PLEASE HELP! My hair keeps snapping! :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumblebee

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on what to with my hair! I'm at my wits end with it! I'll give you the history...

My hair is naturally dark mousey blonde, from the ages of 13-18 I had a half head of blonde highlights put into my hair, getting the roots touched up once every couple of months - this was fine, my hair was long and healthy. From the ages of 18-21 I started getting a full head of blonde highlights, till none of my natural colour was left at all. This is when the problems started. My hair began to snap off due to all the blonde in my hair, so I decided to have my hair cut (it was bra strap length) into a bob. My hairdresser then put a full head of bleach onto my hair, and continued this for about a year. My hair was then understandably a ball of fluff! I stopped getting the full head of bleach in favour of ordinary highlights, however my hair still wouldn't grow! I let my hair dry naturally every day, I use salon products (loreal vitamino colour shampoo) and I only straighten at the weekends! I exercise and have a good diet, when I look at my hair I can actually see the split ends and it's really distressing me!

The latest twist to the tale is that I've had my hair darkened using L'oreal Richesse Hazelnut Honey (think it was 6.23) I'm not a professional, but I thought this would maybe make my hair stronger and would perhaps giving me a chance of growing it?

I'd be most grateful if anyone could give me any tips or can see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!!!

Im not a pro. but Stop colouring/bleaching your poor hair, get to a hairdresser and give it some love.

Only a hairdresser whos seen your hair could really tell you what to do but Id guess it needs some kind of deep conditioning creme.

Like I said Im not a pro but Go see a trained hairdresser.

colouring your hair dark won't instantly make it in better condition. what will help about being dark is if you stay dark, your hair will be under less and less stress as the old blonde, damaged hair grows out. A penetrating conditioner will help, and explain to whichever stylist you go to see that your main priority is to get the condition back. Although you say you cut your hair shorter to help the condition, then doing a full head scalp bleach wouldn't have done it much favours. Go to a salon and they will be able to help you with which products to use and what colour to go for. But please do fork out that bit extra by getting it done professionally. Good luck!!! :)

Your poor hair just sounds over processed. Normally a full head of bleach would be ok IF it is done correctly and cared for correctly. Unfortunately going to a hairdressers doesn't always guarantee this, as far too many hairdressers are slap happy with bleach.

I would say get your hair cut as short as you dare, grow the colour out and start again. As said before the dark colour will not make your hair better condition only put more stress on your already stressed tresses!

first of all your hair is growing because you are still getting your regrowth done but your hair is so overprocessed it would be difficult to tint back and hold the colour (not sure if I would ?) and I agree with sophiticutz.. its past repair so start again . go as short as you can deal with .My message to my clients is that long hair is beautiful if you see it as an investment and treat it this way. buy the best treatment and conditioner (yes there is a difference ) and avoid heat and over shampooing .Eventually you will get your pretty hair back.But there's no fast fix as it is.It will take time..a long time but its worth it..and yes one more thing stay away from the bleach,,good luck

first of all your hair is growing because you are still getting your regrowth done but your hair is so overprocessed it would be difficult to tint back and hold the colour (not sure if I would ?) and I agree with sophiticutz.. its past repair so start again . go as short as you can deal with .My message to my clients is that long hair is beautiful if you see it as an investment and treat it this way. buy the best treatment and conditioner (yes there is a difference ) and avoid heat and over shampooing .Eventually you will get your pretty hair back.But there's no fast fix as it is.It will take time..a long time but its worth it..and yes one more thing stay away from the bleach,,good luck

This is probably a really thick qyestion but i'm also in this postition and now have gone back to dark a wee while ago. My hair is in better condition but not good condition. Can i ask what you mean by over shampooing?? thats prob really dumb question but just wondered. thanks x

I totally agree with the previous comments and would add that using products that are as natural as possible will help too. There's so much stuff about pro- this and nutri- that in advertising that it's easy to forget that s'poo is just a detergent base with added stuff to smell nice. You need to use the best treatments you can afford REGULARLY and leave them on, wrap your head in foil and if you can, add heat (gently).:eek:

Always keep the dryer AT LEAST 3 inches away from your hair and go easy with any products containing alchohol (on your hair at least) as they will dehydrate it. Get the balance of protein, moisture, carbohydrate and pH right and you may just retrieve it. Oh, and maybe use a conditioner with a pigment in it rather than chemically colouring your hair.

One last thing...change your hairdresser if it's still the one that did the full head bleach. I would question the wisdom of a full head bleach after what your hair had already been through...:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am having the same problem :( i only have my regrowth coloured and my hair keeps snapping off. Trouble is, i like being blonde and i dont want to go dark. I always use heat protection when blowdrying and straightening (although i hardly straighten my hair anymore) I just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to make it stronger.

youve alredy found the ansswer to your question - you either need to go longer between colouring appointments or choose less damaging colours and straighten your hair less ,never go swimming and wear a hat in the sun! sorry there is no quick fix- most long blonde hair you see is probably either extensions or has been done professionally and loaded with products . It will take time , and even going darker and using serum aint going to undo the years of damage on the ends

Latest posts

Back