Possibly MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccaj

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have spent the last hour doing a search on MMA but cant find what I am looking for. I have absolutely no experience of MMA. Im wondering if anyone can give some advice on the following question.

I had a new client yesterday who had her nails done at a cheap NSS while on holiday in Australia. On her return she booked with me to have one nail repaired and all nails greatly shortened (she did ask for them to be shorter at the time but as the tech didnt speak any English she got what she was given). All nails required back filling as well.

I soaked the broken nail, which didn't soak off very well (I did at this point wonder if it could possibly be MMA but didn't notice any strange smell). I seemed to be doing an awful lot of filing and the whole job took me ages to complete.

By the time I was finished I had a stinking headache, and felt quite ill all evening which put me in bed early.

Today I still have the headache, which is very different to any I have had before. It seems to be mainly centred between the eyebrows and across the brow bones. It seems a bit extreme but I am now wondering if could have anything to do with the nails I did yesterday.

Could the nails have been MMA? Could the headache be a side effect from inhaling the dust?

Thanks to all who read and respond.

Im not so sure about the headaches , but I always have noticed when Ive touched MMA my hands itch like mad the next day.:confused:

Hi Becks, It could have been inhaling the dust but it could also have been you were frowning and stressing working on that craptastic mess. Mind, our weather here in NZ is not the best with all the fronts coming through....add all three together and you've got a headache supreme!

I've had one for two days, lurking, cos of the weather, and I had one the entire week I was in training at EZF cos I was stressing out.....get thee some Nurofen plus and hydrate thyself with heaps of water to clear out your system. Give yourself a nice hot foot bath and massage. You poor baby!

Get a mask or two as well in case you run into this again so you *don't* breathe the dust in.

And yes, it probably was MMA although its a big no no in Oz as well. I had my first NZ set of MMA mess to work on already and it was odd cos it didn't have the smell (fishy) but it was a bear to file down. The other telltale sign is the colour of the product, its really opaque and creamy almost beige coloured, more so than your usual natural powder, if you know what I mean. I am going to get myself some 80 grit files to keep along with masks for my MMA rescue kit :).

Feel better! :)

Nancy

Apparently when MMA soaks off it has a 'chewing-gum' type effect, rather than just coming off the nail.

Am feeling much better this morning after a good nights sleep.

I am kicking myself though; as soon as I saw the gooey stuff after trying to soak nail off alarm bells did start ringing, but even then I didn't turn on my extractor fan. I had the fan especially installed and never use it. "Naughty, I know, but lesson learnt" . MMA dust or stress? pretty sure I had both. Thanks for your replies.

I wonder if it maybe was your sinuses which were hurting? Maybe the dust irritated them? I think it more likely to be the stress though. Glad you feel a lot better. xx

I agree with the sinus thing too.... I have a hummer dinger head ache most days that i leave work.. For me it is sitting in the one spot with my head down all day and the other is the dust in my sinus.. i always get my head ache across my brow and behind ,y right eye.... I have even had scans and brain scans and eye testing to see if that is the cause. I also sit next to the door.. almost in the car park...lol so i get the road dust too... frustrating but i love my work... i keep the nurofen plus in my work draw and pop a couple when i feel it...
I also have a sinus rinse that i use at night.. it helps flush all that dust out..
HTH XX
Mel

A sinus rinse? Is that where you squirt the water up one nostril to the other? I've seen them on a couple of programmes on tv. Can you tell me a bit more about it? my dsughter is really bothered by her sinuses. The doc was talking about an op to remove bone, but she doesn't want anything so dramatic.

Thanks ladies. Sinus um. I have never suffered from sinus problems before but my husband does terribly, Unfortunately i haven't had much sympathy for him but will be a little (just a little) more sympathetic in future. As far as the nasal wash; I hear it is extremely effective if used regularly.

Latest posts

Back