Poaching staff-clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charly

Reaction score
Hi I am having a nightmare at my salon at the moment, and hoped that someone could offer me some help and advice, this might go on a bit!!!
I came to work on friday to be told by a staff member who was on her first day back after mat leave that she had been offered another job in a salon in town, on a part time basis working a few days there and a few days at my salon...she was told that she would be on self employed basis on a 40/60 split.
I told her that i was going to take them self employed at the new financial on a 45/55 split, which was my intention from the start, i hadn't had the chance to talk to her before this date as she had been on leave. I then get to work today to find out the same has happened to another of my staff approached by the same salon with an offer of work!!! This salon had approached another member of my staff a couple of months ago and she's at it again.. At this point I am pissed off as you can imagine, 3 off my staff approached by the same salon, if they go and take some customers it could ruin my salon, what if anything can i do?

C'est la vie. It stinks but I guess it happens. Have you had your staff sign an exclusion contract?
Is there a rule that says that you can't contact your mat leave staff whilst on leave about fairly important changes to her working arrangements?

Nasty nasty. Salon owners generally don't behave like that but I have been on the receiving end of things like that too. It probably feels like the end of the world right now.
My advice ? let them go. The quicker the better so they don't tell clients where they are going.
Staff leaving is ALWAYS an opportunity to get fresh new faces who are pleased for a job. If somebody is up for being poached they are not loyal to you or your salon. There are people out there (especially at the moment) who will be glad of the break and will serve your salon and clients well.

No not at all, however i cannot force this change but would like to do it, i have only just spoken to my other girls about this all within the last week she just happens to be the last member of staff to whom i have spoken.
Yes there is an exclusivity clause.
Can't i phone up said salon and give her a piece of my mind or would this be inappropriate?
I also understand that sometimes there are changes in your business that force your hand to make further changes to stay above water.
I can't believe she has had a go at all bar 1 of my staff, just RUDE and BAD PRACTICE.

You are right of course. Thank you, for you vote of support.x

Managing staff is a nightmare!
Not sure what you would gain by phoning her, apart from the lovely feeling of venting, and one step closer to an ulcer.
As Persianista says, let them go, put them on gardening leave right now.
Bad business.

To be honest, poaching other salon's staff is a real no no. You end up with every salon in the area hating your guts. I knew a spa owner who seemed to have this policy. She tried it with one of my stylists who didnt take her up on it. That spa is now gone.
If as a salon owner you have to resort to underhand and unethical practices to run a business then my experience is that these people treat their new staff in an unethical and underhand way. Would you want to work for a sneaky so and so?
They think they are being clever, but really they are not.
It is important that your staff regard you as someone with integrity and honesty. Not as someone sly and sneaky.

OH MY WORD... How nasty!!! I would defo say that you should let them go, get new staff, have them sign a contract before they start work, keeping you wright. If your customers already pick your salon over this other salon, then they are obviously more than happy with the service you provide. Try not to wory too much. Hope everything works out for the best hun... Keep us posted... xxx

And here I am worrying that somebody has come to me from another local salon....Feel like I am being deceitful... No that is inappropriate to put it politely...if you can't trust your staff to be loyal then as persianista said out with the old and in with the new... meant in thenicest possible way!....I really hope everything works out for you...:hug:

People move jobs for all sorts of reasons. What we are talking about is actively poaching staff. If a stylist came to me for a job, fine.
Would I sneak into another salon and poach, no.

hiya, thank you for your comments, since posting earlier one of my girls phoned me and I told her she couldn't do both jobs, one or the other. The temptation or lure has been more hours/ more money, but i am not sure she can deliver on her promise, but hey thats not my problem.
I am a little salon and i have worked hard to build my reputation and clients. I have put the girls on courses given them hours when i haven't really had them to give given time off, subs you name it iv'e bent over backwards to make them welcome and enjoy there jobs, but it looks like my management style has been all wrong. Hard lesson to learn eh!!

Doormat!!

hiya, thank you for your comments, since posting earlier one of my girls phoned me and I told her she couldn't do both jobs, one or the other. The temptation or lure has been more hours/ more money, but i am not sure she can deliver on her promise, but hey thats not my problem.
I am a little salon and i have worked hard to build my reputation and clients. I have put the girls on courses given them hours when i haven't really had them to give given time off, subs you name it iv'e bent over backwards to make them welcome and enjoy there jobs, but it looks like my management style has been all wrong. Hard lesson to learn eh!!

Doormat!!

I say let them go too!!! You sound like you've been a lovely boss, but people always think the grass is greener on the other side..... let them see its a murky shade of brown :lol: they'll probably come crawling back soon :hug:

NOW do you all understand why I became a hard nosed ratbag??
As a salon owner we all start off being kind, understanding and trying our best to keep our staff happy.
Stuff like this happens and gradually it dawns that we are no better thought of than any other salon owner.
Charly, these kind of things will happen to you over the years. Don't take it personally, just remember that your staff are never your friends. x

Thats just really bad business practice.Maybe they'll regret their choice later.U sound like a really nice boss i doubt their new one will be as nice as u.Hope u find some replacement staff soon.

You wrote:
"I am a little salon and i have worked hard to build my reputation and clients. I have put the girls on courses given them hours when i haven't really had them to give given time off, subs you name it iv'e bent over backwards to make them welcome and enjoy there jobs, but it looks like my management style has been all wrong. Hard lesson to learn eh!! "

Don't become hardened because of this experience.

The first salon I worked in, I busted my hump for my boss. I took all of her personal attacks and insistance that I was a complete idiot if I didn't learn everything the FIRST time it was shown to me, and so forth (I was apprenticed at the time). After ten months of working for her, and creating such clientele that we were booked three to four weeks in advance, my husband told me he wanted a divorce. At the tender age of 21 I was wrecked. I asked for two days off work and she refused to let me. So I went to my doctor to get sleeping tablets, and he gave me ten days off work and put me on antidepressants. She fired me while I was on sick leave, making up a reason that I was able to disprove, but I just couldn't stand to work for her any more!

I've since worked other places, but I've learned that being a good nail tech and being a good person don't come hand-in-hand (as some of your employees and other salon owners are showing you!)

My husband and I worked things out, and seven years on we have two gorgeous children, I'm still a nail tech - the best in my area. I'm not working at the moment (maternity leave) but when I go back to work, I won't be taking anybody's crap, and you shouldn't either!

When you have worked hard to create a good balance between customer service, nail service quality and affordable prices, no-one has the right to take that from you.

Continue as you are - making clients happy with great services. It's been my experience that people end up getting what they deserve. My old boss has sold herself out - her business is now called "(business name)'s Budget Busters". She does fast, cheap dodgy work. She's only still in business because her ex-husbands maintenance payments are enough to keep the business open. Let's see how long that lasts after I go back to work!

All the best.

Sonia is right, the salon is a success because of YOU. Staff will come and go, You are the constant, and the one who sets the standards. Losing some staff doesn't ruin a business, only poor judgement and bad decisions can do that.

Don't become hardened because of this experience.

I think you do have to become a bit harder, more savvy, certainly.
It's not for nothing that there is an expression "you have no friends in business"
People will take advantage and if you want to remain in business you need to develop strategies to guard against it.

ooh Lyn, you're starting to sound like me!!!!!! Careful now!!!!!!!!!!!! xx

Of course, I don't mean that you shouldn't learn from this, as it's true that business and pleasure shouldn't mix; but there are enough nasty, bitter salon owners out there that I'd hate to see you become one of them!

At the end of the day, it IS you that has made your business what it is, and if your staff lack the integrity to stand by you and be loyal to you, they'll only carry that on to their new work place.

Its been a real confidence booster to hear all your comments, I know my path now and will keep on it. The showdown will be tomorrow as both members of staff are in and I will have it done and dusted by tomorrow night so i'll keep you posted, but yes you are right if they go they will hand in their key there and then, i am taking no chances and will protect MY shop.

Latest posts

Back