Possible allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm allergic to cats, grass and dust and always get a very itchy thumb. You can't always see anything but dr said if you have allergies you can itch anywhere so I should think myself lucky it's my thumb [emoji23] xx

You're right to get the gloves. After 10 years of nails I developed a sensitivity to acetone and now wear gloves when using it or this happens and oh boy does it ever hurt View attachment 196277

I've tried the method of holding the wipe between my fingers but then it just flares up there instead.

I buy latex ones ATM and just dispose each time as the acetone does penetrate eventually x

Excuse crappy nails done with my bad hand lol

Bless you that looks sore, Have you tried the plastic backed pads from hands down? They may reduce your exposure, I do find solutions still seep through the nitrile gloves a little bit :(

I now wear a pair of marigolds & no longer have problems with using acetone, my thumbs used to look like the ones pictured, so sore.

That was a while ago and I've been vigilant with the gloves since. It's affected the skin on those fingers as heat shoots straight through much quicker than the other hand now

Once they're as bad as this it takes about 4/5 weeks to completely recover

Ciderella it all started with itching, months and months before it really came out x

That was a while ago and I've been vigilant with the gloves since. It's affected the skin on those fingers as heat shoots straight through much quicker than the other hand now

Once they're as bad as this it takes about 4/5 weeks to completely recover

Ciderella it all started with itching, months and months before it really came out x
Unfortunately it does sound like an allergy. I'm gutted. I've tried to be so careful and do everything right from the start.

You're right to get the gloves. After 10 years of nails I developed a sensitivity to acetone and now wear gloves when using it or this happens and oh boy does it ever hurt View attachment 196277

I've tried the method of holding the wipe between my fingers but then it just flares up there instead.

I buy latex ones ATM and just dispose each time as the acetone does penetrate eventually x

Wow that looks super sore

I've noticed that I'm getting sensitive to acetone. If ever j accidentally oversoak my pad and it trickles on to my hand it gets a bit red and irritated. Will definitely be wearing gloves from now on [emoji31] xx

Omg that looks so sore! Is it only acetone that you have this with?

I don't have anything visible, I just notice my hands and arms are more itchy than normal

yes just acetone atm. give it another 10 years i shall be reacting to the latex gloves! :eek:

OUCHY!!! What about using a pump top dispenser with the plastic back pads ...."hands down" ones are good , they sell them in Sallys X

Have you been back to doc's? What did they say Cinderella

Have you been back to doc's? What did they say Cinderella
I had to cancel Monday but I'm going this morning instead so fingers crossed....

Good luck

I'm back!

She was very helpful. Thinks I may have chemically induced asthma. My mum and both my girls had asthma and still have other allergies. I have had a few puffs of my cat's inhaler (don't ask!! Lol) last week and it did help the coughing.

I've to go for chest X Ray's, asthma tests at the nurse both before and after working and continue with steroid nasal spray, antihistamines and I've to try a reflux medicine. I'm sure I don't have reflux but she wasn't convinced and said it had to be ruled out.
Bad news is I don't like taking medication but if it helps and stops the cough getting worse etc then I'll go with it.

You've got a good gp! Glad she's taking it seriously just keep onto of the Meds see if things change x

You've got a good gp! Glad she's taking it seriously just keep onto of the Meds see if things change x
She's really pleased my business is going well and asks at every appointment how I'm doing. Early days but feel better and less anxious now I've been [emoji4] x

Thanks all for the advice x

That's good, she sounds thorough and very nice :)

Glad you're feeling better about things x

A good GP is worth their weight in gold.

So glad you've got a route of options x

Latest posts

Back