Possible new Client with sore nails from bad removal - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammi010

Reaction score
I am mobile and incredibly lucky in that in that I have a lovely, loyal client base, a lot of which are good friends or have become good friends. The downside to this is that I don't have a vast experience of new clients and problem nails.

This afternoon I have been asked by a friend of a client friend to tip and gel her nails.

She has had gel enhancements for a while, went through a rough patch with her sister in hospital and so didn't keep up with her maintenance appointments. Resulting in enhancements getting too long, her filing them down herself, eventually picking them off as they lifted and broke down, and then taking to her nails with a file to buff off the jagged pieces of gel left behind, but obviously getting carried away and doing damage, followed by a week of picking and catching them.

They are not overly horrendous but they aren't great and definitely have sore spots, but she is deperate for her 'nails back for Christmas'

My biggest worry is heat spike. I know I could get round this with L&P but all my clients are gel, so it's been over two years since I've done L&P.

I am mobile and incredibly lucky in that in that I have a lovely, loyal client base, a lot of which are good friends or have become good friends. The downside to this is that I don't have a vast experience of new clients and problem nails.

This afternoon I have been asked by a friend of a client friend to tip and gel her nails.

She has had gel enhancements for a while, went through a rough patch with her sister in hospital and so didn't keep up with her maintenance appointments. Resulting in enhancements getting too long, her filing them down herself, eventually picking them off as they lifted and broke down, and then taking to her nails with a file to buff off the jagged pieces of gel left behind, but obviously getting carried away and doing damage, followed by a week of picking and catching them.

They are not overly horrendous but they aren't great and definitely have sore spots, but she is deperate for her 'nails back for Christmas'

My biggest worry is heat spike. I know I could get round this with L&P but all my clients are gel, so it's been over two years since I've done L&P.
Add protection first with some thin layers of gel and then build your structure. By doing this you should minimise any heat spike.

I'm quite surprised you are not aware of this! It is pretty basic information and a basic understanding of how most gels work. Unless I am misunderstanding your post.

Last edited:

Hiya,
I would apply a very thin layer of gel first, that should stop the heat spikes, or at least significantly reduce them! HTH's :)

Add protection first with some thin layers of gel and then build your structure. By doing this you should minimise any heat spike.

I'm quite surprised you are not aware of this!

Aaaah beat me to it Geeg! lol:green:

I'm quite surprised you are not aware of this! It is pretty basic information and a basic understanding of how most gels work. Unless I am misunderstanding your post.

I suppose I do/did really, as I said I have been incredibly lucky with the nails I've had to work on so have never had to do a set on damaged nails so went into a bit of an unnecessary panic questioning myself :smack:

I guess the downside of not working in a salon is that you don't get to see and experience the variety of nails that can walk through a door and have colleagues to bounce things off.

I suppose I do/did really, as I said I have been incredibly lucky with the nails I've had to work on so have never had to do a set on damaged nails so went into a bit of an unnecessary panic questioning myself :smack:

I guess the downside of not working in a salon is that you don't get to see and experience the variety of nails that can walk through a door and have colleagues to bounce things off.

Well there is nothing wrong with seeking advice and confirmation .. it just surprised me a little :hug:

Salon experience is pretty varied but so too I should think is what you are doing. I was like you .. I never had collegues for years that I could share ideas with ... most people did not know what enhancements even were?? Challenges were different for me than the ones you face today but still just as challenging. Many a time my salon lights were burning well past 10.00 at night and I would get home to find notes from my young son whose bed time I had missed .. again!! Funnily enough, rather than him feeling like I was a bad mum, he really admires me (so he says) ... it was just the way it had to be at the time .. but I digress! :rolleyes:

I'm sure with that bit of extra care and attention your client will not be discomforted, and if she is a bit, then she has asked for it in a sense and will have to take the consequences if she must have nails for Christmas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back