Please help - le chat and problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaspeers

Reaction score
Hi I have been doing nails for 6 months now.I am using the le chat system, and this is what i trained in. Lady was brill, and I picked it up really well. Anyway, I have been having recurring problems with lifting and is driving me mad! I am considering giving it up, or at best trying another system....
I use gel powder system and mainly with white tips. I use everything from le chat.I have read instructions and as far as i know and can see I am doing everything fine. But they seem to be coming off people? Only 1 or 2 but still.... and lifting! What could i be doing wrong? The gel isnt touching the skin, I apply 2 layers of base then use the sanitiser and file and bumps after. And then 2 layers of top then sanitise / remove sticky residue and apply cuticle oil. I have tried a couple of different glues. Currently using millenium. I use tips I buy off ebay, always make sure they are abs plastic, i file the shine once glued to the nail after trimming to length then shape.I have tried some zebra nails from ebay which u cant file so they are still shiny when u put gel over, thinking of not doing these anymore but then doesnt explain when i use normal white tips filed...:irked:
Am using a 9 watt lamp, bulbs just changed, bought new base and top in le chat in case it was cos they were a little older, but still same prob!!
Just read instructions n only thing i can see i havent been doing is using sanitiser / sticky residue remover AFTER I have filed shine off natural nail at the beginning???HELP please

Hi I have been doing nails for 6 months now.I am using the le chat system, and this is what i trained in. Lady was brill, and I picked it up really well. Anyway, I have been having recurring problems with lifting and is driving me mad! I am considering giving it up, or at best trying another system....
I use gel powder system and mainly with white tips. I use everything from le chat.I have read instructions and as far as i know and can see I am doing everything fine. But they seem to be coming off people? Only 1 or 2 but still.... and lifting! What could i be doing wrong? The gel isnt touching the skin, I apply 2 layers of base then use the sanitiser and file and bumps after. And then 2 layers of top then sanitise / remove sticky residue and apply cuticle oil. I have tried a couple of different glues. Currently using millenium. I use tips I buy off ebay, always make sure they are abs plastic, i file the shine once glued to the nail after trimming to length then shape.I have tried some zebra nails from ebay which u cant file so they are still shiny when u put gel over, thinking of not doing these anymore but then doesnt explain when i use normal white tips filed...:irked:
Am using a 9 watt lamp, bulbs just changed, bought new base and top in le chat in case it was cos they were a little older, but still same prob!!
Just read instructions n only thing i can see i havent been doing is using sanitiser / sticky residue remover AFTER I have filed shine off natural nail at the beginning???HELP please

Well it is obvious you are not doing everything fine or you wouldn't be having problems and changing your system wont help your problems either.

Plenty of technicians like le chat and use it without problems so they must know something you don't or have the experience that you have not got yet after only 6 months.

If the company recommends the use of sanitiser then use it. Who would do nails without using sanitiser before application?? No one I know. It is sanitizer that takes oil and contamination off the surface .. fail to do it and your nails will lift off.

Emma, you have a few threads on here (and post giving advice!) and it is clear you are having lots of problems! You cannot learn how to do nails from a forum!

Paying £200 for training is minimal and who was it that taught you that is not available to help you now? Was it a course that you could get insured with?

You are talking about reading about the application and buying from ebay!! That is not the way to learn how to do good nails! Either as a hobbyist or a professional!

If you are serious you need to save your money and go on a GOOD course that actually teaches you properly.

I trained with a lechat professional which yes i can get insurance with.Shes still available but wot she sugggested i have done to no avail!

The reason i was going to try other systems was because i thought maybe le chat wasnt that great, since browsing on here i realise that it is highly thought of and so i am going to stick with this and try and prfect wot i am doin.

I am sorry if i have come on here and annoyed people, I have done nothing but cry all morning because i really dont know what else to do, I am going to print instructions and read as i go when i go and do my friends tomorrow and see if this makes a difference. And when i said i was doing everything fine, I meant I was doing what was said in the instructions as far as i can see!!! I am awaiting another reply from my trainer. I thought it may have been bulbs so changed these but obv not.

I came on here for advice, because when looking thru the threads I could see that many people had posted about lifting and problems, and i read one lady say we all face problems at the start and eventually we will see / hear somthing that will dawn on us and no feeling like getting it rigth from then on.

And i DO use sanitiser, of course i do right at the start, after base coats and after top coats. I just havent been doing it after prepping the nail, upon reading the instructions to refresh my memory i have seen this and of course next time i will definitely be using it.I only practice on friends / family still, and am aware of all contra indications etc and advise on care etc. My trainer passed me because she was confident with what she had seen from my practice etc... Like everyone I am havin just a couple of problems and was hoping I might get some advice from here but feel like I have just been picked at since i have posted anything! Again i cant be any more sorry for any offence i have caused.

Im sure the class that you did was good Le chat is nice, but one class is not enough , even one course isnt enough , the 200 you spent is a good investment a good strart, I wont even tell you what I have spent over the years (even in the past year alone :eek: ) as it is an on going thing theres always new products new techniqes ect to learn about ,
Have you thought about contacting your teacher for more lessons ? or truble shooting ? if money is an issue then this seems smarter as you already have products that you have trained with , insted of wasting money on products that you dont know,why not use the ones you have? learning and knowing your product is a huge step!

Thanks so much Angie. I feel like I am goin to have a nervous breakdown from all this lol. Everyone has said how good i am, but what isnt good is the time they last! Some sets last up to 4 wks which i am ecstatic with, but then the odd set I have these problems with only 1 or 2 nails. The nails i do look lovely after just ashame it isnt for more than a few days! I will give this a look at and again thank u so much

Thanks mizzy dizzy, it was over a few days, with practice in between classes. And then a short exam. I only do gel nails, and am sticking with this technique for a long while i assure u!!! I have decided to stick with le chat and master the art of this system 1st lol. The reason i considered using another system is because i thought it mustnt have been a good product as everyone i have told about it havent heard of it, saying that the people i have told havent been professionals either and where i live bio-sculpture seems to be becoming really popular! I have contacted my trainer, and am awaiting advice from her too. As i only did the class 6 months ago I can not afford to do another class at this time, and plan in the future to go and do the sallys course for all techniques but this is a while in the future as i have a 16 mth old baby and another due november so both time and money are crucial right now!! I love doin nails, but these problems are getting me down and making me seriously doubt myself. However i read on here that we all have troubleshootin sometimes and its just stickin with it so that was reassuring!!

Ok I have read that tutorial thanks... seems what I havent been doing which i will from now is strengthening the stress area... so i need to put a small layer over the free edge / nail tip join to stop from breaking easily. Still isnt the cause of lifting I shouldnt think, but going to concentrate on prepping at my next application which is tomorrow! And using the steriliser more often as i now realise this also helps to dehydrate the nail, altho i do use primer for this. Have got a few tings to concentrate on tomorrow, so not throwing in the towel just yet,will see how tomorrow goes!!!

It's a shame you think you are being picked on! You're really not.

Unfortunately, sometimes answers are not what you want to hear. One short course in 6 months is not really enough and this is showing in that you are still having major problems.

It's very difficult to give advice as the best advice is given while watching someone work. Virtually every one needs some 'troubleshooting' after a few months practising.

You are getting all the right answers but there isn't going to be one that suddenly puts all your problems right. If you are happy with your teacher why not find out how much a few hours of 1-2-1 training will be. That could be your answer?

I dont think i was expecting one quick reply, just a variety of possible answers to try out as i have an appointment tomoz. I did feel a little picked on to start with, and there were some condescending answers, but I have also had some kinder replies which have certainly helped ease my mind a little. I wasnt using cuticle remover, i was just taught to push back with a cuticle tool, and then when filing shine off nail ansure u have filed any left over bots of cuticle.... since my training however i have taken it upon myself to actually soak the hands before doing this in just a hand soak as the cuticle is much easier to push back then, and then do everything from preparation to application as trained... i dont think this should affect the nail adhesion tho? I am also going to concentrate on a small blob of base gel / powder where the nail tip is glued for extra strength, and apply a smaller amount over less of the nail of base gel and then apply top gel so it covers the base gel properly to seal... maybe this is where i have been going wrong as i know it isnt cos the gel is touching the skin - i am cautious of this!! Sure ill get there in the end...

I wasnt using cuticle remover, i was just taught to push back with a cuticle tool, and then when filing shine off nail ansure u have filed any left over bots of cuticle....
Doing a dry prep with a cuticle tool is ok providing there isn't a lot of cuticle on the nail, otherwise cuticle remover is a must. Removing the shine is normal and using a 240 grit in one direction (north to south) is enough to remove the shine. You should not have to 'file' the natural nail to remove left over cuticle, there shouldn't be any leftovers if you've removed it correctly :wink2:

since my training however i have taken it upon myself to actually soak the hands before doing this in just a hand soak as the cuticle is much easier to push back then, and then do everything from preparation to application as trained... i dont think this should affect the nail adhesion tho?
If you soak the nails prior to applying enhancements the chances are that the natural nails will expand by soaking up the water like a sponge, then after you've finished the enhancements the natural nails will gradually dry out and shrink away from the product you've applied.

I am also going to concentrate on a small blob of base gel / powder where the nail tip is glued for extra strength, and apply a smaller amount over less of the nail of base gel and then apply top gel so it covers the base gel properly to seal... maybe this is where i have been going wrong as i know it isnt cos the gel is touching the skin - i am cautious of this!! Sure ill get there in the end...
The apex (stress area) is in zone 2, if you press down the natural nail at the free edge you will see where that is as it will change colour and appear 'pale' until you release the pressure.
When applying your gel try it in a 'log' shape down the centre of the nail, leaving the bulk of the gel in the middle... tease the gel up towards the eponychium (nice and thin), out towards the sidewalls (again thinly) and down towards the free edge, remembering to run your brush along the free edge to ensure it's totally capped with gel. Capping will ensure no shrinkage, that is if you gel shrinks when applied.

Hope that helps a bit :green:

Last edited:
Isince my training however i have taken it upon myself to actually soak the hands before doing this in just a hand soak as the cuticle is much easier to push back then, and then do everything from preparation to application as trained... i dont think this should affect the nail adhesion tho? ?

Wrong , sorry Hun this is prob one of the main reasons that the nails are not adhering, this and that you wear not using a de-hydrater , nails are pours they can absorb water , by soaking them your really lucky that the nails didnt last!!!if they did last you could have been making the perfect breeding ground for infection,

Did you say that you wear not thought this you took it upon your self to do it? Didn't you also say that right after training the nails that you did stayed put for several weeks with no prob? So was it around the same time that you introduced soaking into your routen that you got the lifting?

I dont think i was expecting one quick reply, just a variety of possible answers to try out as i have an appointment tomoz. I did feel a little picked on to start with, and there were some condescending answers, but I have also had some kinder replies which have certainly helped ease my mind a little. I wasnt using cuticle remover, i was just taught to push back with a cuticle tool, and then when filing shine off nail ansure u have filed any left over bots of cuticle.... since my training however i have taken it upon myself to actually soak the hands before doing this in just a hand soak as the cuticle is much easier to push back then, and then do everything from preparation to application as trained... i dont think this should affect the nail adhesion tho? I am also going to concentrate on a small blob of base gel / powder where the nail tip is glued for extra strength, and apply a smaller amount over less of the nail of base gel and then apply top gel so it covers the base gel properly to seal... maybe this is where i have been going wrong as i know it isnt cos the gel is touching the skin - i am cautious of this!! Sure ill get there in the end...
if you are still having problems chick goonto you tube they have loads of demos on there have a look u may notice something on there that will help u on your way its worth a try chick good luck :)

OK i will stop the soaking and i dont remember when the lifting started, ill be honest it is only 10% of time that i get lifting, but i do get slightly tatty edges around the edges of the gel... i dont always soak either, just when cuticles r bad. As my tutor told me to just use a cuticle pusher to push them back, but i was findin that sometimes they wouldnt push easily and was havin to be a bit vigorous to actually get them back! If i use a cuticle remover, do i just ensure that i take this off with the gel cleanser? I have been using a dehydrater the whole time, primer, BUT i was skipping one lot of gel cleanser after the nail filing - i was using the gel cleanser on my hands and theirs at start of nails, then after applying 2 layers of base gel to remove residue then after 2 coats of top gel to remove the residue... but reading over le chat instructions they also advise to do this after nail prep before primer....
So am i right in thinking that u cant soak nails before an application? I did this an an extra and always do a hand massage after too.Using almond oil or grapeseed oil dependant on allergies etc.

So am i right in thinking that u cant soak nails before an application? I did this an an extra and always do a hand massage after too.Using almond oil or grapeseed oil dependant on allergies etc.
That's right... it's not advisable due to the swelling/shrinking of the natural nail :green:

Sandi U r a legend... i just had one of those light bulb moments lol. There r a few things i have picked up today, but the things i have realised in my head didnt seem enough to be causing the probs i hve mentioned. Of course, wot i have realised i will from now on correct myself, but i am now thinkin that def its the soaking. When i my friends nails the 1st time, and she has had her nails done a million times due to being in the industry, she said i was the best technician she had ever had, and her nails lasted 4 wks, and the only reason she then removed cos they were tatty as they hadnt been infilled (her choice). I always recommend infills every 2 wks (of course i know it can be 3, but this allows a wk if client ends up with an emergency or has to cancel etc). I never soak my nails, and they always last over a wk, and r solid when i remove them.Non of them fall off, i just get sick of having nails on as they annoy me (I have young kids n do lotsa housework too).A cpl times on myself i have had lifting on a nail or 2 on my left hand, but thats cos i get it on my skin cos i am right handed - think it def takes practice to do it on yaself!! lol. Again thank u sooo much

Just read that back - the 1st tiem i did her nails i didnt soak, but have since - the 2nd lot lasted 2.5 wks, and 3rd lot lasted a cpl days, one lifted at the tip (but this was the zebra tip i used and i already knew this would happen as id done these on myself and as u cant file the nail or pattern comes off they r def just a temporary nail), and 2 came off - she did own up that one of them were entirely her fault as she got drunk and was struggling to do her trousers up etc, and as she has them long anyway she caught it and it pinged off...as she was drunk she doesnt remember entireky wot happened, but the other nail was prob my fault as she noticed it on the floor when she was doing a clients hair (altho i must say i am suprised she didnt feel it come off as usually ppl who have said theyve come off after 3 days is due to catching and usually a bit painful BUT...)

Hay sweetie. i too have the lifting problem and i wish to add i have been doing my course since jan its not always down to the length of time you trained for........ once you pass ur driving test you can drive the yrs after simply mean you perfect your style!!!!! and i believe thats all it is... just trial an error in the begining with a little helpful advice from peers.

i do think some replies were a little harsh and i probs would have felt the same in your shoes. hence why i have took the time to post.

i tried lechat and did not get on with it... now trying akzentz and if honest its lifting too. mainly on the same client yet bio is just perfect for her. bare that in mind too hunni that 1 product company may not suit every client.

xoxo emillie

Latest posts

Back