Politics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always voted- even watched the TV coverage of the last election till the following morning, I was that interested in it all. I've also voted because i believe as women haven't always been allowed to vote, I should vote. But however this is the first time in my life I've questioned myself. My reason being is that I don't think any of the parties are truly fit to run the country or run it for the benefit of the people. I don't believe they listen to anyone and that includes all parties.

What I will say is I think it doesn't matter what party is in charge, running this country and turning the economic times round is a bit like how longs a piece of string. They can't please everyone and yes I do believe the government to a degree is run by the banks etc.

With regards to Europe, I don't know. I don't think that we as a nation share the same ideals or run our country in the same way as other European countries but I do think it could leave us very open being on our own.

With regards to immigration, I blame the government and Europe for allowing our country for being so over populated but I completely understand families wishing for a better life for their family, which some believe is in the UK. I think they are hoodwinked just as much as we are. Blame the authorities not the immigrants.

I think the BNP should be banned, i'm all for freedom of speech but these abhorrent individuals that try to hide behind cleverly written policies and beliefs (just check out their website) are just racists pure and simple.

As with all benefits systems I think it will take something huge to ever address the problems, however don't rely on our countries so called journalists to get 'facts' about whether the system is actually screwing everyone over, like they say they are.

I believe we should have people representing us from all walks off life- I believe having the majority coming from a wealthy background doesn't represent all demographics. There needs to be politicians from all social standings, which includes your everyday joe public as I think some politicians make decisions for people they know nothing about and will never know either. The problem is for the most part to be in politics, to become a politician you need to have money...

That's my thoughts anyway :) x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

I'll keep it short ,

get out of the eu ,

stop the immigrants unless we need them ,

Stop giving money to other countrys when our own is on its arse, ( the world is massively over populated so instead of save the children how about not having kids you cant afford to feed ).

And the benefits system it a disaster ,speaking from personal experience the first time I would have claimed any benefit was when I had cancer in 2011 and was told that cancer is not classed as a long term illness so all you will get is esa the same as unemployed person which at the time was about 60 something pound a week ,but someone with an addiction will get more because its is long term (if that is not a piss take I don't know what is ) needless to say I told them where to put there benefit and worked 4 days a week whilst in hospital 2 days a week getting chemotherapy,

Also scottish put think we need to stick together a least until I pay off my mortgage lol :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I'm sorry about your experience it can all seem rather unjust and unfair at times however I resent the "we don't need em" comment.
As the great granddaughter of a polish immigrant and the great great granddaughter of a Spanish immigrant. I think that you need to google real statistics on the percentage of immigrants on benefits and maybe investigate your family tree. You may not be as "British" as you thing ;)

Did we all know that only 3% of the UKs spend goes on unemployment benifits?

I think the BNP should be banned, i'm all for freedom of speech but these abhorrent individuals that try to hide behind cleverly written policies and beliefs (just check out their website) are just racists pure and simple.

I completely understand where you are coming from with this comment, and I agree that the BNP are a bunch of racist bigots, but I dont agree that they should be banned. I think its so important to uphold democracy, and a part of democracy is allowing people to hold and express their political views freely. When we start censoring people we start chipping away at a free society and we are on the slippery slope towards a dictatorship. I know that sounds extreme but its true, and its small things like this that are the start of it. I would much rather that people had the freedom to express racist and prejudiced views than start banning people from expressing opinions that are not considered to be acceptable.

I hear you hun, but racism isn't 'considered' as unacceptable, it is unacceptable, period.

My sister in law was going to vote bnp recently, ended up voting lib dem in the end as she's a uni student. However she was originally going to vote for them as she had a problem with immigration. You know what had to be pointed out to her? Her brother, my husband is british/Egyptian, her nephew my son the same. Bnp policies want born and bred british citizens in this country, that wouldn't include my son and husband. She didn't get it to begin with, they were born in England she said so they'd be ok. I told her to look up their website.

The problem is, and I know this scenario is not quite what you were saying, having parties exist that hide behind cleverly worded policies are dangerous.

Freedom of speech/living in a democracy shouldn't mean you have the right to speak of your hatred of others, I can't respect others opinions for hating someone because of the colour of their skin or where they come from. We teach children from a young age that racism isn't acceptable, yet we allow parties to exist that are that very thing.
Hugs honey x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Interesting thread!

I would say my political persuasions pretty much match Maggie Thatchers when she said there is no such thing as society. I LOVED the idea of the poll tax too. I loved that council tenants had a right to buy and I loved that clever kids got free university placements.

If there was a Tory like Maggie in the running I would vote for her! She helped those who wanted to be helped in my opinion and said bugger off to the scroungers and Luddites.

I'm sorry about your experience it can all seem rather unjust and unfair at times however I resent the "we don't need em" comment.
As the great granddaughter of a polish immigrant and the great great granddaughter of a Spanish immigrant. I think that you need to google real statistics on the percentage of immigrants on benefits and maybe investigate your family tree. You may not be as "British" as you thing ;)

I said unless we need them ,not we dont need them ,meaning like Australia if you don't have a trade or qualification that they are looking for then your not getting in !

I'm a natural born southern Tory. However, I'm disappointed in the current lot. They seem to have no ideologies, just tinkering around the edges.
I am starting to believe the theory that the country is run by shady financiers, and the government of the day just do their bidding.
Even as a Tory, some of their economic policy appears bonkers. I only have A level economics, and I feel I have more clue than mr Osborne.

Read a book called nightrise by Anthony Horowitz, its a children's story and fiction, but is quite on the mark with today's government and what you say about outsiders dictating xoxo

I said unless we need them ,not we dont need them ,meaning like Australia if you don't have a trade or qualification that they are looking for then your not getting in !

My freind is half Indian. His dad came here in the 80s as a fully qualified dentist however his qualification wasn't valid in the uk so he worked the taxis, when back to university and funded his own way toward becoming an NHS dentist, don't get many of those per pound now do you? British dentists who will work for the Nhs?
By your standards he wouldn't have been allowed to enter this country.
My great grandad didn't have a trade, he was escaping the Spanish civil war and as for my polish family they came here to escape the holecaust..

Saying family tree's I traced mine back last night to the 1500's where we were the main land owners of a town xoxo

Saying family tree's I traced mine back last night to the 1500's where we were the main land owners of a town xoxo

I'm 82nd in line to a welsh castle that no longer exsists!

Completely disagree with the BNP being racist, it's just all about looking after our own people rather than every other countries! There are some of there views I disagree with but in terms of immigration etc I just think they should be given a chance, we've had labour who are useless, conservatives not to bad but still useless. In my opinion There is no freedom of speech in this country! If your against immigration like the BNP you'll only be branded a racist!

Completely disagree with the BNP being racist, it's just all about looking after our own people rather than every other countries! There are some of there views I disagree with but in terms of immigration etc I just think they should be given a chance, we've had labour who are useless, conservatives not to bad but still useless. In my opinion There is no freedom of speech in this country! If your against immigration like the BNP you'll only be branded a racist!

I understand your view to some extent, the BNP do have some policies that I agree with, and I partially agree with their stance on immigration. It's not their views on immigration that makes them racist, its the fact that non white people who are British, who were born and bred in this country and do not know any other culture would be "invited" to leave this country by the BNP. They do not allow anyone to join their party who is not white, and that makes them racist. They judge people purely by the colour of their skin, and whilst they do have some reasonable policies, it's still a fact that they are racist.

Well both my grandparents served the british army in india and around the world through Royal air force etc they got offered to come over to england, before the war and after the independence. Doesn that make them invaders when they've been asked. No.... they've served the BRITISH army. They are every right as british as the gurkhas. Alot of commonwealth countries have been offered this, im a third generation thats got family that has been living here for over 50 years.

The BNP party is massive on immigration, but they are pinpointing miniorites that they assume have no right here. It angers me when ive got polish clients that are skilled tradepeople- they get ironic racisim from predomiately white BNP people.

My view on intergration is that it is very important, yes there are some pockets in the country where they keep themselves to themselves. This is most definatly not helping their cases, however there is alot of people from other countries that have come here and embraced a lifestyle that can be considered british. Theres also a lot of ex pats and people from britain moved to other countries for better sunshines, culture, food etc. Imagine, if they were told to get lost like how they did in zimbabwe- everybody was outraged. Same applies no one is better.

You know the new british question for citizenship, is great. If you take the sample test they just released you'll know how much british history, you have to know to become a citizen! a 75% pass rate is essential! xoxo

I'm not saying they should boot people out, just that they shouldn't let anymore in. Also people from here who go live in Spain etc...Don't get benefits or anything so they have not harming the economy. x

My freind is half Indian. His dad came here in the 80s as a fully qualified dentist however his qualification wasn't valid in the uk so he worked the taxis, when back to university and funded his own way toward becoming an NHS dentist, don't get many of those per pound now do you? British dentists who will work for the Nhs?
By your standards he wouldn't have been allowed to enter this country.
My great grandad didn't have a trade, he was escaping the Spanish civil war and as for my polish family they came here to escape the holecaust..

Not talking about the past ,talking about now and if someone has a valid reason to be here that is fine ,not sure why you picked out my comment as im not only one how thinks like this !!

Latest posts

Back