Poor nails after removing extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if they too get very poor looking nails when you soak off?

I have recently soaked my own off, and a clients and they are terribly brittle afterwards and within a couple of days all broken or heading that way.

Am i doing something wrong?

My own nails i used a soak off bowl with heated water underneath..my clients I foil wrapped with cotton wool in acetone.

Thanks

Ambx

When I soak my/clients nails off, yes they do feel fragile and brittle. However, I reduce most of the length and rub plenty of Solar Balm and Solar Oil into them. Remove surplus oil with Scrubfresh and apply 2 coats of Toughen Up.......try to retail this product to client as it is fab used alongside Solar Oil.

Remember your nails will always feel different to how they were when they had product on them.

Adele

Just a thought....does the heat make any differance..! I place a soaked pad on the nail then wrap in foil, i havent heard of using hot water?
Vicky x
MINKUS said:
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if they too get very poor looking nails when you soak off?

I have recently soaked my own off, and a clients and they are terribly brittle afterwards and within a couple of days all broken or heading that way.

Am i doing something wrong?

My own nails i used a soak off bowl with heated water underneath..my clients I foil wrapped with cotton wool in acetone.

Thanks

Ambx

I read in Elaine Almond's book that you can add baby oil to your acetone when doing a soak off to avoid excessively drying out the skin around the nails. I know this wouldn't affect the condition of the nails, but has anyone tried doing this, or is it a bit out-of-date or an old wive's tale?
Lol x

we were taught at college to put a couple of drops of cuticle oil in the acetone to prevent surrounding skin from drying out

donna-louise

donna-louise said:
we were taught at college to put a couple of drops of cuticle oil in the acetone to prevent surrounding skin from drying out

donna-louise
i think it helps slightly as the oil floats on the surface and as the hands are removed from the acetone it will cling to the skin. it doesnt actually prevent dehydration though. i find it more effective to have the client generously coat their hands with a really rich cream, [i use a heel balm] before soaking and this prevents a lot of the dehydration by acting as a barrier.

bimbogeri said:
I read in Elaine Almond's book that you can add baby oil to your acetone when doing a soak off to avoid excessively drying out the skin around the nails. I know this wouldn't affect the condition of the nails, but has anyone tried doing this, or is it a bit out-of-date or an old wive's tale?
Lol x
other than the fact that Baby Oil is a petroleum based oil so it wouldn't really make a blind bit of difference!! You need NATURAL oils that penetrate NOT petroleum based oils that sit on the top of your nails or skin! HTH's

I always reduce the length and give a hand and arm massage to stimulate lymph and blood flow and drench with solar oil or an alternative and a good nail strenghthener eg: toughen up. I retail these aswell and tell the client to use the oil at least 5 times a day (i say 5 times, then the client usually remembers twice, if you get what i mean, if i say use once they might not use at all after a couple of days)

I have never really had the problem of dry brittle nails on my own, but then again i use buckets of cuticle oil:biggrin:

Amanda

bimbogeri said:
Lol x

Hun you want' Marians Complete Guide to being a Nail Technician ( :o crikey I think thats the right title) - in fact new one is out now..that will help you out on nails...that's if you don't already have it, its a great book

I've got it!!!! Yes it is Brill....half way through it now and would highly recommend everyone read it......gotta get to know it all you see me!!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

AMB XX

we were told at college to put vasaleine (sp) round cuticle, then the cotten soaked in acetone, then foil. when you remove you do the whole luxury manicure with lots of natural oils, and strengthening nail varnish to-boot.

the vasaleine was just to try to minimise the acetone getting on to the skin, the moisture came afterwards.

I hate removing nails, i have to wear gloves to prevent mine being lost, and i hate latex gloves! i always end up taking them off to do something, then forget to put them back of and ruin my nails. you can gaurantee, i've just done them too!!!!

luckybird21 said:
we were told at college to put vasaleine (sp) round cuticle !!!!
also a petroleum based product not aux naturelle!!!

Mrs Geek is right, baby oil is refined so has chemicals in it and is not natural, you certainly wouldn't use baby oil for massage!

Better to use vegetable oils or virgin olive oil. I put olive oil in my acetone and must admit my skin does not go dry, although my nails are soft after extensions.

By the way that book is brilliant, I use it as my reference book.

Deb379

I have heard about putting solar oil on before soaking to protect skin. I asked GMG about this at Excel and he said he couldn't see the benefit and suggested it's better to use tip remover rather than acetone.

I'm guessing you then don't need to use oil as the tip remover (contains buffers or is buffered??) that prevent the dryness experienced with acetone.

I am prepared to be corrected....

Bx

Latest posts

Back