Possible allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseca

Reaction score
Hi all 1st off let me say how this site has helped me so much i am pretty new to this and love this proffesion with a passion.I just got my cetificate on april 1st.I have been doing a lot of practice with freinds and family.I use the AKZENZ and the LCN products.About 3 weeks ago i started breaking out in rashes on my hands and face the dr told me i was allergic to something I was using.I have tried to narrow it down and it seems like its the dust even the gel cleaner and the cuticle oil.So i stopped for a couple weeks and started using gloves and have a good vent.I did my daughters nails and a freind of hers yesterday and wore glove and be darned if i didnt wake up this morning with sore itchy hands blistering under the skin.I dont want to give up this perfession i enjoy it so much does any one have any suggestion as to wha i can use for the rash or even what line i can switch to I hate to cause i have spent a small fortune on my gels would love some advice ty you all:cry:

cnd brisa gel is hypoallergic try this maybe

your doctor should send you to do allegic tests to see what is the substance that causes your allergy

I found i had this also! a mild steroid cream helped my hands and just claening face and hands after each set :) i am also asthmatic so i am going to give popets ago as i find my chest is bad after doing a few set's :-( i have found this site fantastic also good luck x

There is nothing truly hypoallergenic. Someone will always be sensitive to everything.

it sounds like you are suffering from overexposure. Gel is often a culprit as there is almost always a small amount of unreacted monomer on the surface.

You have tried working with gloves but at what point did you put the gloves on and what is around you before you put the gloves on? Are they nitrile gloves?

Dust from gel is potentially an allergen. Is there dust around where you work?

Ive been getting an allergic reaction for the last few months, its been driving me nuts!!!:)At last Ive found a way to avoid it,Im pretty sure Im getting it from the monomer..I put Vaseline on my 2 fingers and thumb Im holding my brush with and wrap them in Flexi wrap,my left hand I wear a cotton glove so the dust is not falling directly on my hand,..I was wearing Nytrile gloves previously but for some reason my right hand still flared up, and I also take an antihistamean tablet!!seems to do the job for me,and Im so pleased Ive found away round it..although Im not too keen about the tablets all the time.!

Good luck hope you sort it,I know how frustrating it is for you.:mad:

Hi ty for replying to my question.Yes it is very frustrating.Been doing a lot of reading and looking up things to help.Found some really good information on hooked on nails site it makes a lot of sence while i was reading it.I have been to the dr and he put me on a tablet and a cream.So it seems to be clearing up then I try another set,and Wabam its back the itchyness the blisters under the skin flared cuticles.I wear a strech vinal beauticians glove I started wearing it about 3 weeks ago.And as soon as I am done i wash up i do step by step.I talked to my the instructor where i went and she said to try another Gel.But I am going to try what you all have suggested and hopefully I will find something that works for me.Again I thank you all...Rose

Been there, hun... :cry: I also had yellow blisters all over, and then they would break and my skin would crack and blood came out :Scared: no matter what I did, gloves, masks, long sleeves, washing after every client... nothing helped. Then I went looking for another gel. But I made a mistake, because any 'another' gel caused the same thing. I spent a fortune and I'm stuck with loads of bottles that I'm scared to touch. Then I learned about hypoalergenic gels like Brisa, etc. I use Abalico (which is acid free) now and I'm fine. I don't know which systems are available for you, but don't just go and buy loads of stuff, ask first and compare ingreedients with ones in gels you used to work with.

Hi I am the same. Every time I use my gel products my hands break out in a rash. It appears on my ears and neck and drives me crazy itching. I start to get symptoms like I am getting a head cold. If I go two days without using the gel it settles down. I can use L & P with no probs. I have tried cotton lined gloves but they didnt help. I have been researching a new gel product to use and I have read a lot of good regarding Brisa.
I now find as well as using the gel on others, I can't wear it. The rash comes and stays until I buff off the gel. I have tried eliminating every product from cleansers to primers one at a time except the gel itself so I can only assume that it is the actual gel.
I would be interested to hear any info you find regarding your allergy
Cheers
Karen

Just to add a bit to the allergy train of thought. I have been doing my sisters nails for 6 years. Recently we changed from tip and overlay acrylic with polish to sculpted pink and white acrylic with a uv gel top coat. My sister is severely latex allergic and suffers from anaphylaxia. We have now after a few months of whittling away at possible causes of her facial allergy eruption managed to work out that it was not everything else going on such as new aircon office, new car, and many other things it is a product we used on her nails. It is the UV Gel Topcoat I use. The chemical that causes her reaction is trimethacrylate. We have now removed the uv topcoat from her treatment and we are back to perfect nails and no allergy.

She has advised me that she had read a recent article re allergy and trimethacrylate is a common irritant. Maybe try looking at products that do not contain this. My base and builder gels do not list this on their contents only the top coat.

Just a bit of info that may be useful. I know this has worked for my sis and she is soooooo glad to have her lovely nails back after weeks and weeks without them.

Latest posts

Back