Please help, can I put clear gel over coloured nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderland

Reaction score
hello everybody! may be it's a stupid question, but I really need some help. I tried to find a similar question in here before asking, couldn't find :o
Sometimes it's so difficult to find nice GEL colors, so I've been thinking if I could just use any color polish and seal it with clear gel, so that it lasts up to 2-3 weeks? If yes could u plz recommend me which polishes are best to use? And may be there are some tricks? As a clear gel I use "Nailsforu" ULTRA BOND. Would really appreciate any suggestions and opinions.
Thank you!

Fraid not.

If it were that simple, we wouldn't have needed Shellac or coloured gels. :lol:

But if you want to lTry the ongest lasting, fastest drying polish service then use LUMOS Top AND Bottom coat when you polish. Amazing stuff and if you retail a baby bottle of LUMOS Top to your client and she applies just once or twice at home over the top, she can get sometimes a full 2 weeks out of her manicure.

You can also use your gel as a base .. Cure and cleanse and then add your polish color and top cost ... again the colour will last much longer for the client.

Last edited:
Hi there I used shellac top coat over my nail varnishes an art an it lasts till they last see me, I know it's not meant for going over polish but I tried it an it worked for me. Reason I tried it was because u can't do art over the top of gel polish as it is sticky still an has to be followed by shellac top x

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only speak for GELeration, but with that you can seal a Jessica polish between their gel base and finish coat. It doesn't last as long as their gel polishes but it does last longer than a plain polish.

I use quattro for going over polish on an enhanced nail. It lasts really well, you have to file it off at your next appointment x

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

I've just found that cuccio UV Gel seal that says it can be used over polish.
Here is what it says about the product:
"Cuccio Professional UV Gel 14gm has a new extreme shine formula with a no sticky residue finish when cured! A UV activated high gloss UV top sealer can be used to seal polish, Acrylic gels or wraps, can also be used over your favorite nail polish on hands and feet"

I've ordered some to give it a try, I will let you know how I get on x

Oooh yes please let us know what its like!!

Is it in a brush on bottle or tub IYGWIM?

Hi there I used shellac top coat over my nail varnishes an art an it lasts till they last see me, I know it's not meant for going over polish but I tried it an it worked for me. Reason I tried it was because u can't do art over the top of gel polish as it is sticky still an has to be followed by shellac top x

You CAN do art over Shellac. You just have to rub the sticky layer off with isopropul alcohol, do your art, let it dry, then apply top coat of Shellac. You can even use the Shellac polishes to do the art. There's tons of videos by CND on Youtube that demontraste how to...

Latest posts

Back