PopIts - do u want to make or lose money?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now heres a problem as far as I can see. For those clients who have 'normal' shaped nails, they will be able to benefit from having a cheaper service by using Popits. But for anyone who has nails which don't conform to the norm will have to pay extra to have couture nails. :confused:

Now that doesn't seem right that we will charge more for those who by a quirk of fate have a different shaped nail. If it were me I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy to be told that my nails will cost me more because of their shape.
It doesn't seem anything different to me then charging extra for custom blending.

THIS IS AN EXTRACT FROM GIGI'S ARTICAL What are PopIts???
For years many have been wondering how they will ever be able to compete with discount salons … but when you use PopIts , you can but with much better results than the discount salon will ever be able to deliver.

I agree with everything Gigi has said but I have to wonder....What is going to happen when the NSS salons get their mits on PopIts?? Surly they have at least 1 trained tech amoung them.There for they will have no problems buying them.

So from what The Geek has said, are we simply just looking at one of full sets to increase revenue as rebalancing hasn't really been covered yet?

I haven't seen the system in the flesh, I can understand how initial full set application will reduce timing and increase revenue, but can't see how a rebalance will work to also reduce timings and increase bread and butter revenue.

People always love custom and couture and hence there will always be a market for it.[/I] Don't know how to do a quote box!

Yes they do but this also depends on your customer base, location, marketing, demographics in your area, money to spend on advertising, kudos, recommendation, business acumen, local disposable incomes etc not everyone is able to catch this type of client.....or maybe it's a reflection that there are just too many techs out there competing with each other, popits or not or too many great, competent techs going about business in the wrong way.

So from what The Geek has said, are we simply just looking at one of full sets to increase revenue as rebalancing hasn't really been covered yet?

I haven't seen the system in the flesh, I can understand how initial full set application will reduce timing and increase revenue, but can't see how a rebalance will work to also reduce timings and increase bread and butter revenue.

If you check out the 'Whats New in the Last 24 hours' Gigi has explained about rebalancing using poppits and it will definitely save time because there is no finishing to be done eg, creating shape, apex and buffing etc.

If you check out the 'Whats New in the Last 24 hours' Gigi has explained about rebalancing using poppits and it will definitely save time because there is no finishing to be done eg, creating shape, apex and buffing etc.
Thank you I will go and look for that now.....just found it........what is the projected timing for a competent french rebalance?

Now heres a problem as far as I can see. For those clients who have 'normal' shaped nails, they will be able to benefit from having a cheaper service by using Popits. But for anyone who has nails which don't conform to the norm will have to pay extra to have couture nails. :confused:

Now that doesn't seem right that we will charge more for those who by a quirk of fate have a different shaped nail. If it were me I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy to be told that my nails will cost me more because of their shape.

I can immediately think of nail biters. It takes a lot of skill. and not for the novice tech. to apply a good set of nails that last on a serial cannibal.

As for all the price dropping, I've been in nails for 7 years. When I started there was virtually no competition and prices were set at a far more realistic rate. All I have seen is prices drop and drop, and this is caused mainly by NSS but also the hobby tech who doesn't actually take nails seriously as a living.

Also what got me into nails was having my nails done. I went to my local nail bar and had a choice of paying £25 for a Rookie set, up to £44 for a Master technician. I chose to go for the cheap option as I didn't have a clue what nails were about or if I would like them. After my first visit my tech was promoted to technician and all her prices went up quite drastically, but I was happy to pay for the additional skills that she had gained.

So you could market your couture sets (thatnks Sam I think that sounds nicer than bespoke) for those who have problem nails etc, and Poppits for those who maybe want a quick in and out if their nails are up to it.

As far as rebalancing, that pretty quick too, though not quite as radical of a time drop as a full set.

When rebalancing a PopIt nail, you still have your file prep, but everything else is the same benefit as a PopIt nail (i.e. application, no finishing).

The real beauty in my eyes with rebalancing a PopIt is this:
Most professionals work wayyyy too thick. This equates to substantially more finishing and file prep during application (which naturally leads to more aggressive techniques when finishing or rebalancing) the more you file (and the more aggressive you are) the weaker you make the enhancement, which means the thicker it has to be!
Since there is little or no finishing with a PopIt and the results are thin nails, you are leaving the enhancement substantially stronger AND thinner all at the same time. In other words, they will be naturally faster to rebalance!

Just thought of something.

Rebalances are going to use up 'life' on the popits (as its been said somewhere that they cant be used more than 3 times) but in a normal rebalance you wouldnt use up a tip - so to use a popit on a rebalance - isnt going to be cost effective.

Not a negative comment - just a quiery - correct me if I have it all wrong here...

So how long, approximately, presuming no lifting and no breakages, is an ordinary (not French) rebalance supposed to take using PopIts?

There is a huge difference in everyone's timings for rebalancing when you read previous threads. Anything from 40 minutes to 3 hours!!!! You all have to try for yourselves...if you spend 15 minutes on finishing when rebalancing, then you will SAVE 15 minutes!

If you spend 15 minutes on application of zones 2 and 3, then you will probably save 8-10 minutes, and pro rata.

Just thought of something.

Rebalances are going to use up 'life' on the popits (as its been said somewhere that they cant be used more than 3 times) but in a normal rebalance you wouldnt use up a tip - so to use a popit on a rebalance - isnt going to be cost effective.

Not a negative comment - just a quiery - correct me if I have it all wrong here...

You have NO finishing, do you know the cost to yourself for files and buffers used in finishing? And the cost to yourself in the TIME spent on your finishing (by far the biggest cost saving).:)

Sorry - i cant find this thread bout rebalance.

Im not very good at search dont think, never seem to find what I need.

Would someone be able to put a link to it, on this thread - ta v much.

It does - thanks x

You have NO finishing, do you know the cost to yourself for files and buffers used in finishing? And the cost to yourself in the TIME spent on your finishing (by far the biggest cost saving).:)

Thanks gotcha now.

I didnt even consider files and buffers - and I abolutely Hate buffing.

ta x

For those of you still wanting to see a demonstration on popits we have our Christmas open day tomorrow and there will be demos all day at the The Creative Nail Academy Manchester, ring us for directions if you want to call down 01942 677728

Hello Geekys,

To start off – I seriously get peeved with this site sometimes!!!

I’m probably one of the lucky ones who has very little competition from true professionals but am surrounded by NSS – this is all most of my clientele have ever known.

BUT – it gets me really annoyed when people keep saying “oh no, don’t compete with the NSS! Have pride in your work! Charge more, people will be curious!” etc etc and so on.
Why do people think so many techs give up nails?? Even if people make it passed the hurdles of accomplishing fair / good / fantastic sets, then there is still the issue of gaining & keeping clients!
First issue for clients is money, second issue is time – I think they get the complete different & professional look as a bonus the first time they come to us – that’s why they never go back to NSS.
My local NSS charge between £20 - £25 for a f/s.

I charge £25 natural, w/tips £30 & p&w £35.
I could not charge more than this in a million years! And I have recently gone and checked through all my consult cards and found most of my regulars come from out of the area! So what about this massive pool of people in my area around me?? THEY DO NOT WANT TO PAY MORE! Most locals I do have love the nails but have said they’re too pricey and only for a Christmas, birthday or special occasion treat!

I think popits are good BUT I prefer my hand-made nails a lot more, and so do my regulars so far. HOWEVER, I will be using them and will be charging only £20!! YES! ONLY £20!
I want to attract all those people who have WONDERED: “I wonder why her prices are so high?? Nevermind, they’re too expensive”. That’s as far as they get – never to think of you again.
Well, if I charge less, this will attract them, and once I reel them in, I have the opportunity to sing all the praises of the nail world and educate them, and to give them the bonus of seeing what real professional nails look like! Hopefully, I will have gained a new regular client where otherwise, they would have never even considered ringing up for an appointment.

I am using popits as purely a new set option only just to get new clients through the door, all my rebalance prices are staying the same – this is a “catch the fishy” promotion – so once they’re hooked, hopefully I’ll bag ‘em for life! lol

Also, I think people sometimes forget that not everyone is charging at a base price of £35/£40.
I think people are embarrassed to say on this site they charge £20/£25 because that’s all they can get in they’re area. I love the work I accomplish and am proud of it, but I am also happy with my prices. I have said it before and will again, as great as I know some of you are at doing nails, I personally feel that charging £40 + is plain greedy – but hey, maybe if I could charge that much in my area, maybe I would too…?

So I’m all for cheaper enhancements!
Attract those cheapo clients!

CHEAPO POPITS!! CHEAPO CLIENTS!!

And before you say it – I don’t mind what ‘type’ of clients I attract – I work from home & am a professional one on one service and always book a gap between clients – so no one sees each other (does that sound odd? lol)
As long as they don’t steal anything….. (lol)

MONEY IS MONEY GIRLFRIEND!
And I’m a BUSINESS BI-ATCH.

MOBY ... Prices completely depend on your overheads ... so I think it is quite wrong to say that 40.00 is greedy. Your overheads are very low if you are working from home, so naturally you can charge less.

Personally I think you are deluded to charge less for using PopIts.

Before PopIts, no handmade nail artist could compete with NSS on time ... NOW they can.

I also disagree completely with you ... women are more concerned with TIME than money ... if they weren't, they would not be using NSS because most NSS charge pretty much the same as you do. They are not necessarily cheaper and their prices are going up and up as they get more savvy and keep 'reeling them in' as you say.

You can be proud of your hand made nails, and you can be equally proud of your nails applied using PopIts. For the convenience of a 30 minute appointment, women will pay. Plenty of geeks are proving this every day.

I have decided I am definitely not going to offer Popits at a reduced cost, I am sticking to my usual price. I received my Popits today along with a load of other goodies I just could'nt resist buying whilst I was on the phone!! I'm going to start practicing like mad to get up to scratch with them. I've given it some thought and I'm still not sure about upping the price of my hand made nails just incase people go for Popits only, I will have to think a little longer on that one.

I find this whole scenario fascinating.

A little question to all geeks who reckon they will charge the same for PopIts as traditional hand made nails:

When you get a client who, for whatever reason, demands the old fashioned type of tip and overlay or sculpt, will you be happy to sit there for three times the amount of time, and accept the same money?

Latest posts

Back