Please tell me it's not just me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo@tranquil

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed things quieter now school holidays are here ?
I seem to have gone from being solid back to back 10 hour days to gaps.
I think I am panicking a little too because I have just employed someone part time and I am struggling to get clients booked in for her, I guess my gaps are where I have put some of my regulars with my new therapist.
How do you get girls to fill time when cleaning, stock checks etc are done ??

I am about to move premises in September too, bigger place . My head is a spin in a bit of a stress !

Cleaning is never finished, re do it all.
Or use time where you are both free for training and expansion ideas. Go through customer service as role play, be a bad client then a good one and switch over. Brain storm how you can improve your treatments, try them out on each other. Bring up ideas on unique ways to market your new salon xoxo

I disagree, cleaning for cleanings sake is VERY demotivating.

Why not get them out doing some promo?

Give them some flyers and send them out for a half hour to visit local buinesses and introduce themselves, the business and a flyer - perhaps with a limited time discount offer if any of the business staff book an appointment within the next 2 weeks :)

Yes it has gone a bit quiet. Ive just moved into a beauty room too, so hoping that my advertising and still doing some mobile will bring in my normal money.
I have regular clients so those that cant come in because of children at home, I am going to them instead. I want people to come to me though otherwise I am renting this room for nothing.
Gaining some clients from the salon though, so not too worried yet.

This is where being "child friendly" really does have its benifits. Mums have to find childcare to go get hair and beauty treatments done, and thats just escalating costs for them, so they choose to sacrifice the treatment.
How do you feel about kids in salon?
Could you do an offer with your assistant for every mummy that spends £40 on treatments (just a figure I plucked from the air!!) they could bring their daughter in for a free nail paint done by your assistant?
T
just a thought, better than doing nowt.....
xxxx

Thanks for your ideas ladies !
Our gaps don't seem to match up very well I am usually to full capacity hence employing someone, some of my regulars have been good and said they don't mind seeing the new therapist others won't even think about it !
JoJo I don't mind the odd well behaved child coming in for a quick treatment with its mum, but it's not ideal in the salon I am in at the moment as its quite small.
However when I move premises there is a nursery school very near, and we are talking about offering a crèche service for mums to drop off , so that will be useful.
I think some leaflets could be delivered this week, great idea lilmissemmylou !

Hopefully the phone will ring this week !
Mind you last week was the quietest I have had for a long time and we still took £800.

Yep its gone quiet for me too ,but enjoying the me time :):wink2:

Me too. Very very quiet although I'm enjoying the peace of not rushing around when my kids are off.

I'm wondering if August is likely to be the same as am considering an offer. Is anyone else thinking of doing this?

Cleaning is never finished, re do it all.
Or use time where you are both free for training and expansion ideas. Go through customer service as role play, be a bad client then a good one and switch over. Brain storm how you can improve your treatments, try them out on each other. Bring up ideas on unique ways to market your new salon xoxo

Really good ideas :hug:

I disagree, cleaning for cleanings sake is VERY demotivating.

Why not get them out doing some promo?

Give them some flyers and send them out for a half hour to visit local buinesses and introduce themselves, the business and a flyer - perhaps with a limited time discount offer if any of the business staff book an appointment within the next 2 weeks :)

Also really good ideas, that should get some through the doors, the only thing is some people hate direct sales or cold calling, they get all shy and tongue tied. Use your bubbliest outgoing people for this ( also keep a watch on what they are doing if you can) It is all too easy to end up at MacDonalds or Starbucks. Or do that bit of shopping while they are out. If they do tell them to hand out leaflets to all the other customers. LOL

I blame the Olympics, the school holidays and once again the weather. When it is rainy it gets quiet, when the sun comes out everyone is off to the beach or sunbathing so it gets quiet.

Oh dear, the joys of being self employed......

Last edited:
If your client profile is mums with school-age children, how about an offer to your regulars for evening appointments, maybe regular prices but with some snacks and a glass of bubbly. Right now they may feel they deserve a treat!

yes it does seem quieter but hey enjoy it it will be all down hill to xmas soon enough.

Glad it's not just me! Usually stacked out this time of year, and on hols soon, so a bit panicky! Looks busy for when I get back tho! Planning a leaflet drop again early Sept just as the kids go back - usually a good time!

You will probably find by September when all the kids go back to school and you move to a bigger premises; You will get busy and everything will fall back into place.

As said above, make the most of your quiet time getting admin etc done. Make sure you are prepared for the move :) And a great August deal would be good too. I'm going to do a "summer cooler" deal...Something like a cooling eye treatment and/or body wrap or something along those lines.

Good luck to you.
xxx

Im in scotland, part time in a salon, part time mobile, fairly new to the salon but the other 2 stylists are normally fully booked everyday and they have said last week and this week is the quietest they have ever been, also my mobile this week is brutally quiet, ive even sent out a promotion txt to try fill up my week, i have managed to get 2 clients from that normally get more of a response, think everyone is away on holiday!

I have put it down to everyone either on holiday or watching the Olympics, or I have noticed a few of my older ladies have moved appointments or can't come because they are babysitting kids on holidays !
Next week is looking better....

I've been quiet too!! My parents are concerned about it but to be honest, I expected it over the summer hols.

It's more difficult to find time around work and little'uns... And if they do want some time out, who will look after the kids?

Families go on holidays with the children.

Not as much money to spend as got to find activities to do with their kids (which we all know isn't always cheap!)

I reckon it will pick up again in September. I know some of my ladies are exhausted and will feel like they need pampering when their darlings go back to school.

Xxx

Hey guys I know I've already replied but it's abnormally quiet for me this year! Never has july been like this I've been self employed since 2008 and never like this? How is anyone comparing it to past few years!? Did I just get lucky the summers before as I was packed out all summer long! X

i have gone a little bit quieter the last couple of weeks but i am actually enjoying the break. Gives me a chance to re-charge and means i have space to fit all my ladies in around my holidays... then it wont be long before the run up to christmas starts!!

Latest posts

Back