.

Ahhh see this is where I'm terrible I don't read things fully such a bad habit I do it with magazines aswel lol

It is a hard one as without seeing it but really need to watch with the condition of the girls hair but I would personally as said gentle bleach bath then full head foils with couple of colours even if you have to do bleached ones with some light brown and explain the next time it will go lighter and explain that sometimes with colour correction you won't get the desired colour first time round but be careful with condition this is a big job for someone who may not be good with colour correction so if your not sure the girl who works for you can do it then don't risk it x

ok so were her roots her natural base? if so what base? the roots really shouldnt be orange!!! if her hair is dry already be very careful of condition!!! this needs bleach bathing first equal measurements of bleach 3% or 6% depending on depth and warm water! watch until u are happy with it, shampoo off, no conditioner, drench in porosity balancer and dry in. full head of foils very fine bleach 3% back to back with 8's and 9's an ash and a warm to give a multi tonal effect, use quassi's for these! give her a good treatment at the basin, and send her home with some!!! ht xx

Please please dont give into pressure if the hair is dry dont bleach it more .. remember what the next level of lift is after ginger - yellow . You could end up with a situation with yellow roots , ginger midlengths and pink ends which will be an even bigger mare to correct . The /7 wella range is great for taking any depth of hair ( inc blonde) darker without any khaki- you may think its as the colour is warm it will be ok to use plain base(but I wouldnt) - but think very carefully because it will soak up colour

Please please dont give into pressure if the hair is dry dont bleach it more .. remember what the next level of lift is after ginger - yellow . You could end up with a situation with yellow roots , ginger midlengths and pink ends which will be an even bigger mare to correct . The /7 wella range is great for taking any depth of hair ( inc blonde) darker without any khaki- you may think its as the colour is warm it will be ok to use plain base(but I wouldnt) - but think very carefully because it will soak up colour
the client wanted blonde and paid for blonde but didnt get it! after bleaching it once resulting in dryness u cant refuse to make it lighter as the job wasnt done in the first place and its up to you to put it right not take her back to square one, if all is carried out correctly it will be fine!!!

You can refuse to take it lighter , if there is a valid reason ,and then if she isnt happy, then you should refund the price of a colour correction elsewhere.
If the condition is fine then by all means go for it we cant see the hair . At the end of the day if its a choice between going blonde or losing hair ...

Tomorrow do an elasticity test, test the strength of the hair then choose to foil and flood, bleach bath, foil then flood etc

Cover yourself by testing the hair and ensuring the hair can withstand the chemical service.

Only do what you feel confident in xx

Latest posts

Back