Polish after enhancements,do you charge extra?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
In our price list ,in our nail enhancements section we list that all our enhancements are followed by a polish of the customers chosen colour.

I would like to know if you charge extra,i.e be it an infill or new set,for polish?

On Thursday,I had an American lady come to me,(new client) for infills.She also wanted a french polish.

She assumed this would be free,because of what was written in the price list.

I didn't have the time to carry out the polish as I was short on time,so the lady came back a couple of hours later for this.At no extra charge.

She came in Friday with my boss for a pedi,and complained that she had dented her polish could she have it redone.My boss said yes and has booked her in next week.

I asked if she was to pay,(I would have charged her,but hey! it's not my business)My boss said the lady had asked if it were to be complimentary and my boss said "yes":eek:

I told her we need to restructure our price list as I personally think,ok for a polish if new set of enhancements but not for an infill.What do you guys think?

This client has taken the p.She has had an infill,a french manicure,that she insisted on having 2 coats of white on,(even more time) and a re-polish.All for £20.00

My worry is also that if she has any problems with her infills(God forbid)she will expect me to sort that out as well.

Have to add,that her polish was perfect when she left the shop,I gave her 3 goes under the dryer which totals 12 minutes.
:irked:

P.s I told her about having a little sign on your desk saying that once you leave the salon if a client smudges her polish she will be charged for it and she agreed it would be a good idea,not sure if anything will happen about that though.

She certainly is taking the pee, and once you give one freebie they will probably expect it all the time. Always state in times like this that it's not your resposibility once they have left the salon, but as a gesture of good will you will do it this time ONLY. They then know to be careful in future, and you won't have upset them and keep them happy. You both know exactly where you stand. I would write it on the rocord card too so that your boss knows the score so they can't try it on if you're not there.

I always charge £5 extra for a polish. After all not everyone has it and they are then in effect paying for something they've not had.

She certainly is taking the pee, and once you give one freebie they will probably expect it all the time. Always state in times like this that it's not your resposibility once they have left the salon, but as a gesture of good will you will do it this time ONLY. They then know to be careful in future, and you won't have upset them and keep them happy. You both know exactly where you stand. I would write it on the rocord card too so that your boss knows the score so they can't try it on if you're not there.

I always charge £5 extra for a polish. After all not everyone has it and they are then in effect paying for something they've not had.
The lady dosn't live here,she's on her holiday for another 3 weeks I think she said.She was saying about coming back in 2 weeks for her next infills.Dosn't like appointments though so is going to come in on the off chance.

Will go on her card though,she comes over to England every 2 years so it will be a warning for next time she comes over.

You're right about the paint job,price lists never got changed from the previous owner and it's a pain.

I think this client thinks she can just saunter in off the street and be attended to as she wishes. Definitely taking the pee in my opinion!

I take it she had an infill on a natural nail overlay? Am I correct? She then asked for a French polish on an NNO? If this is correct then I would have charged her the same as for a french enhancement. You are still giving of your professional time, using professional products and equipment and the extra skill required for the French finish.

I think this client thinks she can just saunter in off the street and be attended to as she wishes. Definitely taking the pee in my opinion!

I take it she had an infill on a natural nail overlay? Am I correct? She then asked for a French polish on an NNO? If this is correct then I would have charged her the same as for a french enhancement. You are still giving of your professional time, using professional products and equipment and the extra skill required for the French finish.

It wasn't a NNO,it was enhancements,with tips.All I did was an infill,thinned down product and took down the length, but she wanted a french polish over the finished enhancements.

All she was booked in for was an infill,not a french polish over the top.Trouble is I think our brochure is a bit misleading as it says,polish included with all enhancements.

I will add though she didn't read the brochure so wouldn't have been aware of this.She maintained over in the States that they always carry out the French after her maintenance treatments.Wonder if they charge extra for this.

i did give polish included but wish i'd charged extra from the beginning. Only ever had a couple of ladies who had pink enhancements with polish to finish but it takes just as long as you are sitting waiting for the polish to dry, then they get up and smudge them! :irked:

I would say that if it is stated on the pricelist that polish is included then you cant say she has to pay extra for it. Maybe put french polish extra or something? Think she was definately taking the P though, and why is the salon owner giving freebies anyway?? do you think she was a bit intimidated by her or something?

Well from your previous info about ths client Babs I would assume she's been to an NSS in the States and there they airbrush the French on which is mega quick.

i did give polish included but wish i'd charged extra from the beginning. Only ever had a couple of ladies who had pink enhancements with polish to finish but it takes just as long as you are sitting waiting for the polish to dry, then they get up and smudge them! :irked:

I would say that if it is stated on the pricelist that polish is included then you cant say she has to pay extra for it. Maybe put french polish extra or something? Think she was definately taking the P though, and why is the salon owner giving freebies anyway?? do you think she was a bit intimidated by her or something?
No she wasn't intimidated by the client,she's just too nice.

Well from your previous info about ths client Babs I would assume she's been to an NSS in the States and there they airbrush the French on which is mega quick.
I asked her if her polish was airbrushed on and she said no.TBH though,I would say it was airbrushed onto the nails.They were too perfect and you could just tell.

Like you said air brushing mega quick and its dried as well.She was in the salon for ages.Cant believe I have her coming back next week.

Got something I will add which is quite funny actually.

When she came in I asked her if she wanted a coffee(once I had done all the filing)She said yes,but wanted it really milky.We dont have a fridge so have powdered milk.

Anyway,when her treatments finished,her coffee is still sat on the desk,virtually untouched.I asked her if she wanted it and she said no,she dosn't like powdered milk.

Next day she comes into salon for her pedi with my boss.
The day after I said to my boss,I bet she didn't have a coffee.My boss said no,but she said she would have a glass of water,without ICE:eek: LMAO
She knew we didn't have a fridge,as I told her that's why we used powdered milk.Do you think she's being sarky here?:) Made me smile though,maybe she wanted a whisky added to the water,LOL

It wasn't a NNO,it was enhancements,with tips.All I did was an infill,thinned down product and took down the length, but she wanted a french polish over the finished enhancements.

All she was booked in for was an infill,not a french polish over the top.Trouble is I think our brochure is a bit misleading as it says,polish included with all enhancements.

I will add though she didn't read the brochure so wouldn't have been aware of this.She maintained over in the States that they always carry out the French after her maintenance treatments.Wonder if they charge extra for this.
Thanks BABS, I still would have charged extra for the polish, at least £5 over and above the charge for the infill.

Just me but why do a french polish over enhancements when you can just do a forever french rebalance instead? I know for me it would be quicker and a better finish than doing an infill, putting french polish on then drying for 12 mins!?

Just me but why do a french polish over enhancements when you can just do a forever french rebalance instead? I know for me it would be quicker and a better finish than doing an infill, putting french polish on then drying for 12 mins!?

The reason being was this is what the client wanted.She had clear nails on already,so without taking them off and redoing them it wouldn't be possible to do pink and white maintenance.

She is not my regular client,indeed this was the first time I did her.She had been having clear enhancements for over 12 years.This was her choice.

I suggested that maybe she have pink and whites,forever french,but she didn't want that.What a client wants a client gets.:)

i have on my pricelist three pound extra for french and 2omin extra time as well polish included in all treatments but im more expensive than most nd this is incorporated into the treatment

I charge for polish......no matter if it's a french or not......if they are having a service the polish is included in the price......if they just walk in off the street and want polish I charge.....If she dinged them once out the door.......not your problem! I have to signs all over my salon.....in specified places.....at my station I have my price list and a sign that states....$1.00 a ding! .......by the door.....Nails not guarenteed passed this point! .......and another in my bathroom about my septic tank......my clients are not mentally retarded.....but! do need reminded about things....

I'd do as your boss had promised her .....this time......but make it clear to the client that when she comes in for the fill next time there will be a charge.....you can tell her there was a misunderstanding when she came in the last time ....hence the freebie for the polish she is getting......but the fill and polish" next time " will be the correct price for services renderd.......she will either accept this or she won't......

I charge for polish......no matter if it's a french or not......if they are having a service the polish is included in the price......if they just walk in off the street and want polish I charge.....If she dinged them once out the door.......not your problem! I have to signs all over my salon.....in specified places.....at my station I have my price list and a sign that states....$1.00 a ding! .......by the door.....Nails not guarenteed passed this point! .......and another in my bathroom about my septic tank......my clients are not mentally retarded.....but! do need reminded about things....

I'd do as your boss had promised her .....this time......but make it clear to the client that when she comes in for the fill next time there will be a charge.....you can tell her there was a misunderstanding when she came in the last time ....hence the freebie for the polish she is getting......but the fill and polish" next time " will be the correct price for services renderd.......she will either accept this or she won't......
Think your so right Melissa.Dreading her coming back to be honest.What if she dings them again.?:eek: :grr:

Think your so right Melissa.Dreading her coming back to be honest.What if she dings them again.?:eek: :grr:

As she leaves remind her what she does OUTSIDE of the salon doors is her responsibility and if she dings them again......she will have to pay for the damage ....(in the amount of ...$.... whatever you charge for a polish change.....) don't let her walk on you!!!:hug:

As she leaves remind her what she does OUTSIDE of the salon doors is her responsibility and if she dings them again......she will have to pay for the damage ....(in the amount of ...$.... whatever you charge for a polish change.....) don't let her walk on you!!!:hug:
Will do,but have to ok it with boss first.After all,its her business not mine.:) If it were mine,well.....things would be very different,lets put it that way:)

Latest posts

Back